Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gauchogolfer

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jan 28, 2005
American Riviera
These are amazing; done by a guy in Britain, Julian Beever, who makes these 3D-like images.:

mail3lg.jpg

mail19wu.jpg

mail28ab.jpg

joepunk

macrumors 68030
Aug 5, 2004
a profane existence
Pretty cool stuff. Have always wondered what the drawings look like from other angles. Do the drawings have the same 3-D appearance as we see from the photos?

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
joepunk said:
Pretty cool stuff. Have always wondered what the drawings look like from other angles. Do the drawings have the same 3-D appearance as we see from the photos?
I wonder that, too. I really don't think you get the full effect from other angles.

Heh. Reminds me of Mary Poppins and how he drew on the sidewalk... mmm.

Applespider

macrumors G4
I've seen these before too but they are still absolutely amazing.

I hadn't realised that he was British. I keep hoping to come across him some day - he'd make a fortune at Covent Garden if it wasn't
a - so packed theren's no room to draw
b - cobbled :rolleyes:

EDIT: I've just realised where that 'Get Poverty History' one was - and the really annoying thing is that I was in Edinburgh but took the other route out of Waverley station the 2 days of G8! :(

Sdashiki

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2005
Behind the lens
how the hell can he free-hand that stuff?

I would think he takes a photo of the site, photoshops his image and possibly uses a grid system.

the human eye can do amazing things, but cmon, perspective in that sense is a little hard to do alone.

thedude110

macrumors 68020
Jun 13, 2005
Cool, confrontational and necessary.

Whatever it takes to throw people out of the routinized ...

rockthecasbah

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2005
Moorestown, NJ
that so awesome, but i don't get how he is able to calculate the distance he'd need to make it longer to make the pavement art "3D". Does he use computers with like math calculations or what? :eek:

lem0n

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2005
Milano...
so does he draw them with chalk and pastel??? [look like it] :eek: meanign it would be wash away after the rain? pity, those are so pretty...

mcadam

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2004
københavn
Wow - these are cool!

rockthecasbah said:
that so awesome, but i don't get how he is able to calculate the distance he'd need to make it longer to make the pavement art "3D". Does he use computers with like math calculations or what? :eek:

There are many ways to do this... but basic of them all is that you start by establishing a viewpoint. Either on the site, and use it, preferably with an assistant, to draw, check from viewpoint, draw, and so on... Or you do it at home and use it to define the distorted grid, which you then use on the site, drawing it on the pavement.

Easiest method is probably to use a projector, but that's a little cheating. And you can only do it at night.

A

technicolor

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2005
><><><><
BakedBeans said:
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Come on bud, just because someone is unique and talented - it doesnt make him a fraud

Exactly.

Obviously you people have never met anyone with impressive drawing skills, or know anything about perspective. Its kids in my drawing class who could do this technique very easily, and I am sure my illo teacher could it with his eyes close as he is a master at perspective.

Try going to an art school, you will find tons of ppl who can do this. Its not that hard to comprehend....:rolleyes:

Great looking nonetheless, but it doesnt take a computer to do this.

njmac

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
I have never seen these before. That is so cool :cool:

I have seen 3D painting in the sistene chapel and was completely amazed.

Platform

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2004
I really like them, but I had not see them from the "ugly" angle before....great though :cool:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.