Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jmsait19

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 26, 2004
MO
So I was at the Apple Store today and saw one of these things. I thing they look nice...

It had a nice new iPod sticking out the top. So I thought I would play something on it so I could hear this amazing audiophile quality...

Then I start only hearing stuff out of the left side. On either the dock or the HiFi, the right side connection was bad, and unless I held it in the right position, I got nothing...

It was an orgasmic experience... I really wanted to trash my home stereo system for this great mono boombox (except it wasn't even mono).

But seriously, at least the left side sounded nice... I'd still love to hear it for real.

Koodauw

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2003
Madison
I actually like the iPod HiFi. I hope to hear one soon. If it sound good, I may just pick one up :eek: With two hands of coarse they look Heavy!

Counterfit

macrumors G3
Aug 20, 2003
sitting on your shoulder
Don't quit your day job. :rolleyes:

And MacWorld said that at $349, it would be great for college students. HA! Like they (we) have that much money lying around to drop on a one-trick pony. For that much, you could get a nice 5.1 system to hook up to your TV, computer, and/or game consoles.

Josh396

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2004
Peoria/Chicago, IL
Counterfit said:

And MacWorld said that at $349, it would be great for college students. HA! Like they (we) have that much money lying around to drop on a one-trick pony. For that much, you could get a nice 5.1 system to hook up to your TV, computer, and/or game consoles.
Well if you're a college student it's only $329.;) :rolleyes:

_bnkr612

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2004
They should put some of that speaker quality (emphasis) into their old and ugly stock headphones you get with the iPod.

Update those nasty things. I use the in-ear ones. I get earwax on them, but what else holds them in?

CubaTBird

macrumors 68020
Apr 18, 2004
bleh i think its not so great... i heard it at my local apple store and frankly my harmon kardon 2.1 system sounds better than this ipod "hifi" ever does.

howesey

macrumors 6502a
Dec 3, 2005
Josh396 said:
Well if you're a college student it's only $329.;) :rolleyes:
Better off getting Monitor Audio's dock. Speak nice to a hi-fi store, they'll get you money off.

I heard the iPod hi-fi on Wednesday, I wasn't too pleased with it. It was better than Bose (usually are), but the margin between the MA's and Apple was even bigger.

d_saum

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2005
NC
yoda13 said:
Yeah, it might be a nice addition to my office....:D

Thats exactly what I was thinking!!! :D This thing would never replace my home stereo, but I would definitely put one in my office! ( if I like the sound quality )

ITASOR

macrumors 601
Mar 20, 2005
pdpfilms said:
hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah

best joke of the day.

And, the fact that you CAN hook it up to your video games/computer/tv if you really wanted.

mustard

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2005
NJ
Sirus The Virus said:
For the price of the iPod HiFi you could get an even better set of speakers. Frankly I think it's overpriced.

But what is at about that Apple logo that makes me question wether or not I should get something while subtly pushing rationality aside?

mikejames

macrumors member
Nov 2, 2005
England
It's completely over-priced. Not impressed at all. And surely having the ipod sticking out the top of it is an accident waiting to happen?

It is was lighter, better designed and slightly cheaper then I would consider it.

iHeartTheApple

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2006
Boston, MA
Counterfit said:

Agreed completely...I went into the Apple Store yesterday to check out the HiFi. It sounds great. I don't know if its the best I've heard out of something like that, but it sounds great. What it doesn't sound like is justification for me to spend $350! I think it's a bit pricey, imho. College students, eh? Yeah I'm *still* a college student and won't spend that much on a "one-trick pony," as you said...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.