Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MUrhino

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 6, 2003
I was thrilled when Steve announced the new Powerbooks but I felt let down as the 15" wasn't changed at all. This is probably to get rid of the rest of the Titaniums lying around in warehouses. If the 17" ships around early February, any predictions as to when the 15" be upgraded? It seemed like an odd move, but that 17" screen is nice...a bit big and pricey for me though :rolleyes: . Thanks!

Go Macrumors! Arn you were right on!

kmac

macrumors newbie
Jan 8, 2003
Thailand
Yeah, quite sad actually. After the initial excitement, I finally realized that the 12" is not of high spec, the 17" is great but it's a little too big for my need.

So I guess I'll have to wait for the 15" to be updated, which I'm guessing April or May at the earliest.

Sad. I'm all ready to give Apple a big pile of my hard earned cash.

Wyrm

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2003
Toekeeyoe, Japan
Powerbook 15"

Question is when they do decide to upgrade the 15" if they go with a nVidia like the other 2 powerbooks or stick with the ATI?
I wonder if ATI is going to mobilize the 9700... or even make the 9700 for the Mac (someone else noticed this not coming out?) - that said I hope they use more advanced nVidia chips, like the geForce Go 4200.

Having 3 in the lineup might solve the availability problems Apple always seems to have when they ramp out a new model. At least something sort of current should still be available, right?

Also, is it just me, or does the 15" still have the most watthours battery (61 or something like that?)... still it is not enough - needs at least 120 watt hours (10 hours) to remove the worry about being to far from a power main (or be useful on an international flight to Asia). For that I'd deal with another 2 pounds. Or why not be able to remove the SuperDrive and stick in a battery when power is more important than watching DVDs.

Finally - the new cool backlit keyboard and light sensors - absolute nerdy must for the new 15".

When? 6 months from November would make it around April - but since they added Powerbooks with new technology (Firewire, Bluetooth) either a quick revamp of the remaining line, or a total cancellation of the 15" would not be out of the question (that would suck). Are they still manufacturing the 15"?

---------------------
Wyrm

jaguarx

macrumors regular
Jan 5, 2003
London
Dude just buy a second battery.
Sorry but the batt life is better than most and it really can't get that much better, i'm going to buy a 17" in a couple of weeks, i'm getting a second batt at the same time, problem solved.

davidc2182

macrumors regular
Nov 8, 2001
Sin City
yep

they are probably getting ready to introduce new 15 inch powerbooks as we speak considering the ship time is 7-10 days and all other products are 1-2 days, they should release safari for pee cee, microsoft would **** itself

Wyrm

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2003
Toekeeyoe, Japan
Originally posted by jaguarx
Dude just buy a second battery.
Sorry but the batt life is better than most and it really can't get that much better, i'm going to buy a 17" in a couple of weeks, i'm getting a second batt at the same time, problem solved.

Can you swap batteries on the TiBook by just putting it to sleep ie closing the cover? Or do you have to shutdown? If you can't do this, then what about a small battery just for swapping (like a reserve tank) - close cover - swap battery - all done... or can you already do this?

-------------------
Wyrm

jaguarx

macrumors regular
Jan 5, 2003
London
i don't know, the last mac i owned was an LCII with OS7 ;)

Even if you have to power down, it's once a day, it doesn't worry me that much.

NicoMan

macrumors 6502a
Oct 20, 2002
Malmö, Sweden
Re: yep

Originally posted by davidc2182
they are probably getting ready to introduce new 15 inch powerbooks as we speak considering the ship time is 7-10 days and all other products are 1-2 days, they should release safari for pee cee, microsoft would **** itself
I would tend to agree. I looked at the inventory too and noticed the same. The thing is (I think) Apple need to get the 2 AlBook rolling. Once those are delivered with low shipping times then they will update the 15", I feel. Therefore I'd say we will see an update before mid/end of february (when the 17" start shipping in volumes...).

Now, like a few other people I am puzzled by Apple's choice of graphics cards for the 2 new Powerbooks. For the life of me I can't figure that one out...

NicoMan

agreenster

macrumors 68000
Dec 6, 2001
Originally posted by Wyrm

Can you swap batteries on the TiBook by just putting it to sleep ie closing the cover? Or do you have to shutdown? If you can't do this, then what about a small battery just for swapping (like a reserve tank) - close cover - swap battery - all done... or can you already do this?

-------------------
Wyrm

Yes, this can be done on current Powerbooks. You have like, 30 seconds or something between batteries when swapping. I do this occasionally on long flights when watching movies or whatever.

