Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

arcsbite

Original poster
Jan 14, 2006
ok, simple question.
if you could have either...

a 20" Apple Cinema Display
or
A Dell 2405FPW 24" Display

which would you choose and why?

I'm torn, as I want the apple for the look, and the fact that it's apple, so guaranteed quality.
but I want the dell for the extra space and the inputs..

..plus, what's the situation with HD on these?

EDIT - Anyone know much about HDCP? and how it will affect us? I've been reading into it, it sounds (to me) like encryption for HD DVD's ect (I think)
apparently in 90% of reviews, the only con to the 2405FPW is that it doesn't "support" HDCP...does this matter?

I also read that the 2407FPW is due to be released on the 24th of Feb, now if this one has HDCP, but is more expensive...which would be the best way to go?
Thanks

asencif

macrumors 6502
Dec 21, 2005
Style vs. Size

Well I can definetly understand about wanting to stick with an ACD since the look is the best. However, the 2405FPW is bigger and has more USB inputs as well as Component Video, S-Video, and can have two systems connected to it. I would take the 2405 at this point especially if you plan to play 1080i HD media on it. The 20' ACD can only display 720i, so in this case I would go with the 2405FPW. I think Apple needs to lower the price a bit and revamp the ACD line to include more inputs. The style is awesome and be the selling point for most people, but I know many have gone for the Dells in these forums.

arcsbite

Original poster
Jan 14, 2006
see, now you have said almost word for word what my brain is telling me.
but there's this little voice that keeps going "but the ACD is sooooo pretty" lol

it would be insane to put aesthetics ahead of a bargain...but then...I bought an iPod *sigh*

Calvinatir

macrumors 6502
Nov 8, 2003
LA
I have the 2405FPW, and I love it. The quality is great and hey..you get a memory reader on the side of the monitor as well as 5 inputs

asencif

macrumors 6502
Dec 21, 2005
Designs

arcsbite said:
see, now you have said almost word for word what my brain is telling me.
but there's this little voice that keeps going "but the ACD is sooooo pretty" lol

it would be insane to put aesthetics ahead of a bargain...but then...I bought an iPod *sigh*

Well yeah there are other MP3 player's out there that are cheaper, but in the case of the iPod the design goes into it's ease of use. The interface is so much user friendly than other players which have more of a computer navigation type interface. Also, iPod's are the MP3 players that work best on Macs and iTunes is awesome. I think in the ACD Vs 2405FPW the USB ports and other Video input option make it more expandable. Plus for most smaller isn't better when it comes to monitors.

arcsbite

Original poster
Jan 14, 2006
asencif said:
Well yeah there are other MP3 player's out there that are cheaper, but in the case of the iPod the design goes into it's ease of use. The interface is so much user friendly than other players which have more of a computer navigation type interface. Also, iPod's are the MP3 players that work best on Macs and iTunes is awesome. I think in the ACD Vs 2405FPW the USB ports and other Video input option make it more expandable. Plus for most smaller isn't better when it comes to monitors.

Several good points.
but, the ACD comes with USB & Firewire ports too. and is choosing a bigger size over a smaller but more high quality screen a good choice?

not that I'm saying ACD's are better quality, I've only used them once or twice and i've never even seen a 2405FPW before lol
just playing devils advocate.

asencif

macrumors 6502
Dec 21, 2005
Quality

arcsbite said:
Several good points.
but, the ACD comes with USB & Firewire ports too. and is choosing a bigger size over a smaller but more high quality screen a good choice?

not that I'm saying ACD's are better quality, I've only used them once or twice and i've never even seen a 2405FPW before lol
just playing devils advocate.

According to many MCR members, the Dell and Apple screens are made from the same company. I think LG. Not sure. So quality is probably the same. The Firewire option is a good point. Don't know if the OP needs them though. Possibly something else for him to think about.

arcsbite

Original poster
Jan 14, 2006
asencif said:
According to many MCR members, the Dell and Apple screens are made from the same company. I think LG. Not sure. So quality is probably the same. The Firewire option is a good point. Don't know if the OP needs them though. Possibly something else for him to think about.

that would be me lol.
I was just looking at the pro's and cons, and to be honest, I only have 2 firewire peripherals, so it's not a big deal breaker.

