Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iHateWindows

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 11, 2005
Is it possible to do this with extreme modification? What about an Intel Core Duo?

Steve1496

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2004
iHateWindows said:
Is it possible to do this with extreme modification? What about an Intel Core Duo?

You'd have to replace the motherboard, too...

mikemodena

macrumors 6502a
May 30, 2005
Connecticut
I suppose if you could find the motherboard and then buy a processor on NewEgg or something and rebuilt it... but then you'd have to get a copy of OS X intel legally somehow.. you could possibly make it fit. But, the price tag would end up being close to a new mini probably.. a 1.67GHz Core Solo is $250 on NewEgg I think, and not sure how much that motherboard would cost.

Not to mention the possibility of really really screwing up everything..

Oh and I do believe the new mini has a SATA connection for the HDD, so you'd have to find a SATA laptop HDD, and the new minis have different AE and BT antenas.

So I guess.. it's impossible. The Core processor WILL NOT fit into the old motherboard.

Edit: If you really wanna mod and it don't care about your warranty, overclock the old mini, put in a faster HDD.. things like that.

plinkoman

macrumors 65816
Jul 2, 2003
New York
yea seriously, in the end this would cost you as much as just getting a new mini. you'd basically need all the parts from a new mini, and put them in the old mini's case, and then you'd run into problems with the new ports on the back etc...

really, if you want a core solo mini, save up for one ;)

Shamus

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2006
why would u wanna do this anyway....theres nothin wrong with 1.42 ghz mac mini

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.