Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bill4588

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 2, 2006
Kennesaw, GA
When I get an iBook do you recommend that I get speakers to replace the ones that are built into the ibook? Or are they good enough for music?

CoMpX

macrumors 65816
Jun 29, 2005
New Jersey
They are kinda all-right for music, but you will most likely want to get separate speakers. They have absolutely NO bass whatsoever.

mikejames

macrumors member
Nov 2, 2005
England
bill4588 said:
When I get an iBook do you recommend that I get speakers to replace the ones that are built into the ibook? Or are they good enough for music?

I'm no expert but my Mum's got an ibook and the sound is fine for general use but if you're really into music (like me) then I would definately recommend you get external speakers.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
bill4588 said:
dang more money....this is going to be used in college so i dont have a ton of money lol.

One less beer each weekend night for a few weeks. Consider this your first college lesson.

zoziw

macrumors member
Feb 19, 2006
Canada
bill4588 said:

Buy the iBook, take it home and give a listen. Once you agree with the other posters here that they suck you can go buy some external speakers. :)

Seriously, they are ok for the little blips and tings that an OS makes when you click on something you shouldn't and i don't even mind them for listening to streaming newscasts but not for music or anything meant to be enjoyed.

jadekitty24

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2005
The poor section of Connecticut
You can get a decent set of speakers for pretty cheap now. I bought an Altec Lansing set for $35. 2 highs and a sub-woofer. For what they cost they kick ass. I believe these would be a great fit for a college student.

PS-oh yeah, the iBook speakers suck for music.

zathras

macrumors member
Nov 6, 2005
North AL
Some things sound ok - some sound bad. Just get it and try it out. Maybe invest in some nice headphones so as to not annoy your classmates :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.