Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

peter2002

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 1, 2002
Dallas, TX
Here is something new. SUV drivers support terrorists like Hesbollah, Osama and his gang. Every time you fill-up that big tank you are buying gas from the terrorists nations in the middle east. These profits go in part to support terrorists groups like Hesbollah, PLO, Al Qaeda, etc.

A new group called the Detroit Project has been getting a lot of press on the major news networks. They have a new web site where you can go and pledge when you will give up driving your tank to Wal-Mart to pick up chips and beer. At the site, you can check out their controversial TV ads, and find out more details on how you are supporting terrorism by driving an SUV.

I never see anyone ever go off-road in these 5,000+ pound beasts? Do you?

http://www.detroitproject.com/

Pete :D

Juventuz

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2002
Binghamton
Why is it just SUV drivers and not all drivers??

I drive a sports car and it goes through gas very quickly, so I need to buy gas a lot. Am I supporting terrorists? Their argument is ridiculous.

drnkmike

macrumors newbie
Jan 9, 2003
Ca
Embargos

Don't we have embargoes and restrictions on oil we would get from countries we know are terrorist supporting countries. Buying oil is not the issue, its where the oil is bought that is the issue. Stop buying from the Terrorist countries and buy from Russian supplies or Mexico.

Taft

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2002
Chicago
The ads are really focused on the negative aspects of the SUV. However the chose a method of delivery that is a bit cutting edge.

The ads are really a parody of the anti-drug ads this administration has been pushing the public as of late. If you've seen these anti-drug ads, you'll recognize the SUV ads immediately; they are almost exactly the same.

The point is that they'll turn the government's propaganda against them and advertise against gas guzzling and SUVs at the same time.

Taft

Moxiemike

macrumors 68020
Jan 1, 2002
Pittsburgh, PA
As taft said, they're parodies of the anti drug "if you use drugs you support terrorists" bullshizzle

I think they're brilliant and pretty on the mark. The SUV is a plague. Its disgusting that they keep getting bigger and great auto companies like VW and BMW think they need an SUV to compete in america.

Saab is about the only company I'd buy a car from these days, simple because they HAVEN'T and DO NOT plan on jumping in on the SUV parade (and yes, i know they're owned by GM... but on principle...)

Plus, they;re nice cars. :)

That said, if hybrid cars get a lil' better, i'll dump the Saab and grab one of those. I know BMW is planning a hybrid car. I wanna see that. I'm sure Saab will also follow suit. :)

Kid Red

macrumors 65816
Dec 14, 2001
Drugs do support terrorism, they jsut busted some folks in asia selling drugs to help finance Osama.

As for the SUVs and gas- SUVs are targets because they are fricking tanks that guzzle gas like no tomorrow. The issue is that Exxon/Mobil, Chevron, Shell and a few otehr import 90% of their oil from Irag, Iran, Saudi Arabi and other know 'terrorist supporters. So by buying their oil, you give that county more income to help contribute to the terrorists they support. There are some gas stations that do not get any gas from the middle east Texaco and Citgo are a couple IIRC.

I got an email explaing the whole thing and which gas stations were buying gas from the middle east and who weren't. The point is, if you don't buy gas for those gas stations in protest that maybe they'd change their ways and buy oil from other countires. The SUV commercial is just a shot in the jaw without the details way of saying that.

I loved it.

3rdpath

macrumors 68000
i think the ads are a wonderful parody and a nice slap at our government's innacurate ploy to tie drugs to terrorism while ignoring the larger issue of why we are so dependent on these oil-rich countries.

its a well known fact that the terrorists of the middle east were funded by the saudis..and where do they get their money? so the underlying sentiment of the ads IS factual and accurate.

the sad fact is the majority of SUV's i see on the road have only one person in them..whats the point. lets be real, SUV's are a luxury/status item for most of the population...who REALLY needs an Escalade or a landcruiser? for some situations SUV's have their place, but there is no reason they can't be hybrid powered for better fuel economy.

who knows if we'll ever see the ads on national TV...abc/disney( the darkest/most evil entity in the entertainment business...ask anyone who works with them.) has refused to run them. i'm sure the other networks will follow suit. no need to risk advertising revenue by generating public awareness. by all means, don't piss off the soccer moms....:rolleyes:

faustfire7

macrumors newbie
Jan 9, 2003
Visalia, ca
Its about time someone brought to light how incredibly ignorant those drug ads are. Instead of just the suv ads, they should have one that lets people know that when you pay your taxes you are supporting the biggest terrorist organization, and supporter of terrorist regimes, in the world, the US government.

