Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Miguey

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 5, 2006
So Cal 909
well as i have said before, i wanted a mac and i just bought one.! yay! i got the 14 inch ibook for 999, and its in my lap and i need to know waht are some good basic programs i should use? thanks

where do i get coconut battery?

where to get dashboard widgets?

i know this is a dumb question but how do you use trackpad?
p.s. it is the 14 inch stock model

edit--hey can someone tell me why my battery seems to being going up and down? it was at 3:03 and then a few minutes later its at 3:24.

Unorthodox

macrumors 65816
Mar 3, 2006
Not at the beach...
Just so you know.... The guys and gals here are real sharks.
If you don't get my drift check out this thread.
Yup.
I don't want your first experience with Macs to be a bad one.
But most of us have already seen an iBook....
If you want some opinions for for programs, you may get better results if you asked for more specific programs. Like a word processor.

Your battery will go up and down, depending what setting you have it on.

ibook30

macrumors 6502a
Jun 4, 2005
2,000 light years from home
Just so you know.... The guys and gals here are real sharks.
If you don't get my drift check out this thread.
Yup.

Your just looking for the negative!

Congrats on the ibook !
GREAT choice for your first forray into mac land. I have had my current ibook for well over two years - no problems. A RAM upgrade is a nice little treat, but there's no rush. I waited over a year, and then it was like having a new machine.

Some of the basic / extra software that helped me -
MS Office
Photoshop - at least Elements

that's all I needed for years ! If you are interested in digital art - video - etc, there is a lot more out there.

Enjoy !

Miguey

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 5, 2006
So Cal 909
i need another answer,

when burning a video/movie onto a dvd, how long does it take on your ibook? i have left my laptop on for over a day and its 4/5ths done asset coding on iDvd. i would like to know if its supposed to take this long, and hw long does it take you?

and also, when i try to play this or another of a .avi kind it says that i need some necessary quicktime software and that it is missing, any answers?

Shamus

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2006
i cant answer your question about burning DVD 's and how long it takes...but i think i can answer the .avi question: make sure that the latest quicktime version is installed. If that doesnt work, find a plug-in that supports .avi. If that still doesnt work, i would say that its a different type of file...such as a .wmv inside a .avi 'shell'. To see if this is true, try playing different types of .avi files and see if they work :)

aussie_geek

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2004
Sydney Australia
try these!!

Miguey said:
i need another answer,
and also, when i try to play this or another of a .avi kind it says that i need some necessary quicktime software and that it is missing, any answers?

Firstly, welcome to the Mac community!! :)

Quicktime doesn't always play avi's. Download VLC. It opens every video file except Window$ media files. You need Window$ Media Player for those.

A good source of programs is VersionTracker. Plenty of free stuff there.

Have fun,

:D

aussie_geek

galstaph

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2002
The Great White North Eh
Congrats on the iBook, they're great machines.
As people have said, versiontracker is a good way to find apps, VLC is a must for video (even allows you to watch .vob files off a dvd!), Offive for mac is actually good (I know M$ blasphemy, but it is good), iWork is good, if only for keynote. Can't comment on encoding dvd on ibook as mine just has the combo drive, but on my mom's new iMac it took about an hour, on my peecee it takes about 2-3hours... Oh toast is a great program for burning... Adobe creative suite is nice if you need design stuff, I haven't tried final cut yet but if you can get a copy of adobe premiere it does work on the iBook, just takes a while (meaning patience and willingness to hear the fans howl), to let things come together.
Other free software which I will not go into that I use:
Frostwire
Azerius
gdisk
google earth
fetch
goliath
onyx
flip4mac
lego digital designer
vectorworks architect 10

obviously not every program listed is for you...

Shamus

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2006
aussie_geek said:
Firstly, welcome to the Mac community!! :)

Quicktime doesn't always play avi's. Download VLC. It opens every video file except Window$ media files. You need Window$ Media Player for those.

But even Windows Media Player doesnt function all that well...:(

Miguey

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 5, 2006
So Cal 909
when i placed my newly burned dvd inside the dvd player, it just stood black, didnt play my movie, it would only play one screen which was my like opening, i opened all the folders and it never played, any ideas?

p.s. my dvd player is dvd-r and my so was my disc

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
Miguey said:
when i placed my newly burned dvd inside the dvd player, it just stood black, didnt play my movie, it would only play one screen which was my like opening, i opened all the folders and it never played, any ideas?

p.s. my dvd player is dvd-r and my so was my disc

When using iDVD to burn movies (that you created, usually with iMovie), it's usually better to "Save to Disk Image" first. That way, the Mac will do the encoding (which is time consuming) separately from the burning. If there's a problem, you won't make coasters.

After creating the Disk Image, you can use DVD Player to test out your creation. Make sure the menus all work and things look right.

If everything's OK, then use Disk Utility (found in the Applications/Utilities Folder) to burn the image to a DVD-R. This is helpful when you want to burn mulitple copies of the same movie (i.e. one for you, one for parents, etc).

Hope this helps.

Oh yeah, as for software:

Mac The Ripper
Handbrake
PDF Lab
Toast
VLC
Coconut Battery

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.