Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Original poster
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
My Powerbook is going to sleep on its own. I cant wake it up with the powerbutton or keypress. I have to close the lid then open it....and, if that doesnt work, I have to remove the battery and wait for the internal backup one to die out to reboot my powerbook. But the second it awakes from sleep, it goes back to sleep again. I'm running off battery power, but it is fully charged. Right now, it's fine (typing this post from it now) but it's been doing it all morning and am worried it will do it again. Thanks

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Original poster
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
I looked though my system logs and found several entries like this:

Feb 22 09:13:37 Todds-PowerBook kernel[0]: Power Management received emergency overtemp signal. Going to sleep.

The thing is, my Powerbook was in my bookbag for 10 minutes while walking to class in the 30 degree weather, so it should be cool. It's not hot in this room, there's nothing blocking the ventalation, the Powerbook doesn't feel warm, and I've been sitting in this exact same spot all semester and never had any trouble. Could it be a faulty temp sensor?

And....here are my temps. Nothing nowhere near the limit
Picture 2.png

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Original poster
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
Hmm, it seems to be doing it less often now, but its still doing it. And I know if I take it to an Apple Store, it will refuse to screw up, just like my car acts perfectly the second I drive into the dealer's lot to get something fixed. Is this a common problem that they can diagnose without it acutally doing it? I don't want them to think I'm crazy when I tell them my PowerBook has narcolepsy :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.