Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

erkanasu

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 11, 2006
Yeah, i like to keep my stuff cleannnnnnn!
Okay, i know i can get screen wipes for the laptop screen, but what about the body? Whats the best method for getting the grim and smuge marks off these things? Thanks

esaleris

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2005
Rubbing alcohol and some nice paper towels work for me on the body. If you're extra picky, go get some of those wipes for glasses - those tend to be the nicest for any sensitive surface, glass or not.

And then go get some automotive Turtle Wax from Wal-Mart and use a smidge on your machine's exterior.

Okay, that last part's a joke. God knows if we did that, we'd be waxing our legs every day, because the machine would melt it away and leave it on our legs!

ironic23

macrumors 6502
Feb 8, 2006
i use iKlear and the micro-fiber cloth. it removes dirt really well and keeps my macs from being scratched. it also adds some shine to my macs, especially the iMac.

Electro Funk

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2005
The Opium Garden
Viva paper towels (very very soft) and windex seems to work great on the exterior of my old titanium G4 Pbook... Microfiber cloth and water on the screen to keep it crystal clear:cool:

Electro Funk

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2005
The Opium Garden
ironic23 said:
i use iKlear and the micro-fiber cloth. it removes dirt really well and keeps my macs from being scratched. it also adds some shine to my macs, especially the iMac.

does it really add some shine? i have thought of using this but never have... now that i have the new iMac, maybe i'll give it a shot...

mattster16

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2004
adk said:
I've heard that those will actually take the letters off the keyboard, so be careful.

That's not possible on a powerbook (if you have a backlit keyboard) because the letters are not just a 'painted' on. They are actually little clear spots in the key. How else would the light get through?

Leraste

macrumors regular
Jan 24, 2006
Los Angeles
ironic23 said:

Same here. ;)

ironic23

macrumors 6502
Feb 8, 2006
yeah, it really does add some shine to the iMac. i noticed this when i first got the iKlear and used it on both my powerbook and iMac. The powerbook looked much newer than before and the iMac just 'shone'. :) Works on my new baby, the MBP too. I'd suggest spraying the solution on the cloth and then wiping the machine, rather than spraying it directly (you can do that for the LCD though).

Saluki Alex

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2006
Illinois
Gurutech said:
How do we clean tiny thingy stucked in the speaker hole?

While I don't yet have a MBP, I'd suggest using compressed air. Just be careful with the stuff, if you've never used it before, I implore you to read the instructions/warnings on the can.

mmmcheese

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2006
Koodauw said:
how about a damp paper towel or sponge? cheap and just as effective.

Paper products are a bad idea on screens because they scratch surfaces really easily. A soft cloth would be a better option. They are probably find on the rest of the machine, although on an ipod or ibook, they will likely scratch the surface since both are quite delicate.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.