Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iJon

macrumors 604
Original poster
Feb 7, 2002
I was reading this link and sounds very interesting. Basically schools can set up what they have done that involves Apple Technology at their local Apple Store. And if parents buy a computer that night, they get 50 dollars off and the their school gets 50 dollars towards a purchase of an Apple product. This is great to see Apple working with the education, especially letting them show off their iMovies and such. Someone will have to tell me how it goes. Here is the link. http://www.apple.com/education/schoolnights/

iJon

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
We tried to get Apple interested in featuring the middle school where I volunteer in some kind of promotion. We have a brand new classroom with all Mac equipment: iMacs for students, G4s for the teacher and TA, and Mac OS X Server running the show. Hey, we've even got brand new tables and chairs. The kids have been doing amazing things with Photoshop and Illustrator because we have a great computer teacher, formerly a graphic artist.

It won't be state of the art forever, but it is now, and we thought Apple and the school would both benefit from publicity.

Thanks for the tip on this program. I'll apply and see what happens!

DakotaGuy

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
South Dakota, USA
Nice idea, but...

This is too little, too late.

Apple might as well concede defeat on the education market. It is sad, but I would guess 80-90% of K-12 schools have converted to PC's. I have my own personal iBook on my desk at school just so I can have a Mac. The school where I teach will not purchase Macs anymore. Price is a consideration and also parents have voiced their opinion to the board of education that they want their kids to learn on what they will be using someday in their careers. It is sad because Macs are excellent education computers, but I guess that is how everything is going anymore...

Oh yeah don't buy Gateway Celeron laptops. We bought a mobile lab and have sent 5 of the 20 back for service. They are junk, but the board of education said NO to iBooks when we bought this crap.

iJon

macrumors 604
Original poster
Feb 7, 2002
Re: Nice idea, but...

Originally posted by Abercrombieboy
This is too little, too late.

Apple might as well concede defeat on the education market. It is sad, but I would guess 80-90% of K-12 schools have converted to PC's. I have my own personal iBook on my desk at school just so I can have a Mac. The school where I teach will not purchase Macs anymore. Price is a consideration and also parents have voiced their opinion to the board of education that they want their kids to learn on what they will be using someday in their careers. It is sad because Macs are excellent education computers, but I guess that is how everything is going anymore...

Oh yeah don't buy Gateway Celeron laptops. We bought a mobile lab and have sent 5 of the 20 back for service. They are junk, but the board of education said NO to iBooks when we bought this crap.
yeah at our school we have all pcs. they are pc's the computer classes built and they are terrible. the one reason i would like macs at our schoool would be because no one would no how to screw them up. we have so much s*** on the computers at school. we have imacs in the newspaper room which i have gotten a lot of students to like. although we are using quark 5 i switched one of the guys to os x and he loves it. I did a multimedia class in high schoool and it was all dont on p2's with no fireiwre or anything. we were using the worse software ever. when we had to do a powerpoint, i did one on apple and one of my slides was "Why Multimedia is Better on a Mac". haha it was great. I really personally feel that with programs like the maine project and stuff, people will learn from that.A itty bitty city that has less than a 1000 people in it which is right next to our city which has about 70000 people in it, ordered a bunch of ibooks for a school program. Apple paid for most of it but still. as long as those ibooks in maine work as advertised and dont break a ton of times more schooos may purchase macs in the future. i cant wait till i get my 12 inch powerbook so i can take it to school and stop lugging around this 9 pound powerbook g3 pismo.

iJon

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
Maybe the free Mac OS X v10.2 for teachers K-12 will also assist in the reversal. Is the eMac popular for educators?

janey

macrumors 603
Dec 20, 2002
sunny los angeles
Just e-mailed my school's comp teacher bout the X For Teachers and the School Night programs. Hopefully our school changes from 80% PC to 80% Mac. :D (crossing my fingers!)

My school is mostly PCs but we do have an mac lab with iMacs. Also all of our science rooms have macs. Unfortunantly they are old iMacs and the all in one precusor to the iMac and they don't have OS X. I hope they update to new iMacs but who knows.

Our Tv studio uses macs for video editing and we will soon be getting more. All of the kids in my class love the macs for editing, many are PC users. Some have even gone out and bought old G4s!!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.