Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

direzz

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 12, 2006
just bought an ipod video 30 gb... installed everything... then it would not shut down.. whenever i pressed the play button.. so i went to ipod updater... restored factory settings.. my computer freezess... now the ipod is froze,... un pligged with the do not disconnect thing... i tryed holding down the center and menu button to reset it but nothing happend. please, please help me.. im so frustrated and upset that i may have spent 500 bucks on a piece of junk.

iSaint

macrumors 603
First of all, I hope you didn't spend $500 on a 30 gig 5G iPod. They're $299 at the Apple Store Online, $269 with education discount.

It sounds like you've followed all instructions on the Apple support site. You need a power adapter to plug the iPod directly into the wall to reset it that way. If you have an old iPod adapter laying around, you're in luck.

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
iSaint said:
First of all, I hope you didn't spend $500 on a 30 gig 5G iPod. They're $299 at the Apple Store Online, $269 with education discount.

It sounds like you've followed all instructions on the Apple support site. You need a power adapter to plug the iPod directly into the wall to reset it that way. If you have an old iPod adapter laying around, you're in luck.

First of all, he may not live in the US. Here, a 30GB iPod is $449.

You do not need to plug in any iPod that did not come with a power adapter pre-packaged.

Direzz, firstly, please stop using the ..., it's making your posts difficult to understand, please use full stops or commas.

To answer your question, try letting the battery run right down till it has to turn itself off. Then plug it back into your computer and let it charge. Once the battery is full again, see if the problems persist. If they do, try the reset - if that doesn't fix it try the restore option with the iPod Updater software. If that doesn't fix it, take it back to where you got it or call Apple and see if they can get a replacement to you.

direzz

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 12, 2006
thanks for everyones help.. nothing seems to work... so im bringing it back today to get another one.

lamina

macrumors 68000
Mar 9, 2006
Niagara
direzz said:
thanks for everyones help.. nothing seems to work... so im bringing it back today to get another one.

Every single 5th gen iPod I have seen has this problem.

Wait until the hard drive is finished spinning (if you put your ear to it you can hear it) and it will let you sleep it. For some reason, it doesn't want to sleep while the hard drive is spinning.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.