Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mystixman

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 11, 2002
USA
You would think Apple would add FW800 to more than just the PowerBooks. I know iMac revisions are implied, so if anything, FW800 will be added. That means that iPods will be revised as well.

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
FW 800 is not badly needed, indeed it has no practical applications yet. I'd imagine they'll be introducing it very slowly, perhaps including it on normal revisions over the next year... it certainly doesn't require revisions of it's own... As for the iMac, which is rumored to have an upcoming revision, i don't know if there's signifigant cost involved in adding it, so i really can't speculate on whether or not it will include it. There's no real reason to delay adding it, either, since Apple is trying to show that it's a true up and coming standard...

:)
pnw

zarathustra

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2002
Boston
It has been posted many times already that the iPod will not likely get a FW800 upgrade, simply because the drive is not fast enough. I agree with paul, that they will slowly upgrade/remove the FW400 ports.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
If they're going to upgrade every machine, they need a good business reason.

I would imagine that they're soliciting partners to use FW800 (or higher) in their digital video equipment right now. Until that equipment starts to flow, there's little reason to deploy it to all of their machines.

alset

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2002
East Bay, CA
Upgrades will come along as third-party companies manufacture devices that have 800 compatibility. USB 2 has a strong hold, so this will take a bit of time. Never fear! Apple created a market for USB 1 and old-school FireWire. I'm sure many remember that fiasco.

Dan

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.