"Just think, when you get your paycheck at the end of the week and you look at the money you've paid in taxes, that money could have gone to buy a new rifle for an israli soldier, which he could use to kill palestinian childen who throw rocks at his tank."

or

"...that money could have got to overthrow the democraticly elected government of a small thirdworld nation, all because that government put the wellfare of its citizens above the profits of corporations."

Now that would be truth in advertising.

Moxiemike

macrumors 68020
Jan 1, 2002
Pittsburgh, PA
Originally posted by Kid Red
Drugs do support terrorism, they jsut busted some folks in asia selling drugs to help finance Osama.

As for the SUVs and gas- SUVs are targets because they are fricking tanks that guzzle gas like no tomorrow. The issue is that Exxon/Mobil, Chevron, Shell and a few otehr import 90% of their oil from Irag, Iran, Saudi Arabi and other know 'terrorist supporters. So by buying their oil, you give that county more income to help contribute to the terrorists they support. There are some gas stations that do not get any gas from the middle east Texaco and Citgo are a couple IIRC.

I got an email explaing the whole thing and which gas stations were buying gas from the middle east and who weren't. The point is, if you don't buy gas for those gas stations in protest that maybe they'd change their ways and buy oil from other countires. The SUV commercial is just a shot in the jaw without the details way of saying that.

I loved it.

Is it possible you could forward that email to me? Would LOVE to see it.

My email should be on my profile.,

m

cubist

macrumors 68020
Jul 4, 2002
Muncie, Indiana
Originally posted by faustfire7
Its about time someone brought to light how incredibly ignorant those drug ads are. Instead of just the suv ads, they should have one that lets people know that when you pay your taxes you are supporting the biggest terrorist organization, and supporter of terrorist regimes, in the world, the US government.

"Just think, when you get your paycheck at the end of the week and you look at the money you've paid in taxes, that money could have gone to buy a new rifle for an israli soldier, which he could use to kill palestinian childen who throw rocks at his tank."

or

"...that money could have got to overthrow the democraticly elected government of a small thirdworld nation, all because that government put the wellfare of its citizens above the profits of corporations."

Now that would be truth in advertising.

You like to get flamed, do you? The Palestinians are blowing up little kids with bombs full of nails. They are blowing up buses full of commuters. If/when one blows up some of your friends at your local shopping mall, will you still have sympathy for their cause? And the second quote is even more laughable. None of the third-world countries (especially the islamic ones) care one hoot about the welfare of their citizens. All they care about is lining their own pockets. Hence the term "kleptocracy". Your world view is seriously illusionary.

Moxiemike

macrumors 68020
Jan 1, 2002
Pittsburgh, PA
Originally posted by cubist

You like to get flamed, do you? The Palestinians are blowing up little kids with bombs full of nails. They are blowing up buses full of commuters. If/when one blows up some of your friends at your local shopping mall, will you still have sympathy for their cause? And the second quote is even more laughable. None of the third-world countries (especially the islamic ones) care one hoot about the welfare of their citizens. All they care about is lining their own pockets. Hence the term "kleptocracy". Your world view is seriously illusionary.

And what about the carpet bombings in afghanistan? What about the civilian death toll there, due to american bombs, that didn't get reported on FOX News. What about our "crushing" on the Cuban economy? What about America's continued reckless pollution and destruction of the rainforests to support MkkkDonalds... What about our rampant consumerism in buying clothes at the GAP and NIKE, made by sweatshops?

