Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yoshiii

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 13, 2006
Hello I got an old IMac G3 233MHz super cheap and was wondering if I could take out the video card and exchange with another one, a better one more preferabaly. I have a friend who said he thought he saw somewhere that you could do that.
Any know if it can be done?

Help

tidymeup

macrumors newbie
Jan 25, 2006
Macclesfield, Cheshire
Hi,

No experience of messing with the old imac's but the video card is not seperate but part fo the logic board as far as I am ware. It would be like trying to swap the card out in mac mini! ..

California

macrumors 68040
Aug 21, 2004
All you can do is find one of those old Sonnet or Daystar CPU upgrades. There is a Sonnet upgrade for the 233mhz that also adds firewire.

MIDI_EVIL

macrumors 65816
Jan 23, 2006
UK
You can't do it, it's part of the logic board, and i'm pretty sure noone makes logic boards for the 233 and also, it wouldn't be very cost effective.

Rich.

eXan

macrumors 601
Jan 10, 2005
Russia
I have once read an article in the MACup magazine about upgrading 233 MHz iMac. They said the video card is upgradable (its PCI)

yoshiii

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 13, 2006
eXan said:
I have once read an article in the MACup magazine about upgrading 233 MHz iMac. They said the video card is upgradable (its PCI)

How long ago was this?

Maxwell Smart

macrumors 6502a
Jan 29, 2006
The only way to upgrade it is to add a proprietary VRAM chip IIRC, it has 2MB by default which can be upgraded to 6MB with a 4MB stick. I may have my facts wrong though.

yoshiii

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 13, 2006
Maxwell Smart said:
The only way to upgrade it is to add a proprietary VRAM chip IIRC, it has 2MB by default which can be upgraded to 6MB with a 4MB stick. I may have my facts wrong though.

Where would I get that chip from?

Help

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.