Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

giganten

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 23, 2006
Hello!

I have a question, if i want to make posters or some type off card what program should i use?
I like to play in photoshop but is it any better program for this task.

Thank you!

i.Feature

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2005
Montreal, Canada
giganten said:
Hello!

I have a question, if i want to make posters or some type off card what program should i use?
I like to play in photoshop but is it any better program for this task.

Thank you!

I'd say for any layout project you should use Quark or inDesign... They're made for those specific tasks...

Photoshops gets overused in my opinion... Photoshop is for creating and manipulating graphics/photos..not page layout...

mouchoir

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2004
London, UK
i.Feature said:
I'd say for any layout project you should use Quark or inDesign... They're made for those specific tasks...

Photoshops gets overused in my opinion... Photoshop is for creating and manipulating graphics/photos..not page layout...

If it's only a one page document, like a poster, photoshop is fine. Use seperate layers for type, and keep them on top. Illustrator is also great, especially for type on a poster, as is indesign.

GrannySmith_G5

macrumors 6502
Aug 28, 2003
oith
Quark is an ugly turd used by old school designers and still preferred by most printers. InDesign is a little nicer and more fun to use. A lot of know it all designers will say otherwise but to poop with them. Anyway, I'd just use illustrator for a single page poster. Use Photoshop for any photo work you need to do. Then throw it in illustrator and do your text, layout, graphics and printing from there. Yeahhh Boyyyyy

Sdashiki

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2005
Behind the lens
you have to think about your final output.

does the printer want Vector art or RGB composite?

Can they print photos? Or just solid colors?

Illustrator for text and solid colors and shapes (best with text and vectors)

and/or

Photoshop for photos. (PS sucks with text but is the only choice if you use photos)

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
GrannySmith_G5 said:
Quark is an ugly turd used by old school designers and still preferred by most printers. InDesign is a little nicer and more fun to use. A lot of know it all designers will say otherwise but to poop with them.

You haven't a clue what you're talking about.

RideIt

macrumors member
Feb 20, 2006
FL
GrannySmith_G5 said:
Quark is an ugly turd used by old school designers and still preferred by most printers. InDesign is a little nicer and more fun to use. A lot of know it all designers will say otherwise but to poop with them. Anyway, I'd just use illustrator for a single page poster. Use Photoshop for any photo work you need to do. Then throw it in illustrator and do your text, layout, graphics and printing from there. Yeahhh Boyyyyy

There is nothing wrong with quark. Indesign is over rated in some aspect. When i can't get an indesign file to print right i export it out and drop into quark.

You can design your poster in anything you want.... Don't forget to add your bleeds if you do it in photoshop or Illustrator.

ijimk

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2004
Here
Sdashiki said:
you have to think about your final output.

does the printer want Vector art or RGB composite?

Can they print photos? Or just solid colors?

Illustrator for text and solid colors and shapes (best with text and vectors)

and/or

Photoshop for photos. (PS sucks with text but is the only choice if you use photos)
very nicely stated. i agree it depends on your design mainly...

GrannySmith_G5

macrumors 6502
Aug 28, 2003
oith
Blue Velvet said:
You haven't a clue what you're talking about.
How so? Every old timer I know uses Quark for page layout. Have been for over a decade. A ton of printers still prefer getting quark files, this I can assure you of. As far as it being an ugly turd...it is, it's hideous. Indesign being "nicer and more fun" is simply an opinion. just kidding..
You are right I have absolutely no clue what I'm talking about. What I meant to say is that quark is the industry standard program for page layout and is clearly the best most reliable software in the field for layout and prepress.

At work I pray everyday that every file I pull off our FTP is a Quark file. If the file happens to be an InDesign file, I'll export every page as an eps and import them into quark. I like it that much. Plus, naturally the rip for our Inca Spyder handles quark files so much better that it's a no brainer.

sintaxi

macrumors member
Dec 15, 2005
Photoshop or Illustrator depending on your style.

InDesign and Quark for multi page documents.

