Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DMPDX

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 4, 2005
Well I have a little dillema.
I had bought my first apple, a G4 powerbook (rev d) the night that tiger was announced. That night I had discovered 3 dead pixels, a faulty hard drive and to top it all off a faulty super drive. After spending almost 3k I took it back the next morning and exchanged it. Now this powerbook (still a rev. d) wasfine from the outside. It was about 3 weeks down the road when i was advised to run disk utility off of my install disk to see if that would solve an issue I was having with the finder. Disk utility had discovered an invalid leaf record count as well as a bunch of other garbage. I sent it out for repair. It got a ew har drive.
I get the computer back 5 days later. Working pretty much fine. Until about 2 weeks after that when the newly installed hard drive FAILED AGAIN. And by failed I mean a whirl click and no boot. It got sent off was repaire in about 5 days.
When it came back I was horrified to see that apple had scratched the screen, right in the center. Off it went again.
This cycle repeated itself two more times with a keyboard issue and then a warped case issue. This is when about a month and a half ago, a customer support agent offered me a replacement. A nice brand new rev. e powerbook was at my door in 2 weeks. Ive since then opened it, used it, and made a discovery about it. I dont really need a laptop. I would do perfectly fine with an intel core duo imac. So I ask the MR community:
What do you think I could get for this rig?
Rev. E 15" (Hi-Rez) Powerbook 1.67 GHz
Dual Layer Super Drive
ATI Radeon 9700 w/ 128 MB of VRAM
1 GB (Single Stick) of apple installed DDR2 RAM
100 GB 7200 RPM HDD
All original packaging, disks and documentation
Plus one extra power adapter and maybe a brenthaven case (retail 150.00):http://brenthaven.com/catalog-duo.html

I would really appreciate an estimate as my searches on ebay have not given me a good enough idea of what this is worth. I also appologise if I rambled on. I tend to do that...:eek:

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I'd go with the notion that you could get about $200 under retail. I know that you should at least be able to take home $1700 for it.

jamesW135

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2005
Well, If you put it on ebay with a reserve of $1700 you might even get more. Just don't tell what happened to your last PowerBook. Even though it wasn't at all your fault people just won't trust you if you say that.

DMPDX

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 4, 2005
Gooooood.

Thank you everyone,
For your fast reples. I think setting the reserve to 1700 is a good idea. Then I could snag the 20" imac stock, getting me a brand new computer, with more power, for a used laptop. A great deal in my mind. But to clarify, This is a brandnew PB, not repaired, it was flat out replaced by apple. But thats not really important. Ahhh, I feel relieved about this whole situation now. Thanks again everyone,
DSM

slazareth

macrumors regular
Feb 5, 2006
jamesW135 said:
Just don't tell what happened to your last PowerBook. Even though it wasn't at all your fault people just won't trust you if you say that.

HAHAHA!!! That's ironic huh? don't tell the truth or people won't trust you.

I say tell the truth and hope for the best. I believe your story and don't find it hard to believe at all. Anyway, don't lie to people about stuff like that. Its just not cool.

DMPDX

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 4, 2005
I dont know if I completely understand this talk about "being honest". What would it matter that my PREVIOUS computer was faulty. Of course I would say that it was a replacement from apple, but what good, if anything, would it do to explain my story.
Confused but happy,
DSM

bluebomberman

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2005
Queens, NYC
You post the history of your laptop, which is only slightly used. That's the truth. Why bother with all the horror stories about a laptop you're not trying to sell?

DMPDX

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 4, 2005
bluebomberman said:
You post the history of your laptop, which is only slightly used. That's the truth. Why bother with all the horror stories about a laptop you're not trying to sell?
Okay, you make perfect sense. Thats what I thought I was told to do. I'm just always nervous an want to be precise when it comes to my computers. But just a question. If I were to make a trade with someone on this site for an imac, how does it work? After you paypal the person and send your machine off, how do ou know that they will send theirs? It seems very risky. Just a question.
-DSM:cool:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.