Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 24, 2006
Is this a stupid question? I know nothing about programming, but was hoping the PC program Weight Commander could be converted to a Mac app without much trouble.

You can download the program here:

http://www.weightcommander.com/

I've lost over 100 pounds using this program, and bought Virtual PC just so I could run it. I was wondering if it would be possible to recode it for the Mac?

GFLPraxis

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
I doubt it. You need the original source code. This doesn't look like an Open Source app. If they're not distributing the source code, you can't recompile it.

It would be a matter of getting the source code and going through it LINE BY LINE rewriting the program completely. No easy or quick task. Big pain.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
loft3 said:
I've lost over 100 pounds using this program...
I'm glad Nermal found the link for you. I just wanted to congratulate you on your success so far! I'm sorry the online version is so bad - what in particular would you need on the Mac to make it better?

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 24, 2006
jsw said:
I'm glad Nermal found the link for you. I just wanted to congratulate you on your success so far! I'm sorry the online version is so bad - what in particular would you need on the Mac to make it better?

Thanks!

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 24, 2006
jsw said:

What would it need on the Mac to be better? Well, its a program I use a lot to check recipes and view my progress and future "results." Not to mention about two dozen other things the application has that the online version doesn't.

What it comes down to it in order to check your weight and record new entries, you have to be able to get online to see everything. With the PC application version, everything is at your finger tips and then-some whether or not you have internet (and for a laptop road warrior, this can be very important!).

calebjohnston

macrumors 68000
Jan 24, 2006
:\ Sorry to hear about the inconvienence. The best advice I suppose would be just to apply the same principles you were following before as well as possible; similar meals, etc. Definitely continue to use the online version of the program, however.

munkees

macrumors 65816
Sep 3, 2005
Pacific Northwest
loft3 said:
Is this a stupid question? I know nothing about programming, but was hoping the PC program Weight Commander could be converted to a Mac app without much trouble.

You can download the program here:

http://www.weightcommander.com/

I've lost over 100 pounds using this program, and bought Virtual PC just so I could run it. I was wondering if it would be possible to recode it for the Mac?

I emailed the guy and asked if he was interested in me porting the code for him

bigandy

macrumors G3
Apr 30, 2004
Murka
maybe if the owner was up for the porting, a sourceforge project could be started, or something, if several people were willing to help it could go quite quickly...

therevolution

macrumors 6502
May 12, 2003
bigandy said:
maybe if the owner was up for the porting, a sourceforge project could be started, or something, if several people were willing to help it could go quite quickly...
I think it's been established that this isn't an open source program.

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 24, 2006
Heard back from him?

munkees said:
I emailed the guy and asked if he was interested in me porting the code for him

Wow! Thanks! Have you heard back from him?

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 24, 2006
dylan said:
I've seen a few of these programs... I took a quick look at Apple's downloads page over here and found a few:

PDAbs
FitnessBrain
Weightmania Pro

I hope you find something you like.

Thanks for showing these to me. None do the thing I want! All I want is an app that lets you chart your weight loss as a line-graph. Just a simple app. Not a spreadsheet either. If I knew how to program at all, i imagine I could make a simple app like that in about a day or so.

caveman_uk

Feb 17, 2003
Hitchin, Herts, UK
I can program and I have bits in my programs that draw line graphs but when I lost a load of weight recently I used excel to plot it. Sticking it in excel was a hell of a lot faster than writing an app to do it.;)

bigandy

macrumors G3
Apr 30, 2004
Murka
therevolution said:
I think it's been established that this isn't an open source program.

really? you're kidding, right? :p

what i was suggesting, is that if the developer could be persuaded.

i did read the thread, and i was making a constructive comment. were you?

therevolution

macrumors 6502
May 12, 2003
bigandy said:
really? you're kidding, right? :p

what i was suggesting, is that if the developer could be persuaded.

i did read the thread, and i was making a constructive comment. were you?
Well, sorry. You didn't "suggest" it very well, because I sure didn't pick up on it.

Thanks for this constructive comment, by the way. :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.