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
GrannySmith_G5 said:
How so? Every old timer I know uses Quark for page layout. Have been for over a decade. A ton of printers still prefer getting quark files, this I can assure you of. As far as it being an ugly turd...it is, it's hideous. Indesign being "nicer and more fun" is simply an opinion. just kidding..
You are right I have absolutely no clue what I'm talking about. What I meant to say is that quark is the industry standard program for page layout and is clearly the best most reliable software in the field for layout and prepress.

At work I pray everyday that every file I pull off our FTP is a Quark file. If the file happens to be an InDesign file, I'll export every page as an eps and import them into quark. I like it that much. Plus, naturally the rip for our Inca Spyder handles quark files so much better that it's a no brainer.

Well, in that case I'll leave the decision on repro to you (somebody who by their own words and less than a year ago was: '...running samples in the blood lab at their local hospital all day long.')

...and I'll listen to other experienced print designers on the suitability for their workflow of any piece of particular software.

If you know anything of my posting history, I'm no great lover of Quark not have I been particularly impressed with certain aspects of InDesign but reasons for using a particular layout program often go far beyond features, particularly for larger studios. It's easier for a small setup to retrain and transition.

Personally speaking, we're giving Quark one last shot with Xpress 7 while simultaneously getting some external training with InDesign. Every time I consider what is involved, I pull out our production schedule -- for a dose of cold realism -- which has about 150 jobs on it and covers the next 3-4 months or so.

GrannySmith_G5

macrumors 6502
Aug 28, 2003
oith
Ha, not that it matters, but I've been involved in the printing field for over 15 years. My dad owned a shop for 30 years which sold 2 years ago (when I left). I'm back in action now though in a very successful shop. For what it's worth I still work in the blood lab per diem. Nice sleuthing though. Well, off to Quark land I go.

Sammie

macrumors newbie
Nov 4, 2004
Peawanuck, Ontario
Posters

Look down any street at downtown and I am sure that all those banners are made in Illustrator. Small posters, the ,most may be in Quark followed closely by Indesign. The rest that are in lobby's, restaurant menus etc are made in a cheap computer somewhere in the administration room.

Just be sure that the poster is in cmyk before printing and it is rastorized. Original and rastorized are two different things. So "save as" as u will need your original.

RideIt

macrumors member
Feb 20, 2006
FL
GrannySmith_G5 said:

Your wasting your time, you don't have to do that with every job from Indesign. Why not export a PDF and use that to print???

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
RideIt said:
Your wasting your time, you don't have to do that with every job from Indesign. Why not export a PDF and use that to print???

You obviously don't understand sarcasm when you see it.

kretzy

macrumors 604
Sep 11, 2004
Canberra, Australia
I personally use Illustrator. I've never been trained in it, but can find my way around well enough to produce decent looking posters/cards etc. If you're looking for a less "professional" option, then perhaps consider Pages - it has some very nice templates which are highly customizable, or you can just as easily work from scratch.

neocell

macrumors 65816
May 23, 2005
Great White North
I usually end up making a couple of posters a year (research work), and I've always used illustrator for these. I have InDesign, though I've never used it. What's the difference between the two? Every time I use an Adobe product I'm sure I start losing years of my life, (4 hours wasted just to get a colour outline for a picture, then have the file crash :mad: ). So Not User Friendly, at least for this user. Is InDesign more intuitive than Illustrator?

RideIt

macrumors member
Feb 20, 2006
FL
Indesign has tools from all 3 products, pagemaker, photoshop and Illustrator. Once you start to use it it will get better..

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
neocell said:
What's the difference between the two?

InDesign is specifically designed for page-layout and is a far more flexible and powerful tool than Illustrator for these purposes from its handling of type with style-sheets, master pages, and colour, supporting multi-page documents etc.

Images and illustrations are usually done in Photoshop and Illustrator and these components are linked to and laid-out in a page-layout app like QuarkXpress or InDesign.

Sure, you can do a poster entirely in Illustrator but most print designers would prefer to use InDesign or Xpress.

InDesign is the bowl where all the ingredients are mixed together.

RideIt

macrumors member
Feb 20, 2006
FL
Most of the tools in indesign work great, the drop shadow tool does not always work, its best to do that in a native file like Illustrator.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.