However, I dont recommend closing the lid when the Ti is hot--the power button tends to singe the screen.......:(

MR Lurker

macrumors newbie
May 8, 2002
Adelaide, Australia
Nvidia in new PBs

This story was in today's Register. It may explain why Apple has chosen Nvidia for the graphics cards in the new PowerBooks.

Nvidia targets Mac games users
By gamesindustry.biz
Posted: 09/01/2003 at 10:43 GMT

Nvidia is muscling its way onto the packaging of a significant number of games for the Mac platform. Unlike the array of PC publishers and developers - who must be wooed individually – the Mac gaming software community is close-knit and means that Nvidia's “The Way It's Meant to Be Played” logo will get a lot of exposure.

Nvidia has managed this feat by teaming up with Mac publisher Aspyr. You may not recognise the name, but a quick trip to Aspyr.com will give you an idea of the size and girth of their product catalogue. Everything from Deus Ex, Medal Of Honor and every Star Wars game you can think of to The Sims, Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater and even Tomb Raider are available on the Mac thanks to Aspyr – and although the Nvidia logo will appear only on "selected" packaging, those titles handpicked will surely be the cream of the crop.

pgulliver

macrumors newbie
Jan 9, 2003
15"

I was ready to buy a 15" PB last week, thank god I waited. It will be my first Mac.

Historically, how much time has gone from revamping part of a product line (12/17") and revamping the remaining products? I'd love to wait and an "updated" 15" model, but I can't continually put off my purchase hoping something better comes over the horizon.

Anyway...I know we are just speculating, but I don't really know the history of Apple product releases and the type of schedules they adhear to, so I thought I'd run it by you all.

Peter

zoetropeuk

macrumors regular
Dec 19, 2002
Oxford UK
15.4" AiBook

I think Apple already has the 15.4" AiBook ready to roll. I can't find the link but the company making the 17" LCD is already producing a 15.4".
I also don't believe Apple intended to release a 15.2" Superdrive and only did so to try and clear out the inventory to be able to announce the 15.4" at MWSF. There is no way Apple could position the current 15.2 TiPB's if a 15.4" AiPB was released at MWSF. How could they price it ? To make it cheap enough so that the 15.4 was not an option would take away the majority of sales from the 12" AiPB.
I think that as soon as the 15.2" TiPB's are gone than we will see the 15.4" AiPB

I have no proof of this but it stands to reason from Apple's past performances !!!!!!

Sakino

macrumors member
Jan 7, 2003
I am in a tough situation, because I leave for school next week and expected to buy a laptop. I already have a damn nice desktop, but I wanted to buy my first apple. My choice was going to be the 15inch pb until they released the 12 and 17. Both of those do not fit my needs for around campus. My choice is either to wait for the new 15 inch pb to hit the shelves and order it that night, or buy the current ones. I would hate to go off wasting my money on a pb that is going to be updated a couple of weeks later.

My input, although I dont know much about apple. Apple was running their promotion on ram for quite some time, and that is finally over. I'm sure that cleared up a lot of the ram used for the 15 inch pb, and now they are waiting a little while longer until part of the invantory goes out the door. Although I feel it wont, because a lot of people like me are probably going to end up sitting this one out and pray for it to come in FEB sometime.

JSRockit

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2002
NYC
Originally posted by Sakino
I am in a tough situation, because I leave for school next week and expected to buy a laptop. I already have a damn nice desktop, but I wanted to buy my first apple. My choice was going to be the 15inch pb until they released the 12 and 17. Both of those do not fit my needs for around campus. My choice is either to wait for the new 15 inch pb to hit the shelves and order it that night, or buy the current ones. I would hate to go off wasting my money on a pb that is going to be updated a couple of weeks later.

My input, although I dont know much about apple. Apple was running their promotion on ram for quite some time, and that is finally over. I'm sure that cleared up a lot of the ram used for the 15 inch pb, and now they are waiting a little while longer until part of the invantory goes out the door. Although I feel it wont, because a lot of people like me are probably going to end up sitting this one out and pray for it to come in FEB sometime.

Sounds like you made your own decision.

rideahyperLite

macrumors member
Jan 12, 2003
what do u think the specs of the new 15" pb will be? similar to the 17? cuz i am gonna get a new laptop but i only get one like every eight years so i want to get the nuttiest one. if size really isnt a problem do u think that i should just get a 17 now or wait for the updated 15?

