Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

supermacdesign

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 1, 2006
Call me desperate or call me observant but this cannot be ignored.

I wondered what the iTunes store would have to do with the the video format they offer for purchase in the store. What I mean by format is would they have to recode or stream everything in the new widescreen format of the new AV. The answer is yes. I was checking out the last few episodes of Battlestar Galactica and realized that the preview format of the episodes changed from the current "square" format to the new "widscreen" format on the most recent episodes. This to me is evidence that apple is all ready prepping its content in the store for the new iPod AV.

Sweet!

Johnny Rico

macrumors 6502
Feb 17, 2005
LOL

I have a widescreen DVD that I'm going to watch on my G4 imac, does that mean apple is about to come out with a widescreen G4 imac?

Suspended
Dec 27, 2003
Well...

Johnny Rico said:
LOL

I have a widescreen DVD that I'm going to watch on my G4 imac, does that mean apple is about to come out with a widescreen G4 imac?

Actually, the G4 iMacs ARE widescreen.

admanimal

macrumors 68040
Apr 22, 2005
Pretty much everybody already agrees that the real widescreen video iPod exists. We just don't know exactly what it looks like and when it will come out.

ehayut

Suspended
Jun 29, 2005
supermacdesign said:
Call me desperate or call me observant but this cannot be ignored.

I wondered what the iTunes store would have to do with the the video format they offer for purchase in the store. What I mean by format is would they have to recode or stream everything in the new widescreen format of the new AV. The answer is yes. I was checking out the last few episodes of Battlestar Galactica and realized that the preview format of the episodes changed from the current "square" format to the new "widscreen" format on the most recent episodes. This to me is evidence that apple is all ready prepping its content in the store for the new iPod AV.

Sweet!

thse other poster seem to think you're crazy, but I think this is evidence for a new widescreen ipod. Good find!

mcmillan

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2004
I think that when the AV iPod comes out (if that ever happens) they won't change all the "square" material to widescreen, they will probably start selling widecreen movies, but we won't see The Daily Show in widescreen for example.

supermacdesign

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 1, 2006
I think some of you missed the point. For example Battlestar Galactica is a television show. Up until 3 episodes or so ago when it was posted on the iTunes store in the video iPod "square" format. Now they are posting the newest episodes in a "widescreen" format. That without a doubt tells me the AV Pod is coming much sooner that later.

Of course the daily show won't be in widscreen because it isn;t produced that way. Galactica is and now that the AV is coming they are posting it that way. There is no time like the present to start backlogging/building your libray of content AV ready.

mark!

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2006
America
calebjohnston said:
iPods AV's. try reaaading.

He's probably confusded because people jacked the thread talking about iMac widescreeens, it got confusing. Try understanding.

gammamonk

macrumors 6502a
Jun 4, 2004
Madison, WI
supermacdesign said:
I think some of you missed the point. For example Battlestar Galactica is a television show. Up until 3 episodes or so ago when it was posted on the iTunes store in the video iPod "square" format. Now they are posting the newest episodes in a "widescreen" format. That without a doubt tells me the AV Pod is coming much sooner that later.

Of course the daily show won't be in widscreen because it isn;t produced that way. Galactica is and now that the AV is coming they are posting it that way. There is no time like the present to start backlogging/building your libray of content AV ready.

This is a good point. Battlestar is produced in Widescreen, so only including a widescreen version for the last 3 episodes is a good clue.

I'll love to replace my 3G ipod with a widescreen beauty.

mark!

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2006
America
supermacdesign said:
Thank you Markkk. I was being sarcastic. The thread was indeed jacked.

ahha sorry...its so hard to tell online...unless its like seriously out of wack :eek: :eek:

stoid

macrumors 601
notice though that the WS version is encoded small enough that it won't have to be down scaled to fit the 5g's screen. so unless the iPod AV is planned at a dismal resolution, they'll have to encode thew different anyway, so the point is moot.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.