Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cosmic

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 20, 2004
Hello everyone

My iBook's hard drive failed yesterday, it won't boot normally. What I get is a flashing question mark. The night before, the hard drive suddenly started clicking alot and then the system crashed.

I have tried a few options to get to the drive, but the drive will not mount. Tried resetting the PRAM, booting up from a repair CD, using the 'x' key, and connecting the iBook by firewire as an external drive. It won't mount.

Does someone have any experience with this? Is using recovery software going to toast it even more? Is my only resort to send the drive to a restore service place? I'd like to get some files I didn't get the chance to backup, this happened so fast. :(

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
I reckon Target Disk mode (the Firewire part) was probably your best bet. Since it didn't work, I'd stop trying for fear of doing any damage (if possible) and taking it to a professional.

Just out of interest, can you boot off the CD at all? If so, then it's sounding like a classic failed hard drive which is good in that they're easily replaced. :)

cosmic

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 20, 2004
I'm toast without jam.

I can boot off a CD, HD is nowhere though. Thanks, I will try some professional help. Just hoped there was a last try!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.