Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Koodauw

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 17, 2003
Madison
Bear crashes hockey game, mom saves kids
By Paul Waldie
Toronto Globe and Mail — Feb. 21, 2006
IVUJIVIK, Quebec — Lydia Angyiou's kids sure won't be giving her much trouble any more, now that they've seen her wrestle a 700-pound polar bear.

Angyiou lives in Ivujivik, a village of 300 people on the shore of Hudson Bay in northern Quebec.

One Wednesday evening earlier this month, Angyiou was walking near the village community center with her two sons when a group of children playing street hockey nearby started shouting and pointing frantically.

Angyiou, 41, turned around and saw a polar bear sizing up her 7-year-old son.

She told the children to run and raced around to get between the bear and her son. Then she started kicking and punching the animal, according to police reports.

In a flash, the bear swatted her in the face and she fell on her back. With the bear on top of her, Angyiou began kicking her legs in a bicycle-pedaling motion. She was swatted once more and rolled over, but the bear moved toward her again.

Siqualuk Ainalik heard the commotion and came rushing over. Seeing Angyiou wrestling with the bear, he ran to his brother's home, grabbed a rifle and headed back to the street. He fired a few warning shots.

The sound diverted the bear's attention from Angyiou just long enough for him to aim and fire again. According to police, Ainalik fired four shots into the bear before it finally died.

With the help of some neighbors, Angyiou made it to the home of Nelson Conn, a constable with the Kativik Regional Police Force.

"She came in in a panic," Conn recalled. "She was obviously in shock. She was saying, 'Bear, bear.' I just took her over to our nursing station and I asked where and if the bear was dead. She said, 'Yes.'"

Remarkably, Angyiou suffered only a couple of scratches and a black eye. She and the local police have been fielding calls from across Canada ever since the incident was first reported last week in the Nunatsiaq News.

Meanwhile, villagers are still marveling at her courage, and there is talk of nominating her for a bravery medal.

"I've been here 24 years and I've never seen this before," said Larry Hubert, a regional captain with the police force who arrived on the scene just after the bear was shot. "For sure, she saved the kids' lives."

Hubert has known Angyiou for 15 years and he can't believe she took on a bear. He said the bear measured eight feet in length and weighed at least 700 pounds.

Angyiou "is about 5-foot-nothing and 90 pounds on a wet day," Hubert said with a laugh. "She's pretty quiet. I'm surprised she went and did this.

"But I guess when your back is up against the wall, I guess we come up with super-human strength."

Ivujivik is Quebec's northernmost community, situated on a peninsula where the Hudson Bay meets the Hudson Strait.

While polar bears roam the giant ice packs that float just off shore, Hubert said it's rare for them to wander into the village. He said he believes the bear that tangled with Angyiou became disoriented and was not looking for food.

"She's lucky the bear wasn't hungry," he said. "If the bear was hungry, she would have been eaten pretty quickly."

Distributed by Scripps Howard News Service.

Interesting but now a big deal. I do that all the time.

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
Too bad they had to shoot it, but polar bears are some of the most dangerous animals you can come across - that one was just playing with her.

dmw007

macrumors G4
May 26, 2005
Working for MI-6
Wow, what a story!!!

Fighting polar bears (or any type of bear for that matter) is not something that I would highly recommend. :eek: :) She is lucky to be alive! :eek:

iSaint

macrumors 603
Amazing story.

Did anyone see the Animal Planet showing of Grizzly Man? It's the story of Timothy Treadwell, who along with his girlfriend was eaten by a Grizzly Bear after living with them in Alaska for 15 summers. He was little overzealous and undereducated, to say the least.

The strength of any large bear is incredible.

2nyRiggz

macrumors 603
Aug 20, 2005
Thank you Jah...I'm so Blessed
iSaint said:
Amazing story.

Did anyone see the Animal Planet showing of Grizzly Man? It's the story of Timothy Treadwell, who along with his girlfriend was eaten by a Grizzly Bear after living with them in Alaska for 15 summers. He was little overzealous and undereducated, to say the least.

The strength of any large bear is incredible.

That dude lost his mind...R.I.P but that guy had some issues.

Bless

gekko513

macrumors 603
Oct 16, 2003
Lord Blackadder said:
Too bad they had to shoot it, but polar bears are some of the most dangerous animals you can come across - that one was just playing with her.
Yep, they've evolved without humans and haven't learned to be afraid of anyone or anything we do to scare them off. They're very curious, but their idea of playing will most likely get you killed. Or so I've heard when I went to Svalbard one summer.

iBlue

macrumors Core
Mar 17, 2005
London, England
i think most mothers would do that, or try to. when it comes down to you or your kids there just isn't another option, it happens without thinking. that's an impressive story though.

iSant
, i saw the Grizzly Man - he did have some issues for sure, i can't believe he was out there messing around with those bears on purpose. :eek: his fate was not unpredictable of course.

