Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

princealfie

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Mar 7, 2006
Salt Lake City UT
What is the max number of hard drives that can be installed in a powermac beige g3? I think the rev. A one only gets 1 while the other later versions get up to 4 hard drives? Theoretically I would be sticking in about a 120 or 250 GB Hard drive if I can figure out how to overcome the 128 GB hard drive limit?

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
princealfie said:
What is the max number of hard drives that can be installed in a powermac beige g3? I think the rev. A one only gets 1 while the other later versions get up to 4 hard drives? Theoretically I would be sticking in about a 120 or 250 GB Hard drive if I can figure out how to overcome the 128 GB hard drive limit?

I had three in mine, it was one of the later ones. I think that's the maximum, the fourth "slot" is used by the CD drive so you could put in four if you gave up the optical. There is also a size limit of 120 gigs, I tried installing a bigger one and ended up having to put it in a FW case.

princealfie

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Mar 7, 2006
Salt Lake City UT
I guess that I can install the hi-cap tech driver after I install the mac os x operating system? I have a 200 gb hard drive in my blue and white g3 and it only has the 128 gb limit. So the rest of the sectors will show up after I install this program on?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.