Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kammron

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 2, 2005
Calgary Alberta
bought this today instead of a G3 iBook
good deal or not?
i think its pretty good.:)

Description
buying a new iBook so need sell
only 18 months old
like new and in perfect working condition
tilt and swivel stand<---- $60 new:eek:
OS 10.3.9
1.25MHz PowerPC G4,
512MB RAM,
80GB Hard drive,
Combo Drive CD-RW/DVD-ROM,
Internal Modem,
AppleCare Protection included

$470 Canadian + shipping($50)
$410 US + shipping($43)

Attachments

• 1419_kPGSsEWoEo.jpg
    1419_kPGSsEWoEo.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 311

kammron

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 2, 2005
Calgary Alberta
hahaha for sure:p
we had 5 days off from school and my goal was to buy a new mac.
didnt start out like that but a good hour on ebay made it that way.:eek:
eMacs seem cool.

Jschultz

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2005
Chicago, IL
I like eMacs. We have them at school, and I was still pretty productive using them. They get hot and heat a room up REALLY quickly though. They also support some pretty high screen resolutions too!!

jruc4871

macrumors regular
May 4, 2005
Washington, DC
Congratulations on your purchase? It really is a fine machine.

I have the superdrive version with 1.25 G4 and 1GB RAM (I believe that is maxed-out). I bought it new in August, 2004 - my first Mac. I don't notice any excessive fan noise or heat.

It's perfect for my purposes - iTunes, web, photos and some occassional video editing. One thing i'd suggest is getting an external FW hard drive if you'll be doing any editing. Oh, and some decent external speakers.

I must admit that i've been drooling over an Intel iMac, but i'm quite certain that my eMac will serve me well for at least another year.

Best,
J

Spanky Deluxe

macrumors demi-god
Mar 17, 2005
London, UK
I got an eMac 1Ghz Logic board last week. Its the Edu model so has the 9200 graphics card and is in fact a downclocked 1.25 model. I hooked it up to an ATX psu that I took the fans out of, a DVD drive, a 120GB HDD and threw in a gig of ram and I haven't stopped using it since I got it. Its been on 24x7 without any fans on and hasn't been getting that hot at all.
I need to put it into a case of some sort and get round to clocking it up to 1.25 or 1.5 but that would mean stopping to use it for a while!!
My AMD X2 SLI pc has barely been on since I got the eMac. Its soooo much quieter and sooo much nicer to use for internet browsing etc. I'm really loving the grapher app too.
I got the logic board for £61 shipped($106), the rest of the stuff I had lying around the house. Cheapest G4 ever??

I'm absolutely loving it and its more than powerful enough for my needs. In fact its made me realise how little I need more power and that a decently programmed OS is more important than processor speed.

turbopants

macrumors regular
Feb 11, 2006
Chicago
I think that is a nice purchase, and a good deal. I had an eMac for a year and a half and really liked it. The screen is a good size, and looks very sharp. I got one when they first came out to consumers and the only thing was the fan was a bit loud, hopefully they have toned it down a bit. Enjoy your eMac!

AP_piano295

macrumors 65816
Mar 9, 2005
kammron said:
tight!
i thought they only had one slot but i guess they o have two.

woah they do have two slots I thought they maxed out at a gig. Did the last model apple sold to the public have the same number of ram slots?

kammron

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 2, 2005
Calgary Alberta
AP_piano295 said:
woah they do have two slots I thought they maxed out at a gig. Did the last model apple sold to the public have the same number of ram slots?

ive seen pictures of them with bothe 1 solt & with 2 slots.
maybe the first eMacs (700/800 MHz) had one
then on they had 2.
external speakers arent a problem...
this things hooking up to the home theatre,
so iTunes will really be bumpin.:eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.