Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Grokgod

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Hey all,
I was comtemplating the new Alubooks and thinking of selling my prestine 800.

Yet, I am worried about the new CPU and its ratio of heat and FAN time.

The greatest thing about the 800 was the fact that FAN time is LOW.

Rarely comes on and if it does it isnt loud.

Now, I have yet to see or hear a 1 giger in action. Has anyone here heard or worked on one and noticed if there are any differences in fan use, time or loudness.

Also, is there any difference tween the new 17" CPU and the older in the 15" Ti.

This would be the mitigating factor in buying a new Powerbook. I don't think that the extra inches in size for the ALubook will be that painful or shocking except in the worlds of PhotoShop Palette joy!

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
If i remember my chemestry class at all, aluminum conducts heat very well. Titanium not so much, so either we'll see better heat dispersal, or a lot of blistered ...laps...

pnw

Grokgod

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Blistered laps?!

Well that certianly doesnt sound very good!

Is there anyone out there that was at Macworld and noticed if the 17" had more fans or the same. I havent heard much information on the 1 giger 15" cpu and fans either anyone have any information on this?

ryme4reson

macrumors 6502
Mar 5, 2002
Cupertino CA
THe AluBooks are much cooler than the 800

I was @ MacWorld, and they are much better in cooling than the current TiBooks, but I dont remember hearing the fans, so I cannot comment on that.

Also, Grokgod, if you are gonna sell your 800, email me @ jamesk777@mac.com Thanks

OSeXy!

macrumors regular
Jan 17, 2002
London (or virtually here)
I can see the point of selling your Ti while it still has good resale value. But if money is not the issue (that'd be nice!) I'd wait for rev.B of the AlBooks - they usually catch the major new design issues then. Oh, he11. Just get the 17"- it's so cool in other ways. (The MWSF reviewer at arstechnica thought it ran quite cool - compared to the 12". But that's hardly a scientific test.)

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
Re: New Alupowerbook 1 giger cpu VS Ti 800?

Originally posted by Grokgod
Hey all,
I was comtemplating the new Alubooks and thinking of selling my prestine 800.

Yet, I am worried about the new CPU and its ratio of heat and FAN time.

The greatest thing about the 800 was the fact that FAN time is LOW.

Rarely comes on and if it does it isnt loud.

Now, I have yet to see or hear a 1 giger in action. Has anyone here heard or worked on one and noticed if there are any differences in fan use, time or loudness.

Also, is there any difference tween the new 17" CPU and the older in the 15" Ti.

This would be the mitigating factor in buying a new Powerbook. I don't think that the extra inches in size for the ALubook will be that painful or shocking except in the worlds of PhotoShop Palette joy!
i read a thread about someone who played with one at macworld, he said they didnt get hot at all, even doing lots of stuff.

iJon

alset

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2002
East Bay, CA
Aluminum is more likely to warp as a result of heat. This is surely something Apple has taken into consideration. Does anyone know how they are keeping it so chill?

Dan

ELYXR

macrumors regular
Dec 2, 2002
Seattle
Originally posted by OSeXy!
I can see the point of selling your Ti while it still has good resale value. But if money is not the issue (that'd be nice!) I'd wait for rev.B of the AlBooks - they usually catch the major new design issues then. Oh, he11. Just get the 17"- it's so cool in other ways. (The MWSF reviewer at arstechnica thought it ran quite cool - compared to the 12". But that's hardly a scientific test.)

I doubt the TiBooks will lose that much value after the Aluminum Powerbooks are released ... all Mac's retain their value better than any computer in the world. Find a Pismo on eBay... or better, a 400Mhz TiBook still sells for over $1000 usually. That's with 8MB of video RAM too.

gernb

macrumors regular
Jun 6, 2002
Originally posted by ELYXR

or better, a 400Mhz TiBook still sells for over $1000 usually. That's with 8MB of video RAM too.

Let me just tell you that the crappy video card in my 400 mhz TiBook makes it more or less useless for presenting. I'm a shareholder, and I love Apple, but putting that piece of sh*t video card in that computer was an absolute rush to market. 2 years later, i'm still wishing i had waited. oh well, at least work bought that computer. at least i didn't waste my money on it.

primalman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2002
at the end of the hall
Alumnimum may or may nor get hotter...

Originally posted by paulwhannel
If i remember my chemestry class at all, aluminum conducts heat very well. Titanium not so much, so either we'll see better heat dispersal, or a lot of blistered ...laps...

pnw

Alumninum is a better conducter of heat than steel, titatium, stainless...almost all metals except copper. This is why you see stainless steel pots and pans, such as All-Clad and Calphanon, with aluminum cores within a sandwich of stainless or anodized metal. Or copper cores and bottoms.

This makes me think that the AlBook will either be a] hotter, due to the fact that the alumninum is dragging the heat from the inside so well, or b] cooler or the same as the Tibook, since it is dragging out the heat so well, dispersing it more quickly.

Did that make sense???:confused:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.