Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zarathustra

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 16, 2002
Boston
I am soo tired of reading these articles. Link

The part that particularly amuses me:

"Of course, think of the scary flip side. If Apple had changed the course of history in the 1980s and emerged as the guiding force in computing, we'd be up to our necks in graphic artists, freelance DJs and career temp employees."

Whaaa???? *makes Conan O'Brien surprised face*

Besides tha fact that I am a Designer, I don't think the majority of Mac users are. A lot of them, yes, but to say the we would be up to our necks in creatives (like that's something bad) is stupid.

Wash!!

macrumors 6502
Jan 8, 2002
here, there, who knows
i agree with you

I just read the artcle and send an email to the author and gave him my $0.02.

This guy is just another reporter just like most them on Cnet that get kick backs from M$ to write anithing bad about apple.

Is ovoius he is a sheep.

Cheers

macktheknife

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2002
More important, Apple partisans--and to some degree, the company itself--believe the public should care about things like pixel count, aspect ratio and data transfer rate. This compliments the public too much. When it comes to discerning quality, we're simpletons. Instead, corporate buyers and individuals just want to know how much their computer will cost and will they get busted if they make one or two copies of their software.

I'm not a knee-jerk Apple partisan (I think the performance of Macs trails the PC in many respects), but man, this article sucks. How many times do we hear that Apple sucks because it has a small market share? By the journalist's logic, BMW and Porche suck cause they don't have the market share like GM. Also, the public just full of "simpletons" who can't appreciate things like horsepower, power steering, leather seats, etc. and who only care about how much a car will cost. If we don't apply such thinking to cars, why do journalists always apply such logic to computers?

Microsoft and Intel understand this completely. Standards exist in the industry not because of a secret, evil conspiracy. They exist because, in many circumstances, conformity is more important than perfection. That's why the two companies, and the rest of the PC market, spend more time talking about price and availability than anything else.

Like I said, while I am not necessarily an Apple partisan, I am definitely a J2EE partisan who sees the benefits of open standards and Sun's motto of "agree on standards, compete on implementations." The article is confusing industry standards agreed upon by many with Microsoft's own proprietary standard. Microsoft does not conform to any standards--it has always taken standards agreed upon by the industry and "Microsoft-ed" them to make them run only on Windows. Think of J++, Direct X, Windows Media Player, Windows XP Media Center, and, of course, .net. The latter especially infuriates me--instead of making Windows more compatible with Java (the programming langauge of choice for web applications), Microsoft threw billions into developing .net and making it incompatible with Java. C# is essentially a Java clone that runs only on the .net platform. Microsoft has basically reinvented the wheel and is now pushing a "standard" (designed to jut Windows as the middleman in any form of computing) onto developers.

Look, Microsoft isn't some evil empire--it's just a company. And as a company with a dominant position in computing, it is throwing its resources at trying to maintain its dominance. I would do the same if I were them. However, people (especially journalists who loves to write about such things) need to recognize that Microsoft isn't producing innovative products, but producing products designed to lock users to the Windows platform. We as consumers need to use our buying power and support products and standards that won't trap us into buying from a single vendor.

Sorry for the rant, but articles like this are so damn formulaic: Apple has a miniscule market share, ergo, Apple just doesn't get it like us smart journalists. Retard.

drastik

macrumors 6502a
Apr 10, 2002
Nashvegas
mack, you should write the author, we wrote me back and they want to publish my letter in the letters section. Since you make our point much better than I did, I suggest you do the same.

lmalave

macrumors 68000
Nov 8, 2002
Chinatown NYC
This guy is so clueless. I'm a software engineer that works for a large multinational investment bank - hardly his profile of the "typical" Apple user. At home I use my iBook to do tech work all the time - just connect with the Cisco VPN client, and the iBook has all the Unix tools I need (my company is all Unix on the server side).

And his comment about sales reps and PowerPoint is so clueless. Does he really think that only salespeople use PowerPoint? I mean I don't think such a sales-specific application would ship as part of a generic office suite. That's like saying that only accountants use Excel. Clueless. I do agree with him that effects for effect's sake are more distracting than useful (think about really bad websites), but if done right they can add to the impression of professionalism.

And finally, what the heck was his comment about the laptops? Small notebooks a niche market? Then why the heck are Sony, Dell, Fujitsu, etc. making them? Last time I checked, those companies weren't in the business of making computers that didn't sell. And does he know anything about Apple. Does he know the 12.1" iBook has been one of Apple's recent success stories?

And can he really compare the Sony to the PowerBook? Sure, the sony costs a lot less, but here are the differences:

- 16.1" screen vs. 17" widescreen for PowerBook
- 8.4 lbs. vs. 6.8 lbs for PowerBook (and Sony laptop is almost twice as thick)
- Have to buy PC cards for 802.11b and Bluetooth, so you have two antennas awkwardly sticking out of your notebook (and don't even have 802.11g)
- Sony has the Radeon 7500 with 32MB VRAM, the same card that's in my iBook! And no DVI output.
- PowerBook has FireWire2 and Gigabit Ethernet (granted, these are ahead of their time)

The point is, the AluBook 17" is meant to be an "extreme" laptop for those that want the ultimate laptop when money is no object. The PowerBook is truly a high-end mobile marvel, whereas the Sony is more of an exercise in building a laptop with the features of a mid-range (not even high end) desktop machine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.