Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chuchichan2524

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 17, 2005
I'm going to be purchasing a new laptop and was wondering whether it's worth the extra money for a MacBook Pro. I'd primarily be using the laptop with the iSight for video chatting, photo editing/printing, email, other apps.

Also, is 1GB of RAM recommended? Or should I be going higher? Thanks in advance.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
It's always nice to have the latest which is why getting an Intel-based Mac is probably a good idea in terms of future-proofing. In other words, get the MacBook.

Apparently the Intel Macs are quite RAM hungry as a result of Rosetta (the mechanism by which PPC apps are run on Intel machines) so get at least 1GB, maybe more if you can afford it. :)

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Get the MacBook if you want to be the one who finds out the hard way how hard it is to get your favorite apps to work. Get a powerbook if you don't want to have to tamper with everything. If you like to tamper, get a dell.

Glenn Wolsey

macrumors 65816
Nov 24, 2005
New Zealand
jessica. said:
Get the MacBook if you want to be the one who finds out the hard way how hard it is to get your favorite apps to work. Get a powerbook if you don't want to have to tamper with everything. If you like to tamper, get a dell.

So in other words your suggesting he gets a PowerBook? :D

Cybix

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2006
Western Australia
get the macbook pro for sure. people saying that it will give you issues with software and what not are probably jealous because they already have a powerbook, or something like that :)

besides, apps are all being re-written for the intel chip anyway. the machine is seriously more advanced than previous models. Why on earth would you bother with the older technology?

I'm a generic PC user (windows).. I've pre-ordered a macbook Pro, it will be my first apple machine since the 80's when I had an Apple IIc.

The new technology in the unit's is half what helped me make my mind in the purchase.

kretzy

macrumors 604
Sep 11, 2004
Canberra, Australia
Get the MacBook. There's very little point to buying outdated technology, unless you really need something to run on PPC. Most of the UB issues will be over in around 6 months so everything will be good.

spencecb

Suspended
Nov 20, 2003
Get the MacBook Pro. Think of how nice of a computer it is now, and then when more software is released to run natively on it, you will get a nice little "speed bump" in performance a little down the road. It's like the computer that keeps on giving!

chuchichan2524

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 17, 2005
Thanks for the advice. My next question would be, is it worth getting the 2hz (or even the 2.16 ghz) model? Should I be upgrading to 2gb ram? Again, I'll be using the video chat, photo editing, to play movie...etc...the usual stuff.

Thanks...

nospleen

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2002
Texas
chuchichan2524 said:
Thanks for the advice. My next question would be, is it worth getting the 2hz (or even the 2.16 ghz) model? Should I be upgrading to 2gb ram? Again, I'll be using the video chat, photo editing, to play movie...etc...the usual stuff.

Thanks...

I think the 1.83 would suit you fine. But, I would get the 2.0. You get twice the ram, and still an open slot, twice the video memory, and a bigger harddrive. I think the 2.16 costs a little too much to make it worth it.

Ryan T.

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2005
Rochester, NY
I guess it depends on if you want your computer to get faster or slower over the next couple of years.

The MBP will only get faster as universal apps are developed, and as more applications take advantage of the dual core chip.

The G4 is just going to become more and more dated.

MUCKYFINGERS

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2005
CA
the g4 runs fine but since the intel macs are out you may as well spring for newer technology if money is not an issue.

Electro Funk

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2005
The Opium Garden
jessica. said:

All of my "Favorite" Apps are running great under rosetta on the new imac core duo... in fact they are running so much faster than on my pbook g4 800mhz that im amazed! i cant imagin how fast they will run when i get the universals for everythng:D and the universals i do have.... wow;)

the new imac will keep me happy until revb macbook pro and then i will be breaking out the plastic again:D the pbg4 has become an email checker and forum browser in the living room:p

Edit: did i mention i added the 2 gig of ram? maybe rosetta is running a little slower for people who didn't upgrade...

AJBMatrix

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2006
Athens, Georgia
Get the MacBook Pro 1.83,

That is all you really need according to the specs that you posted. Unless your really want just a little more power and the better video card. I would suggest that you get a RAM upgrade elsewhere. It would be well worth your time and money. You could always go for the 2.0 but the 2.1 is just not worth the extra cost. The 2.0 if you want it to fly not only now and tomorrow but if you want it to fly on "Next Tuesday" then the 2.0 is what you would want.

mvelinder

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2006
Since we're talking about upgrades... what about the upgrade of 7200rpm instead of 5400rpm on the 100GB harddrive?

I'll be using it for about the same things as chuchichan2524 described.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
mvelinder said:
Since we're talking about upgrades... what about the upgrade of 7200rpm instead of 5400rpm on the 100GB harddrive?

I'll be using it for about the same things as chuchichan2524 described.
My rule of thumb is to ALWAYS get a faster drive if it is an option.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.