Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ilovemyibook

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 19, 2006
My brother and i got ibooks. They are the same age and we have the same stats. 512 mb of ram, 80 gig hard-drive, 1.33 mght proccesor. Before we could play DVDs on it but now we get an error message. I don't know what happened, i think that it was an update that messed it up. Does anybody else have this problem.

GimmeSlack12

macrumors 603
Apr 29, 2005
San Francisco
ilovemyibook said:
Before we could play DVDs on it but now we get an error message. I don't know what happened, i think that it was an update that messed it up. Does anybody else have this problem.
Ok, welcome to the forums, and I'm sure you're happy with you new iBook, but one thread at a time about problems.

With that said, the DVD problem will require more information. What program are you using, what does the error message say. Does it happen on both iBooks?

ilovemyibook

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 19, 2006
By saying it is new i mean i got in November of 05. I use DVD Player. It worked before and one night my brother said DVD's didn't play on his computer. so i put in a DVD and it didn't play. My mac reads CD's fine, i put in my OS X disc and it read it. it is the strangest thing i have ever seen.

GimmeSlack12

macrumors 603
Apr 29, 2005
San Francisco
ilovemyibook said:
By saying it is new i mean i got in November of 05. I use DVD Player. It worked before and one night my brother said DVD's didn't play on his computer. so i put in a DVD and it didn't play. My mac reads CD's fine, i put in my OS X disc and it read it. it is the strangest thing i have ever seen.
What does the error say??? Have you tried several DVD's?

I'll be preemptive to say go download VLC from http://www.versiontracker.com it's a better program than DVD Player IMO.

ilovemyibook

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 19, 2006
I Went To The Apple Store, And They Said It Was Software Problems. They Told Me To Put The OS X Disc In And Re-Install It. It Worked.

GimmeSlack12

macrumors 603
Apr 29, 2005
San Francisco
ilovemyibook said:
I Went To The Apple Store, And They Said It Was Software Problems. They Told Me To Put The OS X Disc In And Re-Install It. It Worked.
You reinstalled the entire OS? I am hearing that advice more and more these days, and I don't get it.

Although from the perspective of a new Mac user, I don't blame you for taking the advice of the Macstore guys. But for Macs a reinstall of the OS is usually a bit extreme IMO. Either way, good to hear it's working again.

Shamus

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2006
GimmeSlack12 said:
You reinstalled the entire OS? I am hearing that advice more and more these days, and I don't get it.

It reminds me of when I had a Windows machine. :p

laidbackliam

macrumors 6502
Feb 1, 2006
Rokem said:
I rember`when i didn't have a mac (wow scary thought), I could tell you where the reinstall disk was at all times off the top of my head.

on my last desktop, i taped a paper cd sleeve to the side of the computer, that had my xp disc in it.

i don't miss that computer

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.