Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tangerineyum

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 16, 2005
Ontario, CA
I bought this ibook in september, i also bought some iKlear to keep it looking nice and clean. But since December i have noticed that the places that my ibook is in contact with most are getting a slight pink tinge. I got paranoid, started washing my hands obsessively, making note of anything I could be touching that would transfer but i cant find anything.

Any one ever heard of this? Ive included two picture one light and one dark so that the pink really shows. It's on the keyboard and the case. iKlear and basic cleaning products have done nothing to make the tinge go away.

Attachments

• DSC03603.JPG
    DSC03603.JPG
    36.1 KB · Views: 249
  • DSC03605.JPG
    DSC03605.JPG
    35 KB · Views: 234

ITASOR

macrumors 601
Mar 20, 2005
You need to go by yourself a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser, which is a cleaning sponge and can be found at your local grocery store. Many stores have their own brand, but get Mr. Clean's.

Almost guarantee you it'll take it off if you rub hard enough. :)

EDIT: I don't know if I would use it on the trackpad though (button is ok), and go easy on the space bar, it could take the finish off and make it shiny. Don't do it hard on keyboard letters either.

On palm rests, rub as hard as you want, it's ok.

FocusAndEarnIt

macrumors 601
May 29, 2005
:eek:

I've used iKlear without a problem, and the magic clean eraser did a good job too.

How about a cheap pencil eraser? That works sometimes, and then use iKlear to get rid of the marks. :)

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
What is that red thing the iBook is sitting on top of? A lot of people have noted that the iBook plastic surface is a little porous and will trap dirt. The Magic Erasers *are* absolutely ace for this. But your iBook turning *pink* is seriously weird. There's no reason the dirt should be that color. Most people who've had this issue have blackish smudges.

So do you have anything that you use near it that is red or pink? If so, is it something washable, and can you wash it (in case it's bleeding dye)?

That way you don't have to constantly Magic Eraser it. :)

GITANAJAVA

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2006
Have ibrik, will travel.
Feeling Devilish

Or...you could just stop fighting the battle of the pink and surrender to it. Work with it: add holographic Hello Kitty stickers; have an artist friend complement the pink with an indelible design; add racing stripes and flames.

:eek:

tangerineyum

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 16, 2005
Ontario, CA
Thanks for all the replies everyone, the picture was taken on my comforter on my bed. Its a really old one and all the color has already bled out. And most of my bed linens are usually green or blue. When its not in my lap, my ibook is usually on a wooden side table, but its not like a cherry wood or anything, the color is closer to bamboo.

My room has very little red items in it, if anything you could find some old valentines, but nothing i would be touching so often that it caused that kind of discoloration. But I guess later today Im going to get that magic eraser and see if it *hopefully* does the job.

FocusAndEarnIt

macrumors 601
May 29, 2005
tangerineyum said:
Thanks for all the replies everyone, the picture was taken on my comforter on my bed. Its a really old one and all the color has already bled out. And most of my bed linens are usually green or blue. When its not in my lap, my ibook is usually on a wooden side table, but its not like a cherry wood or anything, the color is closer to bamboo.

My room has very little red items in it, if anything you could find some old valentines, but nothing i would be touching so often that it caused that kind of discoloration. But I guess later today Im going to get that magic eraser and see if it *hopefully* does the job.
:eek: I see it's on your keys!

Is someone else using the computer? :eek:

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
GITANAJAVA said:
Or...you could just stop fighting the battle of the pink and surrender to it. Work with it: add holographic Hello Kitty stickers

Mmm, this sounds shockingly like *my* pink iBook. :eek: ;) :D

To the OP...wow... that's strange...where is the pink coming from? :eek: There are some bacteria that create pink residue, I think...but that seems hard to believe. :(

tangerineyum

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 16, 2005
Ontario, CA
lilstewart92 said:
:eek: I see it's on your keys!

Is someone else using the computer? :eek:

nope, im an only child and everyone else in the house has their own mac to play with, and i think if it was some one else, i would notice some pink on the emac keyboard or the other ibook in the house. this is so weird.:confused:

GITANAJAVA

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2006
Have ibrik, will travel.
mkrishnan said:
Mmm, this sounds shockingly like *my* pink iBook. :eek: ;) :D

To the OP...wow... that's strange...where is the pink coming from? :eek: There are some bacteria that create pink residue, I think...but that seems hard to believe. :(

Perhaps, the deadly red tide has moved inland? Call out the marine biologists!

ITASOR

macrumors 601
Mar 20, 2005
slooksterPSV said:
His is turning pink, mine is turning black, and its where my arms rest on my iBook

So was mine, but Mr. Clean fixes it up once a week (Sunday afternoon's). :D

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
I seem to remember that the Cat in the Hat left a pink ring on the tub when he took a bath, and attempts to clean it got pink stuff everywhere else. Is there any possible connection?

dvdh

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2004
About 2 weeks after I got my ibook, I noticed that the edges were turning yellow. I got suspicious of the my targus bag (which is black) and started to put my ibook in a piece of white cloth inside the case. It solved the problem, so it seems it was ink from the dye the case staining the plastic.

So that brings me to your problem. You haven't bought a red shirt recently have you?

sk1985

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2006
Do you frequently use lotions? Some have dyes in them that can stain plastics and other surfaces. I'd personally check that out (also some dyes in soaps could mildly stain your hands and rub off on your iBook). I really could see these two products being your problem.

Chuckles

macrumors member
Jan 25, 2006
Or...

Your hand has been somewhere it shouldn't be, at a time it really shouldn't be. :eek:

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
iMeowbot said:
I seem to remember that the Cat in the Hat left a pink ring on the tub when he took a bath, and attempts to clean it got pink stuff everywhere else. Is there any possible connection?

Yes, clear and conclusive proof that April 1 will bring a widescreen Intel iBook. And it won't be pink. And Steve Jobs will ride a unicycle. And there will be .

Peyton

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2006
I'd say you need to find a new place to apply your nail polish or its only going to get worse. And using the iBook's heat to dry them is not smart okay?

problem solved. :cool: onto my next mystery

FocusAndEarnIt

macrumors 601
May 29, 2005
Peyton said:
I'd say you need to find a new place to apply your nail polish or its only going to get worse. And using the iBook's heat to dry them is not smart okay?

problem solved. :cool: onto my next mystery
You guys need to... shut up. :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.