Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AndrewMT

macrumors regular
Original poster
I am extremely tempted to buy the new 17" Al-book from Apple once it is released. I have a few questions first, and macrumors seems to be a good place to get answers to mac questions.

If there is one complaint I have about my Ti550 (which I am currently typing on right now), it is the small viewing angle. I know lcd screen makers are doing more an more to increase the horizontal viewing radius, but what about the vertical? For instance, I constantly have to move the screen up and down to get the correct color on my screen. Has Apple done anything about this on more recent notebook screens?

I am also aware that Apple has increased the luminosity in the powerbooks released after mine. Can anyone direct me to information regarding these features?

A 17" screen is awesome; however, it won't be very neat if I have to continually adjust the screen and I am limited to low-light conditions.

One more thing: Will the keyboard paint rub off on the screen? I know the Al books have no paint on the case, but what about the keyboard?

law guy

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2003
Western Massachusetts
Re: Apple's Laptop Screens

Originally posted by AndrewMT

One more thing: Will the keyboard paint rub off on the screen? I know the Al books have no paint on the case, but what about the keyboard?

The 17" page on the Apple site describes etched keys - it appers that there is no paint for the lettering anyway - I would assume the keys themselves are color infused in the production process.

"Futuristic backlit keyboard with ambient light sensor
Another first from Apple featured on the new 17-inch PowerBook G4: a unique fiber optic backlit keyboard with laser-etched keys that’s right out of the future."

I haven't seen the screens yet - again wish there were demos in the stores.

ddtlm

macrumors 65816
Aug 20, 2001
idkew:

i wish apple could build a 17" version of that screen and throw it in a powerbook for under $4000.
You do realize that Apple does not build screens, don't you? They buy and package them just like they do with processors, video chips, RAM, hard drives, etc etc.

benixau

macrumors 65816
Oct 9, 2002
Sydney, Australia
when it comes to the components of an apple computer, as the above poster hinted at, just have a think at how mauch they actuially design/make:

CPU: moto/ibm
RAM: various (mailny hitachi/samsung/kensigton)
GPU: ATi/nVidia
HDD: ibm/maxtor/seagate
Optical: various (not apple)
FAN(MDD): Delta
Screen: P - something, i forget
KBD/KBD Hub: Mitsumi Electric
Mouse: Fujitsu Component
Modem: unknown(not apple)

that leaves the case, motherboard and ... really aple just make the os and coare software. oops even then they dont make the core of their OS.

jaguarx

macrumors regular
Jan 5, 2003
London
benixau - don't get quite so cynical, one thing i've learnt in business is that intergration is far harder than any individual component of a project.

irmongoose

macrumors 68030
Originally posted by AndrewMT
If the screen on the 17" powerbook is as nice as the 17" iMac, I will take it. The iMac screen has excellent luminosity as well as a large viewing angle. However, those things could possibly be different in the notebook adaptation.

Steve Jobs said at MWSF that they took the exactly same screen on the 17" iMac and put it on the Powerbook.. he even showed a transition between the iMac screen and the Powerbook screen... don't know how true that is, but in my opinion I think Steve won't lie, even though he does exaggerate.

irmongoose

Jeffx342

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2002
North Andover
Yea that would be amazing if it actually has the imac screen built in. I just baught my 17in PB cant wait. The only thing 10 weeks until it ships ;(

idkew

macrumors 68020
Originally posted by ddtlm
idkew:

You do realize that Apple does not build screens, don't you? They buy and package them just like they do with processors, video chips, RAM, hard drives, etc etc.

well, yes, i do know that. the screens actually might be made by samsung... at lest the g3 powerbook i parted out had a samsung screen...

is there any large HD screens out there that could be powered by a laptop?

Over Achiever

macrumors 68000
Samsung is releasing a 15.4" W(U)XGA (1920 x 1200) LCD this year...that might make it's way to laptops eventually.

And NEC is also releasing a laptop this year with a resolution of 2048 x 1536...I don't know how big the screen actually is tho'.

Got these specs from this article.

Also, I don't think the laptop screens are being made by Samsung...they're made by some company I can't remember tho'. Although I do remember that the same company is making 15.4" screens...must be where the 15.4" powerbook upgrade comes from.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.