Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gammamonk

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 4, 2004
Madison, WI
I currently use a powerbook 15", but I want to get something smaller and better at games.

My question is, based on what we know about the upcoming intel iBook (MacBook), do you think the first release will be more powerful than my Powerbook?

I know the details aren't out there yet, I just want some opinions. I LOVE the 12" iBook design, but there just wasn't the same power as the powerbook when I bought my laptop.

Oh, and just to be really clear, "Powerful" to me means Frames per Second in games, not photoshop. 10sec vs 14sec in Photoshop doesn't mean anything to me.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
I'd wait until the games you like are out as Universal Binaries before even contemplating the switch.

gammamonk

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 4, 2004
Madison, WI
jsw said:
I'd wait until the games you like are out as Universal Binaries before even contemplating the switch.

I play WoW mostly, because it's the only game that plays reasonably on my powerbook... That's universal already-- Do you know about Quake4? I haven't even seen it played... But my PC friends rave about it.

You're right tho, when I switched to Mac, I lost almost all my games. If I switch to an intel mac, I'll loose even more.

T-Stex

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2006
Pennsylvania
Why not just keep your PowerBook for general computing stuff, and build a Windows box for gaming? It'll probably be cheaper, and you'll be able to upgrade it, instead of spending a bunch of money for a machine that really isn't made for gaming anyway. If your primary reason for buying a computer is games, you don't want to go with a Mac.

Mord

macrumors G4
Aug 24, 2003
UK
wait till next tuesday before making any decisions, + it wont be long until you'll be able to play windows games are a reasonable speed on macs either natively or with a windows/directx layer in mac os x, go with an ibook if it's a 1.67GHz core duo if it's a solo wait for a 13" macbook.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.