Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rye9

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 20, 2005
New York (not NYC)
What does Pod mean in iPod? I understand iMac is for Mac, iBook is for book(notebook), iTunes... tunes, etc...but not iPod.

rye9

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 20, 2005
New York (not NYC)
zap2 said:
it's a pod for holding music, photos, Vids and Personal info

Oh, OK. I was gonna guess something like it stood for Personal something Device. I couldnt figure out something for "O". :D

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
It's a reference to Apple's dream that, in the future, people will live encased in pods, doing nothing but listening to digital music and surfing the web on pristine computers, all day long, for every day of their lives. Never, ever, seeing the outside light.

oculas_homeoculas_bot.jpg

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
mkrishnan said:
It's a reference to Apple's dream that, in the future, people will live encased in pods, doing nothing but listening to digital music and surfing the web on pristine computers, all day long, for every day of their lives. Never, ever, seeing the outside light.

Oh man, that sounds nice ;)

Mord

macrumors G4
Aug 24, 2003
UK
i have one many times bigger with a pc a g4 cube and my ibook, it's called my room. :rolleyes:

cycocelica

macrumors 68000
Apr 28, 2005
Redmond, WA
mkrishnan said:

Sounds like an easy life.

MattyMac

macrumors 68000
Oct 6, 2005
NJ/NYC
mkrishnan said:

now that is just plain scary

CoMpX

macrumors 65816
Jun 29, 2005
New Jersey
mkrishnan said:

picture

What is this called? I wanna Google it.

DevilDog

macrumors regular
Dec 12, 2005
Ohio
OMG nobody even checked Dictionary??? Shame...

"a detachable or self-contained unit on an aircraft, spacecraft, vehicle, or vessel, having a particular function"

This one is less accurate though:

an elongated seed vessel of a leguminous plant such as the pea [or apple], splitting open on both sides when ripe. <???(maybe that's a hint for future iPods....)

exeterbohemian

macrumors regular
Jan 10, 2006
brooklyn
ipod is a self-contained enclosure that plays music, etc. think of it like as in agriculture. peas grow in pods. one pod contains multiple peas. now imagine your music, videos, pictures, etc. are all peas. and you can keep them all together in a single 'pod'. hence, ipod. as far as the 'i' is concerned, i attribute that to just being apple's moniker.

neocell

macrumors 65816
May 23, 2005
Great White North
Pod: a structure in which the contents grow, mature, evolve into something new, and usually greater, than whence it came

Seems appropriate enough

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.