Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

watchmainspring

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 2, 2005
Boston
What's the best 15'' apple case?

My hope is for something:

1. Very Very Protective
2. Not so large that it cannot fit into my school backpack

T-Stex

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2006
Pennsylvania
If you're looking for something really protective, I'd check out some products by Axio. Their Hardsleeves (under Laptop Cases on the website) look to be pretty slim, and extremely protective. If you're not looking for something that extreme, check out Booq. They make really great stuff, and their line of Vyper sleeves are great (and they've got one for the MacBook Pro). Hope this helps, and good luck with your search.

sethypoo

macrumors 68000
Oct 8, 2003
Sacramento, CA, USA
Mareware's Sportfolio Sleeves would be best for you. I bought one for my girlfriend's 15" PB and she loves it. It offers great edge protection while being thin enough to easily slide into her backpack.

watchmainspring

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 2, 2005
Boston
sethypoo said:
Mareware's Sportfolio Sleeves would be best for you. I bought one for my girlfriend's 15" PB and she loves it. It offers great edge protection while being thin enough to easily slide into her backpack.

I think I need something harder.

booq's viper m2 doesnt ship until march and may, and the axio plastic case doesnt ship until may....

that sux, they both seem absolutely perfect.

I supposed I can use a transitional case until then.

Any other suggestions?

sethypoo

macrumors 68000
Oct 8, 2003
Sacramento, CA, USA
Harder? Wow, do you throw your backpack around a lot or something?;) :D

The Marware case has hard plastic wrapped in neoprene around all the edges so when your MacBook Pro is in your backpack and you set it down roughly, the edges of your MacBook are protected from damage. My gf has told me time and time again how much she likes this feature; it especially comes in handy when she sets her backpack down on a park bench. The hard plastic keeps rivets like the ones found on park benches from denting your laptop.

I can't recommend these cases enough. A "harder" case won't protect your laptop in a backpack any more than the Marware or any other softsided case will. When you set down your backpack, only the bottom edge of your laptop case will come in contact with that surface.

Also, a harder case will be extremely thick and take up lots of room in your backpack.

watchmainspring

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 2, 2005
Boston
sethypoo said:
When you set down your backpack, only the bottom edge of your laptop case will come in contact with that surface.

What do you mean, is there a gap in plastic protection, where it is only cloth protecting the macbook?

How thick would you say that this plastic is? Also, does the plastic incase the entire sleave or just some parts?

This sounds like a good buy....

sethypoo

macrumors 68000
Oct 8, 2003
Sacramento, CA, USA
Winstonp said:
What do you mean, is there a gap in plastic protection, where it is only cloth protecting the macbook?

How thick would you say that this plastic is? Also, does the plastic incase the entire sleave or just some parts?

This sounds like a good buy....

There's no gap in the plastic protection around the edges of the case. When you slide your MacBook into your backpack while in the Marware case, your MacBook will sit vertically. The Marware case has a plastic bar wraped in neoprene (for cushioning) that goes all the way around the edge of the case. So, when your laptop is sitting in your backpack, only the edge with the neoprene and plastic will come in contact with the ground when you set your backpack down.

The plasic is thick enough to prevent any dents to the side of your MacBook Pro. And yes, it is a really good buy.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
If anyone wants max protection in minimum bulk, try Tom Bihn's Brain Cell, a semi-rigid padded sleeve which has a new size just for MacBook Pro. There's a vertical version and a horizontal version. I think both have handles, but the horizontal adds a stretchy pouch for the power supply or whatever. I've used early versions in the past, and they look to have improved since then too. The hard sides and a nice big cushion on the bottom edge give you drop protection you don't expect from a compact sleeve.

watchmainspring

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 2, 2005
Boston
sethypoo said:
2.1" thick?!?!

Good Lord, that just about negates the thinness of a MacBook Pro! That case is butt ugly.....but at least the simple elegance of your MacBook should help cancel that out too.

Definatly not the choice I would have made.:(

2.1-1=1.1

1.1/2= .55 inches of "stuff" between the MBP and the world.

Doesn't seem bad to me.

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
Winstonp said:
booq's viper m2 doesnt ship until march and may, and the axio plastic case doesnt ship until may....

With the delays that are cropping up for UK orders, you might still get it sooner than an MBP. :p

CoMpX

macrumors 65816
Jun 29, 2005
New Jersey
I just got this, and it says it will fit up to a 15" book. Just check the dimensions of the MacBook to make sure. The padding is built right into the backpack, but I don't know if it's enough protection for you. Check it out.

Bunsen Burner

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2006
hearudude said:
I am awaiting the 1.83 GHZ unit and I have used this sleeve before with my PBs.
Nothing even comes close to it in terms of protection.
http://shinza.com/product_info.php?products_id=46&osCsid=655437af7dbeb13d9b7a21387f9ec62c
Judging by the the dimensions,I think my Axio hard shell will fit it fine.
14.1 x 9.6 x 1 inch.
Its quite an investment,so it should be protected really well.
hearudude

The STM Rebounds are the original, and still best, high density/ high resistance polyurethane foam sleeves. Fit like a glove. Always have. The MacBook Pro model is due any day...

BB

hearudude

macrumors newbie
Feb 10, 2006
NY State
I would still take the Zeroshock over the rebound.

I think its safer than a polyurethane case.
Plus hate the feel of polyurethane!
Just my 2 cents.
hearudude

bella92108

macrumors 68000
Mar 1, 2006
Tucano, the maker of the Neoprene case will be shipping their Neoprene "Second Skin" product in two weeks. I called Italy where they make them and I got the info. The problem is this people... if you're using one of the form-fit cases, the Powerbook cases DON'T fit... it's not so much a thickness issue, it's the width... the zipper will scratch cause it fits too tight... it's just not ideal, but Tucano will be shipping theirs in two weeks... You can get them for like $20 at frys electronics or online at http://www.outpost.com just MAKE SURE it's the one that says MACBOOK PRO!!! This thread is full of idiots saying it's the same as the powerbook, clearly they don't have their macbook pro yet, lol.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.