Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JCRIVERO

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 20, 2006
I just upgraded my graphics card to a Radeon 800Xt to support a new 30 inch screen. Everything works fine except iMovie. The application opens from dock, reads files, but does not respond when I click on clips and will not respond to mouse for closing (although it can be quit via menu). Has anyone else experienced problems with iMovie when upgrading graphics cards? Any ideas on how to diagnose or fix problme?

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
That sucks. :(

Maybe try the usual removal of preferences. In this case, try dragging a file or two named com.apple.iMovie.plist to the Desktop and reopen iMovie. :)

JCRIVERO

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 20, 2006
Thanks MJ--but I tried that and it doesn't work. It's strange, the menu driven commands all work (things like export, quit, open....except for "select all) but I can't activate anything in the iMovie window with the mouse. The movie files are on an external drive, but it's reading the data so I know the drive is working. I have to think this has something to do with the new graphics card.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Were there two preference files?

I reckon it may be worthwhile to test your theory. Do you still have the old GPU? If so, throw it back in and see how iMovie likes it. Is this possible? :)

JCRIVERO

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 20, 2006
You read my mind, MJ. As soon as I get home I am going to try the old card. I don't like to keep mucking around in there--but that is one way to isolate the problem. Before I do that, though, I thought I'd re-install ilife '06 (which I've been using for the last month) to see if for some reason imovie is hung up on the old hardware. What do you think?

There was only one preference file for imovie.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.