Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mox358

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 22, 2002
Indiana
Just a quick question for those of you with newer hardware. I'm still using an original G4 iMac (800mhz, 768 RAM, Geforce 2MX 32MB USB 1.1, etc..) Its getting a little long in the tooth, and I keep hearing all about how the Intel Mac Mini would be so slow. I'm seriously considering one to replace my iMac ( I already have the KB/mouse/display issues taken care of). I'm thinking about the Core Solo model simply because I don't have the extra cash to throw around right now.

So after all that.... my real question is... what kind of performance increase am I looking at moving from the G4 iMac to an Intel Mac Mini ? I don't notice my G4 being slow most of the time, but my superdrive is broke, my airport isn't working, i have to use a usb port for my bluetooth adapter.. etc.. It seems like the perfect Intel Transition machine for me personally, but I do wonder about the bang for my buck.

The only game I play is Warcraft 3 (which is old I know) and besides that its mostly iLife and Adobe/Macromedia stuff (which i'm not using professionally at the moment, so the speed of the adobe/mm apps isn't super important as long as it's tolerable.)

I just wondered if the new Mini is enough of a jump from my system to get me by for a couple of years until the Intel Transition is over.

yoda13

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2003
Texas
In my opinion, it is. You might want to check out what is happening over in the "I just ordered a new Intel Mac mini" thread....they threw up some benchmarks in there that Macworld has done. I think it might be right for you...

mox358

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 22, 2002
Indiana
thanks

thanks for the recommendation... i hadn't been following the other thread and there was some core solo information that i read that has helped my decision. its by no means the fastest mac, but i think it will do what i want from it. thanks again!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.