We're just as bad, and maybe not so dramatic with our killings.... but at least people that get blown up don't have to deal with daily pain of living under the oppression of the USA. And they won;t have to deal with a dead earth when we pollute the planet to the point where we won't be able to fix it.

faustfire7

macrumors newbie
Jan 9, 2003
Visalia, ca

I do not support the methods of the PLO, but they do have a very real cause. They are being illegaly occupied by a country whose only claim to the land is an ancient book of myths, which they use as a legitamate deed. Its a strange thing though, when a palestinian blows up a bus full of israli citizens, it is an act of terrorism. When an israli tank destroys and entire palestinian neighborhood, it is an act of war. Why, because the isralis have money for tanks, and the palestinians have none? As to your second comment, the reason third world countrys don't "give a hoot" about their citizens is because any time a viable democratic government comes to power the US government, directly or indirectly, helps overthrow it. Lets not forget who put the taliban in power in the first place.

cubist

macrumors 68020
Jul 4, 2002
Muncie, Indiana
Originally posted by Moxiemike

And what about the carpet bombings in afghanistan? What about the civilian death toll there, due to american bombs, that didn't get reported on FOX News. What about our "crushing" on the Cuban economy? What about America's continued reckless pollution and destruction of the rainforests to support MkkkDonalds... What about our rampant consumerism in buying clothes at the GAP and NIKE, made by sweatshops?

We're just as bad, and maybe not so dramatic with our killings.... but at least people that get blown up don't have to deal with daily pain of living under the oppression of the USA. And they won;t have to deal with a dead earth when we pollute the planet to the point where we won't be able to fix it.

If those countries are so wonderful, how come the people there want to come here, and nobody here wants to go there?

There were no carpet bombings in Afghanistan. We do not "crush" the Cuban economy. Capitalism is abusive to a certain extent... but you cannot compare anything the US has ever done in its entire history to the deliberate murder of athletes at the 1972 Olympics, the destruction of the WTC, the suicide bombers deliberately targeting children, the Soviet Union starving millions of its citizens in the 1930's. (OK maybe Waco and Ruby Ridge.)

"We're just as bad"? You're absolutely wrong. Someone has been lying to you. Think about it.

Moxiemike

macrumors 68020
Jan 1, 2002
Pittsburgh, PA

If those countries are so wonderful, how come the people there want to come here, and nobody here wants to go there?

There were no carpet bombings in Afghanistan. We do not "crush" the Cuban economy. Capitalism is abusive to a certain extent... but you cannot compare anything the US has ever done in its entire history to the deliberate murder of athletes at the 1972 Olympics, the destruction of the WTC, the suicide bombers deliberately targeting children, the Soviet Union starving millions of its citizens in the 1930's. (OK maybe Waco and Ruby Ridge.)

"We're just as bad"? You're absolutely wrong. Someone has been lying to you. Think about it.

Ah. You're such a good american... convieniently forgetting who propelled the Weapon of Mass Destruction into popularity.

Can you say Hirsohima??

Okinawa??

How about the japanese being put in concentration camps during WWII here??

Hm?

Oh. Convieniently you forget. ;)

drnkmike

macrumors newbie
Jan 9, 2003
Ca
Re: SUV drivers support terrorists!

Originally posted by peter2002

I never see anyone ever go off-road in these 5,000+ pound beasts? Do you?
Pete :D

Yes, Yes I do. I personally use my Tahoe to tow a 6000LB trailer, other than that is spends most of the week in the garage since my wifes communte consists of about 20 yards of walking. My commute is in a Corrolla.

As for the the hybrid comment.

SUV's have their place, but there is no reason they can't be hybrid powered for better fuel economy.

That would be nice but the size of the electric motors required to move an SUV during its intended purpose, i.e towing would be HUGE. A better solution would be to get the public past their irrational bias and fear of diesel and push the government to pass the required legislation to approve the new "designer" low sulfur diesel fuels. Diesel is far more efficient than gasoline, providing low emissions, good fuel economy and huge power output. Of course so many keep going back to the poorly design diesels in GM cars of the past without even knowing anything about diesel.

ddtlm

macrumors 65816
Aug 20, 2001
Moxiemike:

Ah. You're such a good american... convieniently forgetting who propelled the Weapon of Mass Destruction into popularity.

Can you say Hirsohima??

Okinawa??
I realize that you didn't talk about death, but really the use of nukes was completely insignificant in the face of the other death in WW2. I don't intend to look up the numbers, but it may be that even the firebombing of Dresden killed more people, and obviously that is nothing compared to the millions upon millions who died in Russia, or in Germany's death camps.

Nukes where a good way to end a terrible war. You need to stop America-bashing and try to look at things objectively.

