Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

princealfie

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Mar 7, 2006
Salt Lake City UT
I have a 300mhz Rev. 2 tangerine iBook and I hooked up a 3G ipod and a ROKR and it will work as a hard drive but itunes doesn't identify the machine through the usb port.

I presume that there is some incomptability? I don't really see what is up with that?

aquajet

macrumors 68020
Feb 12, 2005
VA
I assume you're connecting via USB? I don't think the 300mhz ibook has firewire...

It should work without any problems. What version of OS X and iTunes are you using?

bbarnhart

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2002
The problem you're having is with the USB port on the iBook. It needs to be USB 2.0 and not 1.0 (or 1.1). If you had a FireWire port, it would work. Does this machine have a FireWire port?

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
Is it windows formated ?

A Windows formatted ipod will look like a hard disk (icon) on the desktop, but iTunes should still be able to use it. Make sure you are running the latest version of iTunes, and that you have a recently updated iPod.

FWIW
My 3G ipod will mount to my iBook G4, PM G3, and PM G5 Via USB but will NOT charge.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.