I wasn't aware about the screens, that's interesting, and supports my "sane" voice (the one that isn't screaming "pay loads more money for a smaller screen that looks nice!!!")

adk

macrumors 68000
Nov 11, 2005
Stuck in the middle with you
Only Apple and Dell's 20" panels are from the same manufacturer. I would assume that the Dell 24" and Apple 20" are made by different companies. Anyways, I can only speak praise about my 20" dell. I use it on half brightness so it's not like staring into the sun (yes, this screen is that bright) and I use the other inputs to play playstation. Also, once you get through to the them dell's customer support is pretty good, I had a panel with weird red lines on it, and once I got through to somebody who knew what they were talking about, they actually overnighted me a new monitor.... wow!

arcsbite

Original poster
Jan 14, 2006
adk said:
Only Apple and Dell's 20" panels are from the same manufacturer. I would assume that the Dell 24" and Apple 20" are made by different companies. Anyways, I can only speak praise about my 20" dell. I use it on half brightness so it's not like staring into the sun (yes, this screen is that bright) and I use the other inputs to play playstation. Also, once you get through to the them dell's customer support is pretty good, I had a panel with weird red lines on it, and once I got through to somebody who knew what they were talking about, they actually overnighted me a new monitor.... wow!

ah, i'm glad you mentioned console use...

in the games forum, we were discussing hooking up consoles to monitors.
what do you think of the quality of the console through the screen?
some people have said it's crap dependant on what connectors you use, and also how would you compare it to playing playstation on say...a TV of a similar size?

I hope to hook up my Ps2 and 360 to it at some point (this is also another reason for wanting the Dell and not the Apple)

p0intblank

macrumors 68030
Sep 20, 2005
New Jersey
Well if you're planning to connect game consoles to it, then no question about it: go with the Dell monitor. I have the 2005FPW and love it. I just need to actually it more... I know what you're saying, though. I usually have to have my devices match each other, but I think this is an exception considering the awesome price the Dell sells for. You literally cannot find a better deal! It may not be that great to look at, but the black casing will grow on you.

munckee

macrumors 65816
Oct 27, 2005
Dell. No ifs, ands, or buts. I can't personally justify paying double because the ADC "looks pretty". The performance of the Dell is also plenty good for me (graphic designer), so overall, I'd rather save a few hundred bucks.

strydr

macrumors 6502
Mar 25, 2005
SoCal
I bought the 2405FPW last month, man what a nice monitor. I really wanted to buy the ACD, but the lower cost of the Dell sealed the deal. So it's not housed in pretty AL, and it doesn't say Apple on it (and it does say Dell on it)- So what, it's all about the picture quality, and that's superb. Go with the Dell, save some $$, and enjoy a very nice monitor.

dylanemcgregor

macrumors member
Oct 24, 2003
I'm taking it that the 2405FPW doesn't rotate like the 20" Ultrasharp? We just got two Dell UltraSharp 2005FPWs at work, and have really come to love the portrait mode. We keep one in landscape and one in portrait mode and it makes viewing certain types of content way easier...and we got two for about $100 more than a single 20" ACD would have cost. :D

-Dylan

weckart

macrumors 603
Nov 7, 2004
Of course it rotates, you just have to set the portrait mode manually before rotating. It detects this automatically in Windows, however. The Dell is also height-adjustable - another thing in its favour.

As far as screens go, if you have to choose between a Dell and Apple, always go for the Dell.

This thread comes up in one form or another every week. Perhaps it's time to make it a sticky :rolleyes:

Koodauw

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2003
Madison
arcsbite said:

See, I think exactly the opposite. I buy based on how I feel about the product. Does it move me. Every time I look at the ACD, I think wow, that thing sure is beautiful. I would love to sit in front of one.

I don't feel that way about the Dell. With a dell I would continue to be thinking, I know there is something I want more out there.

Some people are the opposite, and enjoy the 'deal' aspect more. Thinking about how much they saved brings them joy. Just depends on what type of person you are.

adk

macrumors 68000
Nov 11, 2005
Stuck in the middle with you
arcsbite said:
ah, i'm glad you mentioned console use...

in the games forum, we were discussing hooking up consoles to monitors.
what do you think of the quality of the console through the screen?
some people have said it's crap dependant on what connectors you use, and also how would you compare it to playing playstation on say...a TV of a similar size?

I hope to hook up my Ps2 and 360 to it at some point (this is also another reason for wanting the Dell and not the Apple)

I connect my playstation to my 2005FPW with a composite cable (or whatever the red/white/yellow ones are called) and quality isn't very good. The first problem is that I'm putting a 640x480 image onto a widscreen designed for 1680x1050, and the second problem is that I sit way closer to the monitor than I would a TV. Sure, it would also look like crap from two feet away on a 50" TV, but you sit much further away from it and you don't notice the bad quality as much.

mdavey

macrumors 6502a
Nov 1, 2005
arcsbite said:
a 20" Apple Cinema Display
or
A Dell 2405FPW 24" Display

I assume you can get them for about the same price and that is one reason you aren't considering the 23" Apple display.