Attachments

• tbsicon5.gif
    tbsicon5.gif
    5.2 KB · Views: 1,336

jaguarx

macrumors regular
Jan 5, 2003
London
I'm tossing it up too.
Personally i've said stuffit, i'm getting the 17". I want a desktop replacement and i'm not keen to wait any longer.

benixau

macrumors 65816
Oct 9, 2002
Sydney, Australia
i dont like the price of the 17" i dont need fwire 800. i need a PC Card slot. i need airport.

therefore i need an AlumiBook. BUT i need one that has a backpackable screen. and a gig or RAM.

i think i know when i am going to buy. 15" AlumiBook, come ot daddy --- please :'(

Sakino

macrumors member
Jan 7, 2003
I talked with a guy at an apple store yesterday about the 15 inch pb. He said they might release some info late in Jan, or Feb about their plans. So hopefully they are letting their inventory go out the door, and making starting to stock up on the new 15 inch pbs.

ofey

macrumors newbie
Jan 12, 2003
Melbourne, Australia
Appeal for New 15" PowerBooks

I've only had my present 15" PowerBook G4 1GHz for someting like 3 months and being a recent switcher (my first mac though was one I used in my research lab: a desktop PowerMac G3 running OS9.2), I've gotten off to a very nice start on it. About the possibility of a new PowerBook in Febuary, I'm not really very excited as I would have a real problem then, the DESIRE of getting the new one *Maybe Apple could help with trade-ins? (just a thought)*.

I agree with most that the backlit keyboard, airport extreme and built in bluetooth would attract me greatly to upgrading but then again if the new Al PowerBook 15" changes its form factor and has the ports round the side of it, I doubt I'd be very happy. It would take the shine off the design. The brilliant thing about the present design is that the ports are at the back and you don't see the clutter of wires coming out from it and I do have quite a few from my digital camera, mouse (when I'm on my desk), Palm, ethernet cable(though this will be discounted as I'll get the airport base) and Power. If all these switched to the side *thought is too much to bear*. I don't mind the new 15" being the same thickness as this release and not going thinner but PLEASE keep the ports nice and neat at the rear of the PowerBook where it's out of sight?

will

macrumors regular
Aug 29, 2002
Re: Appeal for New 15" PowerBooks

Originally posted by ofey
I don't mind the new 15" being the same thickness as this release and not going thinner but PLEASE keep the ports nice and neat at the rear of the PowerBook where it's out of sight?

I disagree ports on the side are easier to access which is more important to me than aesthetics.

JSRockit

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2002
NYC
Originally posted by benixau
i dont like the price of the 17" i dont need fwire 800. i need a PC Card slot. i need airport.

therefore i need an AlumiBook. BUT i need one that has a backpackable screen. and a gig or RAM.

i think i know when i am going to buy. 15" AlumiBook, come ot daddy --- please :'(

Yep...you better wait then... max ram of 640mb on the 12" pBook and the 17" will not fit in any normal carry bag.

krohde

macrumors member
May 29, 2002
Europe, UK
My god. now im really in a dilemma. my parents were so nice as to give me a powerbook as a graduation present in september 2002 however, i have yet to order it because in september the november update was already rumored and then came the january rumors and now the update for a 15" AlBook. i think the 17" is too big for my use. i am now at college (with my brothers g3 PB 400mhz - quite slow to be honest) and i am desperately waiting for some info from reliable sources about new updated powerbooks and release dates. I also think, to follow some of apple's release history, that an updated 15" PB is going for mid february. the only thing is i have now waited for so long that i am almost desperate for a new computer. unfortunately the AlBook is not going to be released before (in europe) "late march" which really sucks and on the other hand leads me to believe that they wont update the 15" powerbook until april or may, hell even MWNY (btw are they going to that?).
What do you guys think???

Thanks

JSRockit

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2002
NYC
Originally posted by krohde
My god. now im really in a dilemma. my parents were so nice as to give me a powerbook as a graduation present in september 2002 however, i have yet to order it because in september the november update was already rumored and then came the january rumors and now the update for a 15" AlBook. i think the 17" is too big for my use. i am now at college (with my brothers g3 PB 400mhz - quite slow to be honest) and i am desperately waiting for some info from reliable sources about new updated powerbooks and release dates. I also think, to follow some of apple's release history, that an updated 15" PB is going for mid february. the only thing is i have now waited for so long that i am almost desperate for a new computer. unfortunately the AlBook is not going to be released before (in europe) "late march" which really sucks and on the other hand leads me to believe that they wont update the 15" powerbook until april or may, hell even MWNY (btw are they going to that?).
What do you guys think???

Thanks

I don't know how you waited after November...I would've bought at that point.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.