Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

ThinkSecret maintains that a true video iPod is in the works and claims to have further details on the upcoming device.

Contrary to their previous report on a Touch-screen Video iPod, ThinkSecret now reports that the upcoming Video iPod will sport a 4" screen with a 1/4" border and retain similar dimensions as previous iPods. Reportedly, the 4" design has been settled on over the previously mentioned 3.5" design.

The true Video iPod is expected to debut alongside a new movie download service from Apple. Despite recent efforts by Apple to offer feature-film downloads, ThinkSecret states that there are a number of obstacles remaining. Most notably is Steve Jobs desire to keep the pay-to-own model consistent with Movie downloads. The movie industry, however, is firmly settled on a subscription-based model.

Finally, the rumor site reveals that the Movie Download Survey speculated to come from Apple, was instead commissioned by Starz Entertainment Group and sent to current Vongo customers.

magid

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2003
Any timeframe on this new ipod?

Nevermind that, just checked the TS page. Anywho, do you guys think that an 80gb version is in the works?

mrgreen4242

macrumors 601
Feb 10, 2004
I wonder if this was supposed to be the announcement for last Tuesday, but the movie deal held them up longer than they had expected? Would explain the lameness of the event. :/

If they put a hi-res 4" touchscreen on a 5g iPod both it better have PDA feature and wireless internet options. Would be such a waste otherwise.

JDOG_

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2003
Oakland
I don't know, it seems like from these articles, Jobs wants people to buy movies, but at probably at least $4 a piece I'd much rather go for a subscription model...like netflix, there is something to be said about going through a stack of movies every month without actually buying them.

I think most consumers would prefer to watch many movies without owning them. So for something like that, a subscription model would be fantastic.

What do you guys think? 3 movies you keep for $12 or more...compared to $15 for unlimited viewing/take-it-with you/timestamped videos....I'm just guessing on the price by the way, but it seems like it would be quite a bit more than $1.99 (like music videos) and hopefully less than $10 a piece.

:confused:

Spanky Deluxe

macrumors demi-god
Mar 17, 2005
London, UK
mrgreen4242 said:
If they put a hi-res 4" touchscreen on a 5g iPod both it better have PDA feature and wireless internet options. Would be such a waste otherwise.

I dunno. That would turn it into more of a Tablet Mac which would require lots of extra software. Apple likes to keep things simple. I mean not a single iPod has radio functionality or sound recording by default. These things need after market accessories and with those, well, how long did it take for a radio add on?

If Apple release a full screen iPod video then it'll do exactly what it says on the tin. No more, no less. Full screen video.

Edit:
freeny said:
The article says Late March or early April.

{cough} 30th anniversary {cough}

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
can someone mock up a 4" screen with 1/4" border on the current 5G iPod Form factor?

arn

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Hmmm.... I wondered why that Flickr spy photo showed a 4" screen, when the previous rumors had said 3.5". Why wouldn't the "Faker" have followed the 3.5" rumors? :p

(No, I don't really think the photo was real... nor fake. I admit I don't know! We do of course know that the video "proof" that followed was a hoax itself. Someone should measure the Flickr photo's screen though :D )

Timing based on movie download agreements makes sense to me.

Could be true.

JtheLemur

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2002
Hmm - I'd prefer a subscription model for movies. I watch a lot of movies and there's no way I'd "test the water" for $10-$12 dollars per movie. With a $9.99 (or even $14.99) model, that allowed for unlimited downloads, I'd be a happy camper!

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
arn said:
can someone mock up a 4" screen with 1/4" border on the current 5G iPod Form factor?

arn
I think it was done about 10 times last week :D (But measuring exactly and comparing would be interesting.)

Bubbasteve

macrumors 65816
Dec 23, 2004
Charleston, IL
I'm really interested on the iTunes Movie Store... would this subscription based downloads be yours to own or would they remain on your computer for a certain number of days/weeks?

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
btw, I also think a subscription model is OK with movies. I think the biggest issue with subscription vs non-subscrip is that when you quit the service, you lose your library. But losing your subscription Movie library is a bit less of a big deal, since I don't mind buying DVD's (bluray, HDDVD) of stuff I really like and want to keep.

arn

Dr. Dastardly

macrumors 65816
Jun 26, 2004
I live in a giant bucket!
I think Steve might bite off more than he can chew with a pay per own service for movies. The movie industry will never allow such a thing. They would be insistant that the movies expire over a period of time.

Not that it wouldn't be hacked four hours before it was released.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Bubbasteve said:
I'm really interested on the iTunes Movie Store... would this subscription based downloads be yours to own or would they remain on your computer for a certain number of days/weeks?

Subscription based typically means that you can watch the movies while you are a subscriber. But when you let your subscription lapse, you can't watch the movies anymore.

arn

XIII

macrumors 68040
Aug 15, 2004
England
I would much prefer the once pay, always own.

However, this has me really excited. Unfortunately, haven't ThinkSecret been off recently? I want this iPod a lot. :)

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
arn said:
btw, I also think a subscription model is OK with movies.
Agreed. For movies (NOT music), I like subscription better than Steve's vision. I don't event want to have to STORE movie files long term. DVDs (or Blu-Ray!) are how I want to own movies and TV series. And I rarely want to own them anyway. Music I listen to again and again, but movies only occasionally.

If these reports are true, I hope Steve caves. Just so long as the subscription is cheap enough to be worth not owning the files. And just so long as it (eventually) can match Netflix's 55,000 titles. (Because I won't want to pay Netflix $10/month AND iTunes $10/month, so I'll stick with the selection over the convenience/speed.)

"Not being first is not their style"

Yes it is. Apple's often first, but that's not their key strength. Look at the iPod. Their strength is in being BEST and EASIEST.

crees!

macrumors 68020
Jun 14, 2003
MD/VA/DC
arn said:
btw, I also think a subscription model is OK with movies. I think the biggest issue with subscription vs non-subscrip is that when you quit the service, you lose your library. But losing your subscription Movie library is a bit less of a big deal, since I don't mind buying DVD's (bluray, HDDVD) of stuff I really like and want to keep.

arn

True.. like Blockbuster. You rent the movies and then return them. In this case deleted from your HD. I figure there would be the subscription service and then the option to buy it and be able to burn it to DVD. But you could only burn if you purchased that movie.

LostPacket

macrumors member
Jun 26, 2003
Canada, eh
I'm not convinced about the usability of a touch screen scroll wheel. I'd rather they put a physical one on the back so you can control it with your index finger. It would definitely keep you from smudging up the screen.

And I agree that a subsription based model would be better. I don't watch the same movie nearly as many times as I do a song.

ScottB

macrumors regular
Jul 13, 2005
Britain
Atlasland said:
Birthday time - 1/4/06
Cool a 4 inch screen isn't that bad but I can't say I'm interested in a movie store. But presumably this blows the exspected April 1st iBook updates out of the water?

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
A subscription based service is a total scam. What they industry is really hoping for, is that you'll use the subscription based service to watch movies you don't care much about, and then will go out and buy your favorite movies on Blu-Ray or HD-DVD in addition to paying the subscription fee. The only customers that would benefit from such a model are those who enjoy watching a plethora of lousy movies.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.