Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

EEcuber17

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 4, 2005
Illinois, US
Ok, whenever I close my iBook and it goes to sleep and I come back to use it. Open it up, and then it just turns off.

Now the only way I can get it to turn back is, taking out the battery, then restarting it.

Whats up with this?

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
EEcuber17 said:
i bought it in July, when the new iBooks came out.

I haven't renewed the Applecare at all. Is it still in existence?
If you bought it new last July in 2005 you're good until July of 2006 on the basic warranty. Applecare extends it for two more years after the first.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
You should be fine until July of this year.

I think the key question here is...whether it is crashing, or turning off. Things you might try to fix it:

- Reset the power management unit
- Spotlight "panic.log" and see if there are entries for the time when this happened.

Sleep / wake should be ROCK solid on the iBook. Meaning you should be able to put it to sleep and wake it whenever you want without fear of crashes. You absolutely should not expect this kind of behavior from an iBook. My iBook is put to sleep many times a day, and only rebooted once a monthish.

EEcuber17

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 4, 2005
Illinois, US
I know! I've never had a problem with this little machine before.

Ok, yeah. The warranty is 'till August 2 '06.

and, I couldn't find that panic.log under spotlight. idk.

So...should I just call apple?

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
EEcuber17 said:
Ok, yeah. The warranty is 'till August 2 '06.

and, I couldn't find that panic.log under spotlight. idk.

So...should I just call apple?
Take it to an Apple Store. Unless you have AppleCare they're more than likely going to charge you for the call.

Shamus

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2006
hav u gotten the new battery from apple through their battery replacement scheme?

EEcuber17

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 4, 2005
Illinois, US
Shamus said:
hav u gotten the new battery from apple through their battery replacement scheme?

noooo.

Let me check if I need to replace it.

Would that cause problems? I haven't had any troubles with the battery.

EEcuber17

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 4, 2005
Illinois, US
I put my iBooks serial number in and it said my computer doesn't qualify for the replacement program? idk.

But I have the A1061 battery..?

Shamus

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2006
EEcuber17 said:
I put my iBooks serial number in and it said my computer doesn't qualify for the replacement program? idk.

hmmmm......i dunno wether it would hav anything to do with it...but because it is a power source, it could affect it i suppose. it IS strange that you dont qualify....:confused: considering you hav the qualifying battery...that was the battery i used to have before i got it replaced. mayb u should email apple or something

Shamus

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2006
EEcuber17 said:

AAAHHH...wait u hav the 1.33Ghz ibook 12"? The battery problem was fixed by then. It still has the same model number (A1061) but the problem was rectified with the ibook update.....sorry...idk wat the problem is....:confused:

California

macrumors 68040
Aug 21, 2004
You are opening and closing your ibook too much. There is something called the reed switch that controls the sleep function by a magnet in the lid and when the machine is closed it puts it to sleep etc.

I say you are stressing out the hinges on the iBook because that's where this switch is -- in the hinges. Listen up pb and ibook owners -- be very nice to your hinges. Don't needlessly open or shut the lids!

But the upside is that Apple will fix it for you. Just be nice to the hinges...

EEcuber17

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 4, 2005
Illinois, US
California said:
You are opening and closing your ibook too much. There is something called the reed switch that controls the sleep function by a magnet in the lid and when the machine is closed it puts it to sleep etc.

I say you are stressing out the hinges on the iBook because that's where this switch is -- in the hinges. Listen up pb and ibook owners -- be very nice to your hinges. Don't needlessly open or shut the lids!

But the upside is that Apple will fix it for you. Just be nice to the hinges...

hm, I do open and close alot. But would that make it just shut down?

It won't turn back on unless I take the battery out and unplug it from the wall.

California

macrumors 68040
Aug 21, 2004
EEcuber17 said:
hm, I do open and close alot. But would that make it just shut down?

Yes that will make it shut down because it sounds like the reed switch is damaged. It's gving a false signal that the lid is closed. Get it fixed with the warranty and take it easy on the hinges. I will sometimes not shut the powerbook at all at night, just leave it on the desk. Be sparing of how much you play with the lid on your iBook - those cables in the hinges just love to crack.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.