D0ct0rteeth

macrumors 65816
Mar 11, 2002
Franklin, TN
This post is not meant to offend anyone and I have nothing against your choices in how you spend your money but personally I have always bought american.. and I can't stand SUV's. My first car was Dodge, then a Chevrolet.. now the only american car I would buy is the Cadillac CTS. I love Audi's but I have a hard time buying a car from a company that was literally established by Hitler.

It is true that the German and to a lesser extent the japanese cars are superior in details and design to american cars... I was drooling over the A6 for months until I finally broke down and bought the CTS... but I would rather support american business and interests. Mercedes built the the Panzer Corps.. I would rather my money supports Americans.

As I said to my brother "In fifty years if Iraq was building cars would you buy one?" Its my philosophy. I would be interrested to know how many Jews own VW/Audis...

It is also a similar choice that I support small family owned business' and tend to avoid chain restaraunts.... I will eat and Fire&Ice in cambridge before i eat at Chilis or TGI Fridays... personal choice.

Good times.

-Doc

ddtlm

macrumors 65816
Aug 20, 2001
cubist:

anything the US has ever done in its entire history
Actually I was think about that, and recalled that the Native Americians did get the shaft. Not that I feel bad about the taking of their land (a form of progress), but it's quite unfortunate that there had to be so much death.

faustfire7

macrumors newbie
Jan 9, 2003
Visalia, ca
Originally posted by ddtlm
Moxiemike:

I realize that you didn't talk about death, but really the use of nukes was completely insignificant in the face of the other death in WW2. I don't intend to look up the numbers, but it may be that even the firebombing of Dresden killed more people, and obviously that is nothing compared to the millions upon millions who died in Russia, or in Germany's death camps.

Nukes where a good way to end a terrible war. You need to stop America-bashing and try to look at things objectively.

the use of the atom bomb was very significant. The fact is that the bomb was not even needed, the war was already over. The Japanese had already offered to surrender, with a few minor conditions. The US rejected their surrender so it could show off its new "toy" to russia. A little reading of history beyond what you learned in high school would help.

ddtlm

macrumors 65816
Aug 20, 2001
D0ct0rteeth:

I love Audi's but I have a hard time buying a car from a company that was literally established by Hitler.
Mercedes built the the Panzer Corps..
Sheesh, try forgiving them! It's not like anyone currently working at either of those companies had anything to do with Hitler or any of that.

Moxiemike

macrumors 68020
Jan 1, 2002
Pittsburgh, PA
Moxiemike:

I'll stop America-bashing when you stop the blind and pathetic "patriotism" to a country that probably would send you off to die in a money war in Iraw quicker than you could say U S of A!

Sure, there were millions of casulties in WWII. But I'm not talking about the 70,000 lives lost when we decided it would be best to use brute force to end the war quickly.

We're talking about the slow effects of the nukes we dropped. And the innocent lives. We attempted to commit a genocide to win a war. We're not better than the Nazis. The effects of the radiation poisoning continued to
show up until about a month after the bombing. The bomb also killed or permanently damaged fetuses in the womb.

And of course, there's the famous quote that I tend to think of when arguing with people who cannot seem to think globally, aside from thinking that America is the only country around: "One man's freedom fighter is another man's terrorist"

We're terrorists. Or more appropriately, our government are the terrorists. However, much like the Taliban, Saddam, et. al, they hide behind a level of security that leaves the only option to attack are innocent people.

America, for our complete lack of general dignity in foreign relations, our belief that we're the world's police force, from 1945 up to 2003, we pretty much deserve what we get.

Unfortunately, just like in japan, a lot of smart thinking people will suffer. But if it makes the world a better place, and alleviates the corporate/politcal greed that powers America....i'm ok with it. But it won't. We'll keep flaunting our money instead of being humble. We'll build bigger buildings. Larger SUVs, we'll keep polluting the environment to keep McD's happy so they can put ugly McDs in vatican city and we'll continually force our politcal beliefs on other countries. We'll overthrow governments that we don't agree with and continue creating talibans to fight them. We'll do the initial research and funding for the next bin laden. And We'll act surprised and shocked when it all comes back to bite us in the arse.

