Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
This is the most unsure I have ever seen the rumormills before an Apple announcement. It seems that no two sites have agreeing ideas.

ELYXR

macrumors regular
Dec 2, 2002
Seattle
What would be the usefullness of a video iPod? Compaq was offering an iPaq bundled with a 1GB IBM smartdrive with a number of movies preloaded on it. I thought the idea was interesting, but it doesn't appear that it took off. I wouldn't want to watch a movie on a 3.5" screen that's for sure! The iPod's screen would have to be even smaller unless the current design was radically altered. I hope they don't do it ... I would like to see the iNewt. Ever notice that it's 2003, the Newton hasn't been produced since 1996-7 and the URL Newton.com is still pointing to Apple.com ... Interesting. ;)

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
Originally posted by ELYXR
Newton hasn't been produced since 1996-7 and the URL Newton.com is still pointing to Apple.com ... Interesting. ;)

Its really not surprising that newton.com is still pointing to Apple... It probably still will be in another few years. Domain names only cost about $10 a year.

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Originally posted by Chaszmyr

Its really not surprising that newton.com is still pointing to Apple... It probably still will be in another few years. Domain names only cost about $10 a year.

It probably will forever. They will also probably hold the copyright forever also. This is to keep other people from misusing the name and tainting Apples good name.

OutThere

macrumors 603
Dec 19, 2002
NYC
It would be horrible if apple unveiled a PDA at the expo, I really hope that they have some really cool iPod stuff, I want to get one anyway and watching movies would jsut be more enticing

Over Achiever

macrumors 68000
I think the video iPod aka iPodII is what people are hoping as the response to the Archos release of the Jukebox Multimedia 20. This is simliar to the functionality that many are predicting iPodII to have...except in the smaller, slimmer iPod enclosure. Hopefully the cost is ok too...the Archos is $379 for 20 GB of space. ;)

Some good things about it:
It supports USB 2.0 and firewire, but not firewire charging ;)
It supports MP3, MP3 VBR, AVI (audio), MPEG-4, DIVX, AVI (video), JPEG and BMP (photo)
It has 1.5" COLOR LCD (237x234) :D and/or TV output
It has stereo analog & digital Line In.
It also has composite video/ earphone/ line out jack.
It has a built-in microphone. ;)
Dimensions: 4.3" x 3.1" x 1.1" and 10.23 oz
I'm not sure if it supports iTunes.

Here is what it looks like: (note it has a color screen :p)
jbmm_20.jpg

It can also have add-ons like these:
jbmm_cm.png
jbmm_pm.png

At $379, this 20 GB isn't that bad if one doesn't mind the larger size. This is what many iPodII rumors have been based/hoped to be. And I believe they are right. :D

gooddog

macrumors regular
Mar 22, 2002
Originally posted by ELYXR
What would be the usefullness of a video iPod? Compaq was offering an iPaq bundled with a 1GB IBM smartdrive with a number of movies preloaded on it. I thought the idea was interesting, but it doesn't appear that it took off. I wouldn't want to watch a movie on a 3.5" screen that's for sure! The iPod's screen would have to be even smaller unless the current design was radically altered. I hope they don't do it ... I would like to see the iNewt. Ever notice that it's 2003, the Newton hasn't been produced since 1996-7 and the URL Newton.com is still pointing to Apple.com ... Interesting. ;)

About the size of a Palm Pilot ---

Archos Jukebox Multimedia 20 with AV cable to play back on your TV,

at a little less than VHS quality,

if you dont like the 1.5" onboard LCD.

$400

Store personal files +

JBM card reader +

Digital 1.3 Megapixel camera / MP4 camcorder +

MPEG 4 video playback (20 to 40 hours capacity) +

JPEG viewer (tens of thousands of digital photos) +

MP3 music (records these on the fly) (5,000 songs) +

20 GB hard drive +

Wheel-look control iPod wannabe :)

---Somebody else thinks it's a good idea.

TechTV gave it a good review.

Great baby sitter on the go ....
Great presentation tool on the go...

---------

Now, Apple can have a 16 X 9 hi-def LCD slide up from the new iPod

or swing out gate-wise ... keep the present face and wheel...

the same size as the iPod itself , with a 40 GB drive and FireWire/USB2

...and Palm App's too :)

---gooddog

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.