I'd go for the Dell, if I had the money. Screen real-estate is really important for me (the 24" is 2.3mp, while the 20" is 1.7mp - that's 33% more pixels ;) ).

I think I've pretty much decided to personally. Whichever you choose, I'll be envious!

chaosbunny

macrumors 68020
munckee said:
Dell. No ifs, ands, or buts. I can't personally justify paying double because the ADC "looks pretty". The performance of the Dell is also plenty good for me (graphic designer), so overall, I'd rather save a few hundred bucks.

How can you be a designer and not justify buying something that looks good?

Koodauw said:
See, I think exactly the opposite. I buy based on how I feel about the product. Does it move me. Every time I look at the ACD, I think wow, that thing sure is beautiful. I would love to sit in front of one.

I don't feel that way about the Dell. With a dell I would continue to be thinking, I know there is something I want more out there.

Some people are the opposite, and enjoy the 'deal' aspect more. Thinking about how much they saved brings them joy. Just depends on what type of person you are.

At least someone who is feeling like I am! If I had not won my Eizo I had bought the 20" Apple Display. Only slightly more expensive than the 20" Dell and so much more fun to look at when you are working with it 10 hours a day.

To the op: You may want to have a closer look to the 21 Eizo monitor in my sig. After 2months of heavy use I can say this thing really has a good quality! In terms of brightness/contrast it blows both Apple and Dell displays away. And it has 5 years warranty.

Timepass

macrumors 65816
Jan 4, 2005
ok lets make a pros and cons list for each

Apple
Looks better when off and sitting on the desk
If you a true apple Zelot apple is the only way to go but you clearly are not since you are considering a dell. No true Zelot would ever consider anything but apple.
They have firewire ports
Cons
Cost an arm and a leg. More than likely massively over valued.
Only input is DVI.

Dell monitor
Bigger.
In review after review Dell monitors look better than Apple in displaying stuff. In the specs the dell monitor is better than apples.
Cheaper.
Much stronger value.
More usb Inputs
more inputs for the monitor it self. I want to also say it has a built in flash card reader (not sure on this one but not really that important)
Cons
It has dell on it. (not like it should matter)
No firewire inputs.
It does not look as nice.
No true apple zelot would even THINK about getting a dell but like I said before you are not a true apple zelot.

Minus the Zelot comments (which are mostly just made in jest). I thinking the dell is a much better monitor in every way. The lost of the firewire hub being the only thing but with the money you are going to save just buy one and glue it to the back of the monitor and boom you have a firewire hub on the monitor. That or the wiser choice of just setting it new to the monitor on your desk.

All in all I think the firewire port is over rated. Firewire is not very widely used compared to USB. Mostly it just harddrives that get plug into ports (ipods falling under harddrives here). Not much else really use them that a majorit of people would have. Yes I know there is iSight among other things but really the only thing I see heavily using firewire are hard drives.

arcsbite

Original poster
Jan 14, 2006
Koodauw said:

I would usually buy what moves me.
however, this is a monitor, I will be spending my time looking at the screen not the bezel.

true I would prefer the look of the apple, but this is a monitor, not a nose job.
I need the screen to do what I need it to do, and the Dell fits the quota better than the apple, I wish it weren't true, but unless apple want to add the extra connections...

arcsbite

Original poster
Jan 14, 2006
Timepass said:
ok lets make a pros and cons list for each

thanks for that. very helpful :)
to be honest, I have and only sometimes use firewire ports on my machine, so apart from my external back up drive and my DV camera, nothing I have is firewire (even my iPod is USB only)

the important things in my "monitor needs to have" list were

Inputs for *insert stuff here*
The bigger screen size the better
a nice look
a warranty

Apple covers 2 of those, the Dell covers the 3 (as I'm not a fan of the look)
but even though the apple looks nice, I can't hook bugger all upto it which defeats the object really.

I'd love to be a complete Apple devotee, but I think it has to be the Dell.

munckee

macrumors 65816
Oct 27, 2005
chaosbunny said:
How can you be a designer and not justify buying something that looks good?

:confused: Um, because I can't afford to spend double for the same product?? Yeah, the ACD looks gorgeous. If money were no object, I'd gladly buy one. But hey...money is definitely an object. There's something to be said for function over form as well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.