We're just as bad as any other country....

faustfire7

macrumors newbie
Jan 9, 2003
Visalia, ca
cubist:

Actually I was think about that, and recalled that the Native Americians did get the shaft. Not that I feel bad about the taking of their land (a form of progress), but it's quite unfortunate that there had to be so much death.

Yea, your right. Maybe we should just go over to afganistan and iraq and take it away from those savages. As long as its in the name of progress.

ddtlm

macrumors 65816
Aug 20, 2001
Moxiemike:

We attempted to commit a genocide to win a war. We're not better than the Nazis.
I am totally dismayed by this world view.

We're terrorists. Or more appropriately, our government are the terrorists.
So when have we deliberatly killed the innocent in order to spread fear? Certainly not recently.

Unfortunately, just like in japan, a lot of smart thinking people will suffer.
Japan should thank us for those nukes. They woke up and became a very productive member of the world society, and have not been in a war since.

We're just as bad as any other country....
I've never claimed we are devine, or anything. I think we do pretty well, though.

faustfire7:

Yea, your right. Maybe we should just go over to afganistan and iraq and take it away from those savages. As long as its in the name of progress.
A nation of millions is far different than tribes. Had tribes been allowed to maintain the whole of America (north+south), then obviously a lot of progress would have been stopped. Note also that I'm not calling them savages or anything else, just saying that it is OK for the land to be put to more productive use. Edit: I overlooked the South American nations actually, but since the USoA had nothing to do with their fall, I guess it's not part of the topic.

Moxiemike

macrumors 68020
Jan 1, 2002
Pittsburgh, PA
Originally posted by D0ct0rteeth
This post is not meant to offend anyone and I have nothing against your choices in how you spend your money but personally I have always bought american.. and I can't stand SUV's. My first car was Dodge, then a Chevrolet.. now the only american car I would buy is the Cadillac CTS. I love Audi's but I have a hard time buying a car from a company that was literally established by Hitler.

It is true that the German and to a lesser extent the japanese cars are superior in details and design to american cars... I was drooling over the A6 for months until I finally broke down and bought the CTS... but I would rather support american business and interests. Mercedes built the the Panzer Corps.. I would rather my money supports Americans.

As I said to my brother "In fifty years if Iraq was building cars would you buy one?" Its my philosophy. I would be interrested to know how many Jews own VW/Audis...

It is also a similar choice that I support small family owned business' and tend to avoid chain restaraunts.... I will eat and Fire&Ice in cambridge before i eat at Chilis or TGI Fridays... personal choice.

Good times.

-Doc

The main difference being that a european or to a lesser extent japanese car is going to be more reliable, have better resale value and going to last longer than an American car.

That said, a Saab, VW, Honda or Toyota is akin to eating at the local restaurant. You're supporting the better product, the business owner who takes more pride in their product.

And, I know a BUNCH of "jews" (jewish people, please dude:rolleyes: ) who LOVE VWs, porsches and Audis.

Oh. and btw, the transmission for that CTS was manufactured and engineered in Germany. :)

Moxiemike

macrumors 68020
Jan 1, 2002
Pittsburgh, PA
Moxiemike:

I am totally dismayed by this world view.

So when have we deliberatly killed the innocent in order to spread fear? Certainly not recently.

Japan should thank us for those nukes. They woke up and became a very productive member of the world society, and have not been in a war since.

I've never claimed we are devine, or anything. I think we do pretty well, though.

faustfire7:

A nation of millions is far different than tribes. Had tribes been allowed to maintain the whole of America (north+south), then obviously a lot of progress would have been stopped. Note also that I'm not calling them savages or anything else, just saying that it is OK for the land to be put to more productive use. Edit: I overlooked the South American nations actually, but since the USoA had nothing to do with their fall, I guess it's not part of the topic.

Japan should thank us for the nukes????? WTF are you? You should be shot. You wanna talk about sad world views. Goddamn. Maybe someone should nuke us so we can become more productive. Maybe we'd start restructuring our schools and be able to spend money on that instead of military (after all, we'd just be bombing everyone else.... no need for soliders!)

Then people like you wouldn't CONVIENIENTLY forget about our terrorizing japan with nuke. ;)

You're a pathetic fool if you think ANYONE should thank us for the nukes we terrorized Japan with.

God. America REALLY does deserve everything we get with viewpoints like that

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.