Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jadekitty24

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 19, 2005
The poor section of Connecticut
Ok, here's the scenario. I have an iBook G3 that I just installed Panther on. No problems. Then I was trying to re-install Tiger on my Powerbook. I erased the hard drive and THEN I remembered that the Tiger install DVD I have is horribly scratched. I attempted to buff it out, it's too far gone. I get errors when trying to install. So then I figured I have the Panther cd's, I could always install that on the Powerbook and just go back to using Jaguar on my iBook. I just added ram to it so I would be content. But I get the "circle with a slash" thing when trying to install Panther on my Powerbook. From what I've read, you can't go from Tiger to Panther. Well here's the problem I have with that. When I first received the Powerbook it had Panther running on it. That is what I was told I would receive. It came with Tiger DVD's, which I assumed was an un-intended bonus, so I then installed Tiger. If I had this OS on the Powerbook before, why can't I install it? Also, could anyone give me any suggestions other than replace my scratched cd's? If I don't find a fix I will call Apple tonight, but I would like to see if there is anything else I didn't try.

thequicksilver

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2004
Birmingham
It isn't possible due to hardware locks put into new models by Apple. The OS it shipped with is the lowest you can install.

You'll need to call Apple to request a new DVD.

yippy

macrumors 68020
Mar 14, 2004
Chicago, IL
You should be able to install Panther on it. Try formating the drive and then installing (backup of course).

If that doesn't work I can think of a few other problems that might cause this.

1. Are you using disks intended for the iBook? This won't always work.

2. If they are strictly Panther CDs, as in, not restore CDs that came with a machine, then your disks might be upgrade disks and not fresh install disks. The only difference being that upgrades disks require an Apple OS to be present on the drive before it will let you install (but still lets you do an erase and install so it has the full installer, just crippled a little). If this is the case you need to install something first, you might try just copying and existing system over using target disk or try to put Jaguar on it (this might not work).

Don't you have the restore disks that came with your powerbook? They should work for installing Panther (I am assuming that you got a Panther system with an extra set of Tiger disks to upgrade to because you bought the computer around the time that Tiger was released).

jadekitty24

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 19, 2005
thequicksilver said:
It isn't possible due to hardware locks put into new models by Apple. The OS it shipped with is the lowest you can install.
It shipped with Tiger cds but had Panther installed when I received it. So how could be that there are hardware locks if Panther has been previously run on this computer?

eva01

macrumors 601
Feb 22, 2005
Gah! Plymouth
your trying to install a lower OS than what is allowed

use the CDs that came with the powerbook (system disks) then it would work

you can't install 10.3.0 on a machine that came shipped with say 10.3.3

thequicksilver

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2004
Birmingham
jadekitty24 said:
It shipped with Tiger cds but had Panther installed when I received it. So how could be that there are hardware locks if Panther has been previously run on this computer?

Apologies, my mistake, didn't read properly.

jadekitty24

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 19, 2005
eva01 said:
your trying to install a lower OS than what is allowed

use the CDs that came with the powerbook (system disks) then it would work

you can't install 10.3.0 on a machine that came shipped with say 10.3.3
I see, it had 10.3.9, I'm trying to install 10.3.
Also, the restore cd's (Tiger) are scratched and the install fails every time. I know I can call Apple and maybe get a replacement set but I was hoping there was something else I can try.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
jadekitty24 said:
I see, it had 10.3.9, I'm trying to install 10.3.
Also, the restore cd's (Tiger) are scratched and the install fails every time. I know I can call Apple and maybe get a replacement set but I was hoping there was something else I can try.
Just call Apple and get it over with.

jadekitty24

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 19, 2005
Eidorian said:
Just call Apple and get it over with.
Mmm, yeah...I called and requested another set of install DVD's and the lady put me on hold...2 seconds later dial tone...oh crap :eek:

UPDATE:Called Apple a 2nd time, discs are on their way. They're backordered to the 23rd, so I'll be waiting a while.

If people are supposed to learn from their mistakes, why haven't I learned a thing?!?

funkychunkz

macrumors 6502a
Jun 1, 2005
Ottawa, Canada
jadekitty24 said:
If people are supposed to learn from their mistakes, why haven't I learned a thing?!?

Your supposed to make an effort to learn from your mistakes. The learning does not come automatically. It could be the case that you don't understand what your mistake was (though you think you've made one), and so you haver not yet learned anything about the problem.

jadekitty24

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 19, 2005
Sorry to bring up an old topic but this is really bugging me. I get that there are "hardware locks"or whatever keeping my Powerbook from installing Panther. Read the first post in this thread to understand my situation. I received the Powerbook with Panther running on it, no DVDs-the DVDs that came with my system were Tiger. Now keep in mind, I ordered a Powerbook with Panther. I was told I was going to receive a Powerbook with Panther. Yet I got one running Panther but with Tiger DVDs. My fault that I didn't "archive and install" when I installed Tiger for the first time. My fault that my Tiger DVDs are scratched (though I don't know how). But explain to me why I can't put the OS of my choice on the computer I spent a nice chunk on? Also explain how my computer HAD Panther on it at one point. When I received it it was running 10.3.9. Now I understand I am trying to install 10.3, not 10.3.9. But how did Panther get installed in the first place if it is supposedly impossible? Did the previous owner install 10.3.9? Is THAT even possible? I'm just assuming you can only install 10.3 then update your software.
I apologize for the long-winded questions, but this is really bugging me. I'm not trying to be a whiny b*tch but I just don't understand this. ANY enlightenment would be greatly appreciated.

eva01

macrumors 601
Feb 22, 2005
Gah! Plymouth
Your System restore disks should have Panther, and you should have gotten separate disks for Tiger

Assuming you bought it from apple

Applespider

macrumors G4
Your PB probably shipped with 10.3.x on it - choose your number. The restore disk would have had the same 10.3.x on it. Software updates would take it to 10.3.9

You are trying to install 10.3.0 on it - it's a lower version that what it shipped with therefore it won't install.

TLRedhawke

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2004
If you happen to have an Apple Authorized Service Provider (that is, not an Apple Store) nearby, you could ask them to download you a copy of the restore discs via GSX. They'd probably charge you a nominal fee, plus the cost of the CDs, but it would sure beat waiting until the 23rd.

All Apple service providers have access to Apple GSX, which allows them to obtain Restore Discs, Hardware Test Discs, Service Diagnostic Discs, and Service Manuals, as well as allowing them to look up warranty status and other such fun things for ANY Apple machine (iPods included).

jadekitty24

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 19, 2005
eva01 said:
Your System restore disks should have Panther, and you should have gotten separate disks for Tiger

Assuming you bought it from apple
The only discs that came with the system were Tiger discs. The copy of Panther that I have I bought for a different computer but later decided I wanted Panther on my main system. And after discovering that my Tiger discs were too scratched I thought this would work. And yes, this was purchased from Apple.
TLRedhawke said:
If you happen to have an Apple Authorized Service Provider (that is, not an Apple Store) nearby, you could ask them to download you a copy of the restore discs via GSX. They'd probably charge you a nominal fee, plus the cost of the CDs, but it would sure beat waiting until the 23rd.

All Apple service providers have access to Apple GSX, which allows them to obtain Restore Discs, Hardware Test Discs, Service Diagnostic Discs, and Service Manuals, as well as allowing them to look up warranty status and other such fun things for ANY Apple machine (iPods included).
Wow, I did not know that. I will have to check that out. Thank you.

I just basically want to know the reasoning behind forcing one OS upon someone. Why it's necessary. It just doesn't make any sense that I can't put an OS on my computer when it is perfectly capable of handling it. Just wondering why is all...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.