Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SamIchi

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 1, 2004
Anyone?

I hate static on my clothes, very uncomfortable. It also has a wierd smell that I don't like either.

SamIchi

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 1, 2004
stonyc said:
No idea... ozone? Maybe your sweaters are dirty or just stinky? :D

Are you questioning my cleanliness? It's not a dirty smell nor stinky. Comb you hair a few times then smell it, or rub a balloon on a sweater or hair and take a whiff. You'll see what I'm talkin bout.

Kingsly

macrumors 68040
Simple. The positively charged ions attract the ozone in the upper troposphere which, on their way down, bind with the heavier CFC's that people spew out of their spray deodorant cans. Once they reach sea level the ozone is completely broken down into two highly unstable parts. The negatively charged half binds with the statically charged item and the positive side is attracted to latex paint, particularly mint green, and breaks down further into protons and electrons that proceed to do absolutely nothing because I have know idea what I'm talking about.

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
High voltage converts O2 to O3 (ozone). In the higher levels of the atmosphere, Ozone is a handy molecule, acting to bounce a lot of the UV radiation from the sun back into space. At lower levels it acts as a dangerous pollutant present in car exhaust, around power stations etc. It's a greenhouse gas down here at ground level and one of the components of smog.

The smell could simply be from what you use when you wash/dry your clothes. Try changing washing liquid/softeners. OR it could be ozone production from the high voltage in the static.

I'm not a big boffin on electricity terms so "voltage" might be the wrong term but you know what I mean.

gauchogolfer

macrumors 603
Jan 28, 2005
American Riviera
You were pretty close, Chundles :)

The oxygen is broken down by high electric fields. Electric fields are measured in voltage drop divided by distance, not just voltage. Higher fields drop a large voltage over a short distance, and vice versa.

rockthecasbah

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2005
Moorestown, NJ
static is fun to play with. Take velex blankets, run em all around, make the room completely dark, wiggle them apart, and watch the fireworks! (it gives a minor "static" scent for me..)

Is this really how i must amuse myself :rolleyes:

cyberddot

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2003
in a forest
Chundles said:
High voltage converts O2 to O3 (ozone). In the higher levels of the atmosphere, Ozone is a handy molecule, acting to bounce a lot of the UV radiation from the sun back into space. At lower levels it acts as a dangerous pollutant present in car exhaust, around power stations etc. It's a greenhouse gas down here at ground level and one of the components of smog.<snip>

I vote Ozone.

BTW, ozone can also be used as a sterilizer, and is used to sterilize water, laundry, medical instruments, etc, etc. It's used to clean water that aquatic animals live in too, though for all of these applications it's metered out with special equipment.

Your nose has just been sterilized.

Felldownthewell

macrumors 65816
Feb 10, 2006
Portland
I smell the smell too. It is not a smell like an oh-I haven't washed my clothes in a week-smell or an oh-theres-that-burrito-i-had-for-lunch-smell, but there is a distinct static smell. Nothing to do with washing powder or anything, it just is. It probably is ozone, however i only have an 80% in chemistry so I really have no idea.

AliensAreFuzzy

macrumors 68000
May 30, 2004
Madison, WI
Yeah, definately ozone. Right now we're working on a tesla coil in my phyics class and after we run it for a minute, the entire place smells of ozone. It smells pretty good in moderation, but this just stinks.

Bubbasteve

macrumors 65816
Dec 23, 2004
Charleston, IL
Kingsly said:
Simple. The positively charged ions attract the ozone in the upper troposphere which, on their way down, bind with the heavier CFC's that people spew out of their spray deodorant cans. Once they reach sea level the ozone is completely broken down into two highly unstable parts. The negatively charged half binds with the statically charged item and the positive side is attracted to latex paint, particularly mint green, and breaks down further into protons and electrons that proceed to do absolutely nothing because I have know idea what I'm talking about.
Man that was funny

I know what you mean about the smell, but I dunno why it smells.

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
Felldownthewell said:
I smell the smell too. It is not a smell like an oh-I haven't washed my clothes in a week-smell or an oh-theres-that-burrito-i-had-for-lunch-smell, but there is a distinct static smell. Nothing to do with washing powder or anything, it just is. It probably is ozone, however i only have an 80% in chemistry so I really have no idea.

If you had an 80% in Chemistry down here you'd know what you were talking about. Bloody tough work to get 80% in any Uni/High School courses here. A passing mark is 50% which represents that you satisfy the requirements of the course and are untroubled by most questions.

Pittsax

macrumors 6502
Dec 8, 2004
Toronto, Ontario
It's definitely ozone. It's the same thing that you smell sometimes after a strong lightning storm (for the same reasons too, since all lightning is is big-time static electricity)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.