Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JD92

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 14, 2005
Hey guys, me again!

Basically, I'm really wanting this Apple event on April 1st to come faster, because I really want Apple to anounce just MacBook.
Theres been a change of plan since my last post, so now im looking to spend upto £750.
I was looking at the iBook G4 which is £699, and I was wondering, if they don't announce a MacBook on April 1st, should I just go for the iBook, or should I keep waiting?
If they do announce the MacBook, I was just looking for some speculation on the following:
1. Will there be an increase in price like there was when Mac Mini went Intel?
2. MacBook Pro took a while to come out after they announced it, dyou think it'll be the same for a MacBook?

Thanks alot,
Jackster

macpastor

macrumors regular
Mar 22, 2006
My opinion, it would be worth the wait. The speed increase alone would be worth the wait. I think if you get an iBook, and then the MacBook comes out you will kick yourself for doing it.

xyian

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2004
PDX
I would wait it out. It should not be long before the Macbook comes out. Apple wants to get as many people who are frustrated with Windows to switch. Especially with the advent of the security issues with Vista, Apple will probably start to pull out the switch campaign again. I wouldn't be surprised to see the new Macbook tomorrow.
Plus, the Macbook is going to make the iBooks look very dated(which they already are). I'm waiting as well.

n-abounds

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2006
The iBook G4 is an absolutely great computer, I love mine.
But I'd wait for a Macbook Novice ;) because the iBooks are outdated, and guaranteed, the new ones will be out shortly. You'll be ready for the future with Intel, and it will have all-around better specs. Wait it out, I'm sure new ones will come in April.
I don't think Apple can afford not to have their new Macbooks shipping in time for the educational buying season. If Apple does make it, there probably will be high demand anyways, so order early.

Demon Hunter

macrumors 68020
Mar 30, 2004
I also agree, the iBook G4 leaves much to be desired. I'd wait for an increase in the screen resolution/brightness alone. If you ever plan on reselling, MacBook should be a much better "investment."

Mord

macrumors G4
Aug 24, 2003
UK
just wait, it's like a few days, the macbooks worth lies on it's graphics card, and i highly suspect we'll be seeing GMA950, if it's an x1300 i'll be happy, anything less and i wont be.

MacSA

macrumors 68000
Jun 4, 2003
UK
But the romour sites speculated that we would see a MacBook at a 30th Anniversary event..but it looks increasingly unlikely that nothing is being planned now. I should also point out that rumour sites were almost certain we would see an Intle Mini at MWSF and iPod shuffle updates. I think they got it totally wrong in the end.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
I love my ibook G4, but I'd wait. Hopefully the macbook will see a brighter/higher res screen, DVI, remote/frontrow, isight/photobooth, and of course a faster processor.

bill4588

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2006
Kennesaw, GA
well there doesnt have to be a big event for apple to release something new. they could just quietly release it....but that would be a shame cuz it's their 30th birthday!! how can you not celebrate that?

mwidjaya

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2004
Australia
Wait...

I say wait for Macbook. No point getting in with a G4 chip at this point. It should be out soon, latest Jul06.

Besides, when Macmini went intel, prices did not go up. You would have paid the same amount once you option in the bluetooth and airport express.

crazydrumma

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2006
Chicago
wait

Tomorrow is April 1st, and the macbooks are going to be so much better than the iBooks, so why not wait? I doubt that there will be a price increase, and it will be a lot faster. I say wait, you won't regret it.

w8ing4intelmacs

macrumors 6502a
Feb 22, 2006
East Coast, US
Of course, last year, everyone speculated that the iBook would be updated at WWDC (in May), but it didn't get updated until late July. If it doesn't debut 4/1, you may be waiting a few months.

Ah, the price you pay to have the latest and greatest.

shadowmoses

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2005
I'm pretty sure we'll see the new MacBooks in the next few weeks, therefore its definatly worth the wait, iBook G4's are getting outdated and as mentioned before a MacBook will be a far better investment, in regards it will hold more value,

Shadow

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
the current ibook G4's have been out since last july, and we know that there are chips (the core solos and duos used in the mini) that will work in the new macbooks. I seriously doubt apple will wait more than a couple more weeks to release the macbook; there's just no reason to.

thehype31

macrumors regular
Mar 31, 2006
I found myself in the same situation, having a need for a small laptop, but not wanting/being able to wait it out... so i jumped on a refurbished 12 inch ibook G4 last week for 799... I figure even if the new intel small laptop comes out, a new ibook for 799 isn't too bad of a deal with the high resale value of macs, and the ibook will serve my needs just fine... So I guess it depends on what you need it for/ are you willing to wait- refurbished is always the way to go too!

JD92

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 14, 2005
damn, that was a really dumb question I asked, of course I should wait for the Intel one :rolleyes:

Although it wouldn't matter, because by the time I have enough the iBook will be long discontinued :p

Demon Hunter

macrumors 68020
Mar 30, 2004
thehype31 said:
I figure even if the new intel small laptop comes out, a new ibook for 799 isn't too bad of a deal with the high resale value of macs, and the ibook will serve my needs just fine...

But the Mac resale axiom has been thrown out. Who would buy a PowerPC in 1-2 years?

Hopefully, Intel will reverse what it's done...

After G

macrumors 68000
Aug 27, 2003
California
Wait. The iBook I'm using right now is a turtle. I wouldn't wish a G4 on anybody.

To answer your questions:
1) Yes
2) No

thehype31

macrumors regular
Mar 31, 2006
dferrara said:
But the Mac resale axiom has been thrown out. Who would buy a PowerPC in 1-2 years?

Hopefully, Intel will reverse what it's done...

All I was simply saying is that buying an ibook now if he has the need for it is worth it as long as it suits his needs... Afterall, after an announcement(which who knows when it will happen... April or June?) there is another month or so wait before the Macbook will be readily available... so if he needs it now, it is not a bad purchase :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.