Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

teamplayer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 10, 2003
These are the new Powermacs which will be released on February 3rd one week after the iMac & eMac update. As you can see no new chips (we're still over clocking). The 1.43GHz runs HOT and basically does nothing except wait for instructions as the DDR set up is still hindered. Front ports are nice, as well the prices which we're hoping sells these things.

$2,999.00
Dual 1.43GHz PowerPC G4
256K L2 cache
& 2MB L3 cache/processor
167MHz System Bus
512MB PC2700 DDR SDRAM
180GB Ultra ATA drive
SuperDrive (DVD-R/CD-RW) (4X)
Firewire 800 X 4
USB 1.1 X 4
Airport Extreme (built in)
Bluetooth

Dual 1.25 GHZ
256K L2 cache
& 2MB L3 cache/processor
167MHz System Bus
256MB PC2700 DDR SDRAM
120GB Ultra ATA drive
SuperDrive (DVD-R/CD-RW) (4X)
Firewire 800 X 4
USB 1.1 X 4
Bluetooth

cases for the top two have changed slightly, there are now 4 front ports available (2 X Firewire 800, 2 X USB 1.1)

$1,599.00
Dual 1GHz
256K L2 cache
NO L3 cache
everything else is the same as current product.

rice_web

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2001
Minot, North Dakota
1.43GHz is fairly respectable. While faster, cooler chips would be nice, this isn't bad. The performance of the Macs is steadily increasing, and the price appears to be dropping with each revision. While I won't believe this news until I see it, it is interesting.

I too would like information on the iMac update; I'm just about ready to put my money down on one.

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
not to shabby. i like the extra ports, those are really needed. not that im doubting because these seem very accurate, where did you get your sources.

iJon

trebblekicked

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2002
Chicago, IL, USA
Re: Feb. 3rd New Powermacs

Originally posted by teamplayer

Firewire 800 X 4
USB 1.1 X 4

i didn't think FW800 was backwards compatible w/FW400...am i wrong? don't you need some kind of adapter? that would suck...

what do you think about not including USB2?

zarathustra

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2002
Boston
Re: Re: Feb. 3rd New Powermacs

Originally posted by trebblekicked

i didn't think FW800 was backwards compatible w/FW400...am i wrong? don't you need some kind of adapter? that would suck...

It is backwards compatible, sort of. It depends what implementation of IEEE1394b they used. Here is a link. PDF

As you can see, it is backwards compatible, but over time it will be killed off.More.

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
Re: Re: Feb. 3rd New Powermacs

Originally posted by trebblekicked

your right about the compatibility, fw400 works with it but because fw800 is a different shape a adapter is needed.but honestly i would rather have 4 fw800 ports and use an adapter to downgrade then having 2 and 2. I dont really see the point of apple adding usb 2.0. on my pc i have 8 usb 2.0 ports. now i didnt buy these extra ports, came with the motherboad i bought. but anyways, i have 3 things connected to my usb ports. my ishock, my keyboard, and my mouse. thats it. but i do think apple should include it, just becasue the reason it is back compatible and some people will use it. in the usb world, 1.1 is dead and 2.0 is the new standard. there is no reason why apple shouldnt adopt it because i doubt if it is much more or any more expensive for the royalites and productions costs of usb 2.0. another thing i think apple should include on their computers are s-video ports on the video card. apple's ati and nvidia cards are the only ones ive seen that dont have an svideo. i love taking my pc with my geforce 4 ti4400 and playing battlefield 1942 on my 60 inch big screen. although i dont play games on my mac so i would have no use for the svideo so i dont completly blame apple for not putting one on there because few people would use them. but it should be there becasue options are good, becasue it doesnt take much to add those little things that may make a difference because some people may use it.

iJon

superkatalog

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2002
switzerland
are 4x fw800 port not a bit too many? most bigger drives have two ports for chaining. ok, for dv cam an such, it may be practical, but i doubt....

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
Originally posted by superkatalog
are 4x fw800 port not a bit too many? most bigger drives have two ports for chaining. ok, for dv cam an such, it may be practical, but i doubt....
yeah you are right, i daisy chain all of mine so 2 would suit me just fine. although 4 in my opinion is the minimum, especially sinc apple uses usb mice and keyboards. on my powermac i have used up all 2 ports on the back, both on the keyboard, and both on my display. i would also like front ports, like my xserve does, although its firewire and not usb.

iJon

medea

macrumors 68030
Aug 4, 2002
Madison, Wi
sorry but I doubt this, first off Apple kept the current Firewire in the two new powerbooks so why would they drop it from the powermacs, it's a different connector for Firewire800 and so far I havn't seen many adapters out for it yet, and the rest of the specs would be an easy guess. Also you state "the prices which we're hoping to sell these things" and "we're still overclocking" but uh Apple has this thing were they don't like theyre employees leaking information, if this was true Apple would be contacting arn for your IP and email.....if it is true then good luck finding a new job buddy, hope it was worth it.

