Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rye9

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 20, 2005
New York (not NYC)
I dont know if this is the right forum... but here it goes. I recently created an avatar from two online images. However, I realize the limit is 19.5KB. But I cant get the file any smaller than 28KB. What can I do? :eek:

rye9

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 20, 2005
New York (not NYC)
~Shard~ said:
Yep. You have to shrink it somehow. Less colors, less resolution, play around with it...

How can I do this? Before, I reduced the quality in Preview by clicking Save As and adjusting the quality, which I guess I cant reduce anymore.. what do I do next?

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
rye9 said:
How can I do this? Before, I reduced the quality in Preview by clicking Save As and adjusting the quality, which I guess I cant reduce anymore.. what do I do next?

Do you have Photoshop?

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
Use smaller pixel dimensions. Scale it down (90%, 80%, 70%, etc.) until it fits within the bytesize limit.

Or post it here as an attachment and others can help you.

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
GraphicConverter is free and can do what you want. My basic technique is to do Save For Web... from Photoshop and then play around with the settings, watching the size and quality. I often start with GIF at perhaps 8 colors and work my way up one at a time (16, 32, 64, etc.), carefully watching my image zoomed-in until I can't see any change when adding more colors (or so little change that it's acceptable). GIF works well for screenshots and some logos where you have only a few colors. Then, you can do the same thing with JPG for continuous-tone images, slowly creeping the compression slider up until you're not noticing any image degradation. I usually prefer GIF over JPG for small images such as avatars, buttons, icons, etc. PNG-24 can provide excellent lossless compression under certain circumstances but its options are limited and generally it's going to be larger than GIF.

OutThere

macrumors 603
Dec 19, 2002
NYC
Doctor Q said:
Or post it here as an attachment and others can help you.

Give that a try...I'd be more than willing to reduce it with ImageReady and put up a few different copies for you to pick what you like. :)

rye9

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 20, 2005
New York (not NYC)
OutThere said:
Give that a try...I'd be more than willing to reduce it with ImageReady and put up a few different copies for you to pick what you like. :)

OK, here it is....dont laugh... :D I appreciate the help a lot!

Attachments

27.6 KB · Views: 122

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
Here's a quickie I did at 85% JPG compression, which is pretty high-quality (low-loss):

attachment_recompressed.jpg

It comes in at about 9K. The problem here is that your image is an already-compressed image, and already has JPG artifacts. You'd want to start with the uncompressed image, and you never want to be doing double compression if you can avoid it (except for lossless compression types).

rye9

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 20, 2005
New York (not NYC)
HiRez said:
It comes in at about 9K. The problem here is that your image is an already-compressed image, and already has JPG artifacts. You'd want to start with the uncompressed image, and you never want to be doing double compression if you can avoid it (except for lossless compression types).

I'm not understanding... why is there a problem if it's already done? :confused: :eek:

panoz7

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2005
Raleigh, NC
rye9 said:
I'm not understanding... why is there a problem if it's already done? :confused: :eek:

I think he's trying to say that it would look better if he recompressed the original file instead of the one that you had allready worked on a bit. JPEG is a lossy format, meaning that everytime you save a new copy some data is lost, and the quality decreases. If the quality looks fine to you right now (and I assume that it does) I wouldn't worry about it. I guess its just advice for the future in that case...

rye9

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 20, 2005
New York (not NYC)
panoz7 said:
I think he's trying to say that it would look better if he recompressed the original file instead of the one that you had allready worked on a bit. JPEG is a lossy format, meaning that everytime you save a new copy some data is lost, and the quality decreases. If the quality looks fine to you right now (and I assume that it does) I wouldn't worry about it. I guess its just advice for the future in that case...

Oh, OK.. well yeah, I guess its fine... the quality doesnt suck... and its totally visible. After all, its only a small little avatar. :)

qpawn

macrumors member
Feb 2, 2003
California
There's little dots in the bottom corners. Something tells me that your magic iPod is being invaded by tiny alien insect creatures. :p

rye9

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 20, 2005
New York (not NYC)
qpawn said:
There's little dots in the bottom corners. Something tells me that your magic iPod is being invaded by tiny alien insect creatures. :p

Lol... yeah, idk why that happened... but originally the background was black and when I changed it white, those dots appeared. :D

virus1

macrumors 65816
Jun 24, 2004
LOST
well shrink it for mercy's sake! the limit of the tar is 70 x 70 px. no need to have that giant thing uploaded.

OutThere

macrumors 603
Dec 19, 2002
NYC
Here ya go...75px high, compressed jpg. Can't really tell what it is when it's sized to scale though. It's about 2kb.

I was going to put up a few different ones for comparison, but really this was completely indistinguishable from the 4k and 9k versions. :)

Attachments

• tar.jpg
    tar.jpg
    2 KB · Views: 232

qpawn

macrumors member
Feb 2, 2003
California
irmongoose said:
qpawn: You're good.
You sound like me when I look into the mirror.... "qpawn, you're good.... and damn sexy!" :D

But seriously, folks... I was merely suggesting a "fix" for the tiny screen problem. Although I can tell it's an OS X desktop when it's zoomed out. Perhaps the new video iPod with a giant widescreen can be used in a future avatar! ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.