Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

derekamoss

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 18, 2002
Houston, TX
I recently got a reciever and speakers for my room and was planning on hooking the eMac up to them. I went out and bought the A/V cables to hook into the reciever but i keep getting a hum, am i not able to use these cables? Anyone know how to fix it?

cjw

macrumors newbie
Dec 6, 2001
Illinois, USA
Make sure:
You have line out on the computer, not headphones or speaker
You have it going with a stereo (TRS) 1/8 inch plug to two RCA plugs
The RCA plugs go into a line level input on the receiver (not phono)
Your cables are no longer than about 10 feet (longer than that and you should balance them for which you would need pro gear)
Your gain (volume) is not turned too high (switch to the appropriate input with the volume on infinity or zero and, with something being output from the computer, slowly bring it up until it sounds right).
Other than that, I don't know. I use a Power Mac G4 and I don't know how good the eMac line out quality is-and besides that I have a pro sound card so it wouldn't matter. Good luck.

Buggy

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2001
Canada
Are your cables going beside any electronic equipement that would be interferring with your signals?

Since you are running unbalanced, non shielded cables you are suseptable to interferance.

I have an iMac hooked up to an Amp exactly how you suggest (with a few other connections inbetween... mixer board, patch panel) and it works fine. Yours should be just fine as well.

Also double check your cables.. did you buy a 1/8 stereo to a right and left RCA or did you get a 1/8 mono with a y spilt?

You need the first one. Also test the cable by plugging it into a discman or walkman and test to see if the cable was manufactuered correctly.

I don't think the problem is with your computer.

good luck

razorme

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2002
Calgary, AB
I think you might get a hum if the amp and the computer are plugged into different electrical circuits. Try plugging them both into the same outlet and see if the problem goes away..

derekamoss

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 18, 2002
Houston, TX
The only thing is that the cables say that I can only use it on iBooks. I noticed this after I bought it. Am I still able to use it?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.