Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tfh1013

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 17, 2005
Somewhere, Overthere
OK... here's the deal...

I have a G3 iBook 600MHz with 384 MB of RAM and a G4 eMac 700MHz with 256 MB of RAM.

Both of these computers are starting to show their age, especially the iBook. It is to the point were it takes 4 seconds to open up a folder. I use the eMac MUCH more often, but the iBook is practically ancient. If I replace the iBook, then I have a wicked fast portable that i won't use as much as my desktop. But if I replace the eMac, then I have a fast desktop, but i won't be able to install any new iLife software, or anything like that.

Here are my options:
1) Replace my eMac with a brand new shiny Intel iMac and just suck it up software wise with the iBook
2) Replace the iBook with a brand new MacBook Pro (or a new iBook/MacBook) and just have a slow desktop.
3)Use my super multi-taskiing powers to type on three keyboards at once...

What should I do??
Thanks
-tfh

corywoolf

macrumors 65816
Jun 28, 2004
tfh1013 said:
OK... here's the deal...

I have a G3 iBook 600MHz with 384 MB of RAM and a G4 eMac 700MHz with 256 MB of RAM.

Both of these computers are starting to show their age, especially the iBook. It is to the point were it takes 4 seconds to open up a folder. I use the eMac MUCH more often, but the iBook is practically ancient. If I replace the iBook, then I have a wicked fast portable that i won't use as much as my desktop. But if I replace the eMac, then I have a fast desktop, but i won't be able to install any new iLife software, or anything like that.

Here are my options:
1) Replace my eMac with a brand new shiny Intel iMac and just suck it up software wise with the iBook
2) Replace the iBook with a brand new MacBook Pro (or a new iBook/MacBook) and just have a slow desktop.
3)Use my super multi-taskiing powers to type on three keyboards at once...

What should I do??
Thanks
-tfh
I would beef up the RAM on the eMac to at least 768 MB and get a 1.83 Ghz MBP. That would be a sweet combo, you could use any apps that aren't universal and are too slow in rosetta on the eMac, then when everything goes universal, make the eMac into a music server and rock the house!

yankeefan24

macrumors 65816
Dec 24, 2005
NYC
corywoolf said:
I would beef up the RAM on the eMac to at least 768 MB and get a 1.83 Ghz MBP. That would be a sweet combo, you could use any apps that aren't universal and are too slow in rosetta on the eMac, then when everything goes universal, make the eMac into a music server and rock the house!

I have to agree with that. Get the MBP. You won't regret it.

m-dogg

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2004
Connecticut
The iBook seems like it is in much more need of upgrading, so I would go with what is needed first.

In theory, though, you could probably sell both machines to fund the new MBP, because I doubt you'd want to use the old eMac anymore anyway once you get the MBP...

stonyc

macrumors 65816
Feb 15, 2005
Michigan
m-dogg said:
The iBook seems like it is in much more need of upgrading, so I would go with what is needed first.

In theory, though, you could probably sell both machines to fund the new MBP, because I doubt you'd want to use the old eMac anymore anyway once you get the MBP...
Listen to this man... :)

Macky-Mac

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2004
Whichever older machine you keep is suddenly going to seem extremely slow compared to the new computer........you'll find you really notice the difference and will really hate using the older one......that's what happened to me anyway

I think you should replace the emac because it's the main computer.....and get more ram for the ibook, I found that helped my G3 500 ibook a whole lot

_Matt

macrumors 6502
Aug 24, 2005
sell both to fund for your shiny new MacBook Pro! :D

As said before, you won't use the spare computer at all once you get a new machine. And you could use the money you get for them to offset the cost of your new Mac. If money is a factor, get an iMac. :)

mwpeters8182

macrumors 6502
Apr 16, 2003
Boston, MA
That's a tough one. I'd replace the eMac, because you can get more power for your money that way, and you use it more often. I use my desktop for most of my computing, and my laptop when I'm on the road, etc. I'd much rather have more power in the desktop. You could always get rid of both, and do a more mild upgrade with the iBook - maybe an iMac Core Duo and a G4 iBook.

tfh1013

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 17, 2005
Somewhere, Overthere
Thanks!

Thanks for all the help!

I think I probably will end up replacing the eMac, bumping up the RAM on the iBook, and using the iBook just for any flights or car trips... stuff like that...

Or maybe I should just replace the iBook and bump up the eMac's RAM...

I'm really bad at making decisions... :eek: :rolleyes:

tristan

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2003
high-rise in beautiful bethesda
Yeah, buddy you are starving your computers of RAM. Starvin' Marvin'. With your older computers you should be running like 768 megs of RAM.

As to which to upgrade first - umm, why do you have two computers? SHouldn't you just have one fast laptop?

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
What do you use these computers for?

tfh1013 said:
OK... here's the deal...

Both of these computers are starting to show their age, especially the iBook.

The first question is:

"Why do you have two computers?"