Counterfit

macrumors G3
Aug 20, 2003
sitting on your shoulder
I have a friend who's only slightly larger than this woman, and I sure couldn't imagine her going up against a bear, much less fending it off that long.
Hell, should probably couldn't even fend me off that long (not that I'd attack her or anything).

Seasought

macrumors 65816
Nov 3, 2005
I'm a little murky on the part where the mother is prompted to start boxing the polar bear. She moved in-between the bear and her son....so, was the bear chasing/attacking the boy or moving toward him?

I can only assume so given her impulse to put the gloves on and go at it. Otherwise, running like hell and perhaps saving the bears life would have been in order.

Don't get me wrong, if animal (or human being) is violently harming someone drastic measures can be necessary.

i.Feature

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2005
Montreal, Canada
They were interviewing this woman on "the hour" on CBC...

She came across as the shyest meekest women you will ever hear... When asked if she was hurt she said she was wacked on the head a few times and has a big bruise on her bum... then she giggled...

Crazy!

dubbz

macrumors 68020
Sep 3, 2003
Alta, Norway
Seasought said:
I can only assume so given her impulse to put the gloves on and go at it. Otherwise, running like hell and perhaps saving the bears life would have been in order.

I'm not so sure that running whould've been a good idea either.. Running could actually provoke it more... and Polar bears can supposedly run at near 40km/h (25mph) on land/ice.

jared_kipe

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2003
Seattle
I've always pondered what I would do if I was faced with a bear over me. Do you suppose you can get a bear in an arm bar? They're not that smart, they probably wouldn't know what was going on untill you broke their arm. Which should give you a fighting chance.

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
There was a joke among those who I knew who lived in Alaska.

It went something like this.

Two friends were out hiking and came across a grizzly bear.

They both took off running as fast as they could. After a little bit, one fellow stopped while the other continued to run.

The fellow who kept running called back to his friend and asked what he was doing.

His friend answered, "I'm getting out my running shoes."

The one still running hollered back, "Why? You cannot possibly outrun the bear."

His friend replied, "I know...I only have to run faster than you!"

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
jared_kipe said:
I've always pondered what I would do if I was faced with a bear over me. Do you suppose you can get a bear in an arm bar? They're not that smart, they probably wouldn't know what was going on untill you broke their arm. Which should give you a fighting chance.
You're kidding right?!

A bear is a whole lot stronger than a human.

emw

macrumors G4
Aug 2, 2004
. According to police, Ainalik fired four shots into the bear before it finally died.
Interesting. It took Sawyer 6 shots last night.

This is an amazing story; what mothers - parents, really - will do to keep their children from harm continues to surprise me. At least until I think of what I would do if one of my kids was in harm's way. As iBlue says - you don't think, you react to a situation.

She was indeed very lucky the bear wasn't hungry or mad.

Josh

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2004
State College, PA
jared_kipe said:

hehe..I've thought of this same scenario as well. Or, getting a bear in a half-nelson + choke-hold, put it out, and run like crazy.

But, then I considered the shear strength of a bear, and I don't think it would be possible at all.

If the bear was around the same strength as me, there would be no problem - the size and shape of a bear would be very easy to do these. But any attempt to move its limbs in a different position, or wedge my arm up under its arm, would fail big time.

One quick swat of its arm, and I'm certain a human's would be broken.

Theoretically speaking, if a bear could bench press, I imagine it could lift 700+ pounds.

So the question is: Would you attempt to put a dude who could bench almost a thousand pounds in an armbar? LOL Probably not.

And add sharp teeth, claws, and the fact that the bear will eat you rather than just beat you up, and its something I don't want to have the oppertunity to actually find out lol.
-----------------------------------

Seperate from that, I found it very interesting that the brown bears of Alaska's ABC islands are actually more closely related to polar bears than they are to other brown bears - even those on Alaska's mainland. They look identical, but their DNA is more similar to polar bears.

Definitely pretty neat.

Taken from the Wikipedia page on bears (an excerpt that I added in last fall :)):
Researchers Gerald Shields and Sandra Talbot of the University of Alaska Fairbanks Institute of Arctic Biology studied the DNA of several samples of the species and found that their DNA is different from that of other Brown Bears. The researchers discovered that their DNA was unique compared to Brown Bears anywhere else in the world. The discovery has shown that while all other Brown Bears share a Brown Bear as their closest relative, those of Alaska's ABC Islands differ and share their closest relation with the Polar Bear.

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
Josh said:
And add sharp teeth, claws, and the fact that the bear will eat you rather than just beat you up, and its something I don't want to have the oppertunity to actually find out lol.
Some hunters I knew in Alaska mentioned that you don't shoot a grizzly bear with anything less that a 44 cal. If you do, you just piss them off more.

It takes a large round to put a grizzly bear down.

And their skull structure is very strong compared to many other animals.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.