Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mass Hysteria

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 31, 2005
I want to replace the HD in the powerbook as 80gb is not nearly enough (plus a small boost in performance would be nice)

Does anyone know if it is possible to put a Seagate 160gb ATA in one or are there hardware issues to consider such as maximum sizes that can be recognised etc?

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
well its going to come at a huge cost. i think they are like $375 for one. and if your powerbook is still under warranty it will void your warranty.

your best bet will be to get the physical specs of it (ie the height and width of the drive), as well, and compare it to the "okay" specs for installation at http://www.pbfixit.com. that would be the only limiting factor. the height especially.

Mass Hysteria

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 31, 2005
Its only money!

Seriously though, I'm not bothered by the price, I just need the extra storage and am willing to pay through the nose for it.

I don't want an external drive (even a small one). I know it would offer me much greater storage at a smaller price, but I would lose the portability.

I don't have a warranty, and would get apple to install it – unless they quote me a ridiculous price, in which case its 'laptop roulette' time with a screwdriver and a service manual!

Thanks for that link, It seems the drives are standard as far as length and with are concerned and just vary the height at either 12.5 or 9.5mm

In this case, the Seagate is 7 cm x 10 cm x 9.5 mm (WxDxH) so it seems to fit ok

I also had a look at OWC's upgrade page for this powerbook, they list all the other brands and capacities of drive except the seagate 160gb (and they do stock this model).

I am concerned that they think it wont work in this powerbook or do they just need to update their web site?

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
send OWC an email inquiring about it?

i replaced a hard drive in my 12"powerbook. using the guides on pbfixit.com it was rather simple, just be sure to get the right size screwdrivers and you'll be good to go. Apple will probably charge a good deal of money to change it for you though.

that height should be fine for fitting in your 'book though.

Mass Hysteria

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 31, 2005
good idea, now why didnt I think of that!

Also - I've got the service manual with lots of images of the take apart proceedure, it doesn't look too daunting.

EDIT: just had a reply already!

"Any 2.5" drive should work just fine"

cool, I'll get one ordered!

Mass Hysteria

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 31, 2005
Update

williamw said:
Well tell us how it go's :)

Drive's in and running fine – I followed the fixit guides

Seems faster than the 80GB 4200RPM that was in there before
this could be partly due to a clean install though

It is just slightly louder than the old one, though, at this level, loud is hardly accurate!

But the most important thing is the extra space – fantastic!

This drive should definately be an option with the new books.

plinkoman

macrumors 65816
Jul 2, 2003
New York
i'd almost be willing to drop that much on a 160GB hd, but not since it's only 5400. then again, i have .96TB of storage total, so what the hell is another 60GB to me :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.