Nothing wrong with havig two but the way you answer this question will help answer your question. If you said that you were a student or that you need the notebook to so you can work with clients in their ofice that the anwer is "brain dead easy" - get a MBP. If you use the computer to edit photos and video at home you'd be better off with a desktop. It shouldn't be surprizing that I'm saying that you should get something that fits your needs. It's just that none of use know what those are, until you tell us

turbopants

macrumors regular
Feb 11, 2006
Chicago
I'd sell both and get yourself one really nice computer that you really want. Sell one right now and use the other until you have enough saved up to get the one you really want. Then sell the other ,and you have money for extras for your new machine. My $0.02.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
tfh1013 said:
I'm really bad at making decisions...

Use a formal method. Get some paper and write down what you use the computers for, when and where. Make a log and include time (start and end) the software you use and other details. Once you have a representative amount of data then look at howthe logged computer usge would be different under two or three different upgrade scenarios.

For people who are bad at decisions, the key is to enforce some means of oganization to your thinking. It also helps to actually write down on apaper a goal. A desired end result. then think how each upgrade scenario compares to your stated goal. Be objective.

But this is not much fun. Why not go to an Apple store, close your eyes spin around three times then open you eyes and buy the first thing that catches your eye - use the credit card. This is pretty much what most people do.

tfh1013

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 17, 2005
Somewhere, Overthere
ChrisA said:
The first question is:

"Why do you have two computers?"

The reason I have two computers is because i needed to edit some video, but my external hardrive was getting full, and the iBook just couldn't handle 2 hours of video... I got this eMac from a friend who was getting a new computer. He needed to sell it, and I needed a faster computer so I bought it from him...

ITASOR

macrumors 601
Mar 20, 2005
Yeah, I would say, sell them both once something comes out that you like and get that (portable). I would say, get an external display and keyboard/mouse as well, so you can have a portable and desktop, and not even worry about transferring files or anything.

MacEffects

macrumors 6502
Apr 21, 2005
Darkspear
tfh1013 said:
OK... here's the deal...

Aging aye? Interesting, I suppose this means my iMac G3 700mhz, 768mb, 60gig, AirPort, Combo-Drive, are well aged :eek: well, this is ok, it will most likely end-up like my First Mac the Performa 6115cd (Bought in 1995 - and still being used) now it came stock, be in-order to be used now I had to pimp it out with a G3 500mhz, hacked 256mb, 20gig, CD-RW Drive, upgraded video AV Card, and 3 Raid Towers Fast SCSI 10 Hard Drives Each 15,000 RPM 9.1gig each... Great work group Server :D

tristan

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2003
high-rise in beautiful bethesda
Is the video editing app you use a universal binary yet? If not, your application speed may still be a disappointment.

Also, yes, I agree that you need one fast portable rather than two computers. Now's a lousy time to buy an Apple portable though because the MBP still doesn't have all the software support it needs, and the PBG4 is tough to recommend because it's the last of the mohicans. Still, for a long-term buy, the MBP would get the nod.

But also take one thing away from this experience - never, ever, ever, ever, ever, starve your computer of RAM. I would estimate that each of your two computers would be 2-3x faster with the addition of $80 worth of RAM. Yes, for 5% of the purchase price of your computer, you could have a 3x faster computer.

tfh1013

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 17, 2005
Somewhere, Overthere
OK... I know what I am going to do

This is the Plan of Action...
I am going to get a MacBook Pro/ new iBook/ MacBook

Then I am going to use my wireless keyboard and mouse, and get a 23" display.

Two Questions...

1) Can I keep the case of the MacBook Pro closed while running the computer on the Display???
2) I could use Mirroring on the MacBook Pro, but not a New iBook/MacBook... Right???

thanks!
-tfh1013

FFTT

macrumors 68030
Apr 17, 2004
A Stoned Throw From Ground Zero
The 17" Core Duo iMac with 2 GB of third party RAM gives you the best overall bang for the buck in a new Apple product.

This would run you $1299 (retail) plus about $200 for the extra RAM.

The current 12" G4 iBook refurbs are going for $799.00 and still plenty powerful for normal portable needs.

You could completely upgrade your system for both a workstation and great
portable for less than the price of a well equipped MBP.

You done well with affordable computing so far, so this seems to be the
best meaningful upgrade.

human657

macrumors newbie
Dec 2, 2005
another vote for the ibook/ imac combo

that 799 iBook will still get way better battery life and wireless reception than the macbook and will do everything you need a portable to do.
I too have an aging ibook 600 mhz, but I've maxed out the ram and put in an new battery. I figure I'll get an iMac and let the iBook be my portable until the new macbooks are on refurb (assuming they'll be at similar prices to the current refurbs). Yeah, the iBook will seem slow once I have the iMac, but I'll only use it when I need the thing its good for, portability. Plus I'll have all of my important data in two places, not jus one.

Deepdale

macrumors 68000
May 4, 2005
New York
tristan said:
IBut also take one thing away from this experience - never, ever, ever, ever, ever, starve your computer of RAM.

That is advice everyone should follow. A friend who was into computers and science in general once gave me a memorable analogy of memory to water, saying that it is as vital to a computer's functionality as water is to the survival of people. He was fond of reminding users that computers operating with inadequate memory will be transformed from H2GO into H2SLOW before your very eyes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.