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
Originally posted by medea
sorry but I doubt this, first off Apple kept the current Firewire in the two new powerbooks so why would they drop it from the powermacs, it's a different connector for Firewire800 and so far I havn't seen many adapters out for it yet, and the rest of the specs would be an easy guess. Also you state "the prices which we're hoping to sell these things" and "we're still overclocking" but uh Apple has this thing were they don't like theyre employees leaking information, if this was true Apple would be contacting arn for your IP and email.....if it is true then good luck finding a new job buddy, hope it was worth it.
good point, i never did think about them leaving the fw400 on there, anyways, it will be on the new powermacs, 1 port, maybe 2, who knows. as for him leaking info, he shouldnt. if i worked for apple and knew something i would want to tell it to this site so bad, but i would respect steve's choice for not wanting people to know and i would keep it to myself, and i wouldnt want to get sued, out of a job, and possibly thrown in jail, but more for the respect of steve (cough,cough,prison).

iJon

pantagruel

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2002
here and there
Originally posted by medea
Good thinking, I got real excited until I realized they probably would keep the firewire. Oh well the specs are probably pretty acurate anywas because it seems like that is the next step.
Id probably end up leaking info too though so its a good thing I dont work for apple.

trebblekicked

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2002
Chicago, IL, USA
Re: Re: Re: Feb. 3rd New Powermacs

Originally posted by zarathustra

It is backwards compatible, sort of. It depends what implementation of IEEE1394b they used. Here is a link. PDF

As you can see, it is backwards compatible, but over time it will be killed off.More.

thanks for the info. since SJ announced the product as FW800 and not FW2, does that mean they are planning incremental updates to the standard, a la processors, as development continues (800-1k-1.6)?

dricci

macrumors 6502a
Dec 15, 2001
This sounds pretty good, I just wish Apple would stop treating their lower-class power Mac as a second class citizen. $1600 is a lot of money, and I don't think it'd cost them that much extra to include an L3 cache and the new case rev.

It'd be great if they could take one more step down, maybe for $1299 and have a dual 867 setup.

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
Originally posted by dricci
This sounds pretty good, I just wish Apple would stop treating their lower-class power Mac as a second class citizen. $1600 is a lot of money, and I don't think it'd cost them that much extra to include an L3 cache and the new case rev.

It'd be great if they could take one more step down, maybe for $1299 and have a dual 867 setup.
then nobody would buy the imac

iJon

DreaminDirector

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2002
Ladera Ranch, CA
....secret...

I just got a job with Apple and I haven't posted a damn thing since I was hired. I'm just too damn scared that I might accidentially say the wrong thing or misrepresent them in some way. I'm a lowly peon in the world of Apple and we don't know squat, but still, I fear the wrath of Apple's legal department....

besides, Apple actually treats thier employees very well.

And Jobs, if you're listening.... could I get a raise?

JSRockit

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2002
NYC
Originally posted by dricci

The pMac isn't meant top be a cheap computer...however, maybe Apple should think of making a tower for the low-end. eMacs and iMacs are ok, but sometimes people don't like all in ones.

mymemory

macrumors 68020
May 9, 2001
Miami
Originally posted by Megaquad
I think people should stop HURTING Apple with these leaks. I hope Apple Legal gets all of you morons who leak data.

Don't you think there is a reason Apple has policy not to ever discuss upcoming products and sue leakers?

YOU ****ING MORONS DIE!!

As for you Apple employees who didnt yet leaked any data:
Apple Legal should not be the only reason you dont do that, its good of your own company, and good that this company is making for entire world!

Man you are sick!

Go get some pot.

You are in a Rumors's site, that is what we discuss here, more leaks, more rumors, more topics.

You can tell Apple to suit MacRumors if you want, good luck.

JSRockit

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2002
NYC
I think people should stop HURTING Apple with these leaks. I hope Apple Legal gets all of you morons who leak data.

Don't you think there is a reason Apple has policy not to ever discuss upcoming products and sue leakers?

YOU ****ING MORONS DIE!!

As for you Apple employees who didnt yet leaked any data:
Apple Legal should not be the only reason you dont do that, its good of your own company, and good that this company is making for entire world!

I don't think it hurts Apple too much...I think it generates excitement that is truly unique to Apple. I don't see Sony rumor sites...or Toshiba rumor sites. However, I guess you mean that once the info is leaked that it hurts apple's current product line-up...that is true.
Truly though...the few people that always wait to buy because of a rumor site is probably a small number.

Megaquad

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2001
I dont have anything agaist macrumors I watch for new rumors with excitement every day, I just hate those coldblooded leakers.

JSRockit

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2002
NYC
I dont have anything agaist macrumors I watch for new rumors with excitement every day, I just hate those coldblooded leakers.

I think people link the info out of pure excitement...right? How is that cold blooded?

benixau

macrumors 65816
Oct 9, 2002
Sydney, Australia
well duh. remeber when you were in school. if you knew something someone else didnt you couldnt wait to tell them.

people who work at apple and know stuff are really just big kids who have a few more thousand dollars of value in there secrets.

JSRockit

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2002
NYC
Originally posted by benixau
well duh. remeber when you were in school. if you knew something someone else didnt you couldnt wait to tell them.

people who work at apple and know stuff are really just big kids who have a few more thousand dollars of value in there secrets.

Duh.

ChicagoMac

macrumors regular
Nov 8, 2002
Battle Creek, MI
Don't get too excited

I'd like to point out that this is TeamPlayer's 1st post ever on Macrumors and he or she has given no proof as to why these figures and stats are true. I'd like to know where teamplayer gets his or her info. I could make up some believable stats too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.