Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

i4k20c

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 10, 2005
Okay, so i want to have a wireless powerbook, by that i mean i don't want wires attached to it, so my question is this..

If i have Logitech Speakers, some Printer, and ethernet connection is comming out of the wall..

can i plug all of these things into the Airport Express, keeping in mind that nothing is plugged into my powerbook.. so the printer, speaker, and ethernet are plugged ONLY into the airport express, and obviously a power outlet.. will i be able to stream itunes music and listen to it and print wireless?

the only things i want plugged into my powerbook are my powercord, monitor atachment, and mouse..

thank you =)

joshysquashy

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2005
UK
skoker said:
Why not get a wireless mouse?

I second that for truly wireless life!

Only other connection I have is kingston lock because I am at uni, but its not so bad cuz its white!!!

oh, and some printers dont work perfect with ae. my cannon pixma 4000 struggles with large files - stops half way through!

khisayruou

macrumors 6502a
Aug 21, 2004
Wireless?!?! But your not going to be able to watch movies/videos!
How about a bluetooth mouse.

i4k20c

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 10, 2005
Hmm as for the bluetooth mouse, problem is a close friend who knows i am a gadget geek bought me a logitech mx1000, it doesn't look so clean with the usb plugged in, but it is a very good mouse! so idk about that unfortunatly..:eek:

i will be getting a bluetooth apple keyboard tho! if anyone has any suggestions on printers or some all in ones that are known to work flawless with the airport express, please post the models? I'm looking for something fairly cheap, don't need top of the line, but something that will also last! :)

i4k20c

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 10, 2005
mad jew said:
Yeah. That's what they're made for. :cool:

Remember that the Express will only stream iTunes music by default. :)

wait, so can i change it to steam music not purchased through itunes? :confused:

i4k20c

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 10, 2005
khisayruou said:
Wireless?!?! But your not going to be able to watch movies/videos!
How about a bluetooth mouse.

if your talking about not being able to watch videos by the speakers.. i have a xbox and a tv for that, sadly i hardly use the xbox to play games, spents most of its time playing dvd's! lol :)

khisayruou

macrumors 6502a
Aug 21, 2004
Hmmm...sounds like your all set then...you definitely got this all mapped out, now youve got me thinking about re-doing what I have! One thing that bugs me though is that it seems like airfoil has to be told which program to transmit sounds from. Can it just transmit all sounds from all supported applications?!?

Josias

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2006
You said you had monitor, mosue, kingston security and power attached to the powerbook. If you want it completley wirelessly, you could get a wireless mouse, and if app,e makes this new video streaming air tunes @ april 1st, you might be able to use that for the screen. Power can not be wireless, and the thieves might not discover the security cable if it's wireless.:p

i4k20c

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 10, 2005
Josias said:
You said you had monitor, mosue, kingston security and power attached to the powerbook. If you want it completley wirelessly, you could get a wireless mouse, and if app,e makes this new video streaming air tunes @ april 1st, you might be able to use that for the screen. Power can not be wireless, and the thieves might not discover the security cable if it's wireless.:p

Heh, no security wire! lol, next year i will be living in an apartment, so its a bit safer than the dorms where everything is unlocked.. i also havn't done it yet, i will purchase safeware! to tally all this up..

Applecare: 240
17inch Monitor 220
Bluetooth KB 55
Airport Extreme 120
1gig Ram 120
Speakers 130 (friend will sell me some used logitechs i think)
Safeware 70
So this summer alone, my powerbook should get $955 worth of stuff.. wow..lol. lets see if this project really gets done or not! I will buy the applecare first.. so i may need to hold off on ram or monitor or something! I guess im going to be surfing the marketplace alot this summer hoping for people to sell things! lol

EDIT: Forget some things..lol

trogdor!

macrumors regular
Mar 7, 2006
definatly invest in a nice bluetooth mouse. Dont get the rf ones because they have those annoying usb dongles. Bluetooth mouse and apple built in bluetooth go together well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.