Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TitanJeff

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 20, 2004
My 15" Powerbook Super Drive is giving up the ghost. I would like to stick with an 80G but would like something a little more reliable than the factory model I got with my Powerbook which is just 2 1/2 years old.

Anyone have a link to reviews or have a recommendation for what I might for? I will be taking to a shop so would like to have some suggestions before I leave my PB.

Thanks!

TitanJeff

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 20, 2004
Sorry for the confusion. It is the hard drive. It is for a 15" PB SD.

It grinds and sounds like it wants out. I felt lucky to get the thing backed up in time. I had to hold the PB at 45 degrees and angled forward just to get it to stop the grind.

Passante

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2004
on the sofa
Not to hijack this thread but my HD in my 12 inch PB is making intermittent noises and may have to be replaced. Could forum members recommend where to have the HD replaced. is Apple a good option. I noted that there are a few vendors that do service by mail.

TitanJeff

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 20, 2004
Anyone? The repair shop will call me today asking for what I want. Any recommendations appreciated.

Passante

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2004
on the sofa
TitanJeff said:
My 15" Powerbook Super Drive is giving up the ghost. I would like to stick with an 80G but would like something a little more reliable than the factory model I got with my Powerbook which is just 2 1/2 years old.

Anyone have a link to reviews or have a recommendation for what I might for? I will be taking to a shop so would like to have some suggestions before I leave my PB.

Thanks!

TitanJeff

From all I read just stay away from Toshiba. Hatachi and Western Digital get good comments.

Good luck with the repairs

TitanJeff

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 20, 2004
Passante said:
TitanJeff

From all I read just stay away from Toshiba. Hatachi and Western Digital get good comments.

Good luck with the repairs
Thank you. Western Digital is the one they recommended. And I am upgrading some ram as well. Then they asked me if I was hearing three beeps when I booted the PB. I told them no. He said I needed a new logic board and that they would put me in a new one at no cost since they apparently did something to damage mine.

I was shocked to hear this. Is it common to have an Apple Authorized repair service mess up a logic board switching out a HD or adding RAM? I thought bad RAM would cause those beeps but he seems sure it was the logic board.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.