Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Shrek

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 23, 2002
Nashville, Tennessee USA
Ok, it's been little more than a year since the release of the new flat-panel iMacs. When do you all think that the iMac will updated again? I'm thinking on the 17th, approximately 6 months after the announcement of the 17-inch iMac. What kind hardware do you think it will have and what features do you think it will be loaded with? Here is my prediction:

On upcoming iMacs I would like to see:
  • 1GHz and 1.25GHz clock speeds respectively
  • Support for DDR
  • Up to 2GB of RAM
  • 167 MHz Bus Speed
  • Up to 120GB Hard Drive
  • 19" Screen Option
  • Expandable AGP Graphics Card Slot
  • Expandable PCI Sound Card Slot
  • Bluetooth Built-In
  • Support for 802.11g Airport Card
  • Gigabit Ethernet
  • Firewire 800 & USB 2.0

That would sell a lot of iMacs! A lot more iMacs. This would actually make the iMac line a very profitable one once again (and attract a lot of PC users! :D), but I don't think that it will disrupt sales of PowerMacs too much. PowerMacs will still have many features that iMacs don't have (such as dual processors, support for dual displays, and support for up to four 120GB hard drives).

Personally, I would like to see two 17" models with 1GHz and 1.25GHz processors and two 19" models with 1GHz and 1.25GHz processors respectively and all with Superdrives. And maybe one 15" model with a Superdrive.

EDIT: Though some may say that "if you want all those options a PowerMac would be better" I don't believe that consumers should have to pay $4,000-$5,000+ to get it. I can see the possibility of a $3,000 iMac, but hey, there are many prosumer PCs that cost that much, too. ;)

Feature packed iMacs is the name of the game! :D

Now I'm going to go back and finish watching the Titans game. You just know that I have to watch. ;)

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
I think that if they did offer the specs you are predicting the iMac would cut a BIG hole in PowerMac sales which wouldn't be good IMO.

benixau

macrumors 65816
Oct 9, 2002
Sydney, Australia
1.25Ghz
dual 1.25Ghz

this is how the people percieve it and how apple markets it. the umbes matter,

but we need those speeds in the imacs to be relfected in higher pmac speeds. oh well., we can only hope .... :)

orthodoc

macrumors member
Aug 25, 2002
Texas
Shrek: I think these specs would be great. Like I've said before, I don't believe that these specs would hurt pmac sales for several reasons. One, the pmacs have dual processors. Two, they are upgradeable. And three, the pmacs will probably receive faster processors shortly after the iMac update. So, 1.25 GHz would be a sufficient bump after over 1 year of waiting.

I may be asking too much, but I would like to see a faster FSB than 167 MHz. Don't the new 12 inch pbooks have a 233 MHz FSB? Maybe the iMacs could use the same board, while the upgraded pmacs could get 333 MHz FSB from the 17 inch pbooks. (I may have these specs wrong?)

Lastly, I'm not sure Apple would have two 19 inch models only separated by processor speed. People that are willing to pay for 19 inch iMacs will most likely want the faster processors.

Just my opinion. :D

mac15

macrumors 68040
Dec 29, 2001
it must be something with iMacs, on apple.com.au store they have an 8 day wait, I smell and update.
I think upto 1ghz with bluetooth and Airport Extreme. And 17inch screens across the board

Shrek

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 23, 2002
Nashville, Tennessee USA
Re: Re: Looking Forward to the 17th

Originally posted by MacUser1

Go Pittsburgh!! :D :D :D

Too bad. Titans won by the skin of their teeth in overtime. But I have to say that that was the most exciting football game I have ever seen! GO TITANS!!! ALL THE WAY TO THE SUPERBOWL!!! :D :D :D

Wardofsky

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2002
Consumer level

The iMacs are generally aimed at the home user, I agree that it would be cool if all those options would be avaliable but the iMac, and the ones before it were meant to be simple enough to use for someone who has not used one before.

Don't hate me for this.

If you need something with all those options, you'll be a pro user so a G4 Quad Exhaust would help.

I'm open for comments that kick me to the ground.

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
Re: Looking Forward to the 17th

Originally posted by Shrek
Expandable AGP Graphics Card Slot

Expandable PCI Sound Card Slot

exactly how will you go about doing this in that flat panel imac.

iJon

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
Re: Consumer level

Originally posted by Wardofsky

If you need something with all those options, you'll be a pro user so a G4 Quad Exhaust would help.
Just FYI, the new PowerMac is known better as an MDD (Mirrored Drive Doors) PowerMac :)

Wardofsky

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2002
Re: Re: Consumer level

Originally posted by edesignuk

Just FYI, the new PowerMac is known better as an MDD (Mirrored Drive Doors) PowerMac :)

Yeah I know that, but quad exhaust sounds cool, so I'm sticking with what I said.

Wardofsky

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2002
Re: Re: Consumer level

Originally posted by edesignuk

Yeah I knew, but how much better does Quad Exhaust sound?

Attachments

• picture 1.jpg
    picture 1.jpg
    1.8 KB · Views: 1,647

MacPorter

macrumors newbie
Jan 9, 2003
Victory Brewpub
Speaking of the sound of quad exhaust -

I hope they aren't as loud as some have described. My new DP867 is somewhere in the back of a truck on the way to my house from CA.

I can barely contain myself waiting for the big day. I already have the 15" Studio Display, which is making the wait 10x harder.

My iMac DV 400 is retiring to easier days as a email/kids station.

Mal

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
We call them the G4 Wind Tunnel or Mirror, but you're right, the extra noise is greatly exaggerated. It is much louder, but still not too bad. Certainly not enough to cut down on speaker quality like some people have said.

Those iMac specs are not too likely, and frankly, I'd rather see cheaper iMacs with similar spec to what they have now than extra power iMacs.

JW

rjrufo

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2002
Boston
edesignuk, how in the hell do you expect people to concentrate on the thread when you have a 'tar like that?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.