Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SolidSnake

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 11, 2005
I am having problems installing Ical. It came with my mac pre-installed but when i removed it because of issues, it no longer will let me install it from the package i got from Apple.com. When i try to install the package it proceeds to install and then says please try again later. If anybody can help me out or give me any advice that would be nice.

stridey

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2005
Massachusetts, Connecticut
SolidSnake said:
I am having problems installing Ical. It came with my mac pre-installed but when i removed it because of issues, it no longer will let me install it from the package i got from Apple.com. When i try to install the package it proceeds to install and then says please try again later. If anybody can help me out or give me any advice that would be nice.

Can you tell us the exact error message you get? Also, have you tried restoring it with the "software restore" cd that came with your computer?

SolidSnake

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 11, 2005
I don't really get an error message, when i open the package installer i click install, insert my password, then it proceeds to install and then it just stops and says try again later. and as for the cd, don't i have to reinstall os x to use the restore cd? i wasn't exactly sure.

stridey

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2005
Massachusetts, Connecticut
SolidSnake said:
I don't really get an error message, when i open the package installer i click install, insert my password, then it proceeds to install and then it just stops and says try again later. and as for the cd, don't i have to reinstall os x to use the restore cd? i wasn't exactly sure.

If it's the software restore, there should be a section where you have the option to customize the install. Doing that, you can choose how much gets reinstalled.

As for the package installer: "says try again later" <- That's the part that an exact quote from would be helpful.

:)

SolidSnake

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 11, 2005
Update, i just tried to install again and now it says this software can't be installed on this computer. I really don't know why.

CoMpX

macrumors 65816
Jun 29, 2005
New Jersey
Here it is step by step:

1. Insert your Tiger DVD.
2. Open it, and select optional installs.
3. Continue
4. Accept
5. Select Macintosh HD.
6. Click the arrow next to applications.
7. Check off iCal.
8. Click install and follow the on-screen instructions the rest of the way through.

SolidSnake

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 11, 2005
Ical is not on the list for custom install, the txt is saying i have to do a full reinstall.

alexstein

macrumors 6502a
Aug 23, 2004
There is a little app called Pacifist that might help you out. It lets you open the installer package to pick certain apps you want to reinstall.

Jackie.Cane

macrumors member
Mar 5, 2006
Canada
alexstein said:
There is a little app called Pacifist that might help you out. It lets you open the installer package to pick certain apps you want to reinstall.

Thanks so much for that link, I had deleted iCal to free up some disk space but needed it back! :cool:

FFTT

macrumors 68030
Apr 17, 2004
A Stoned Throw From Ground Zero
Yup download Pacifist from VersionTracker.

You can use the demo just fine.

After installing Pacifist, you load your OSX disc and it allows you to extract
any application you need so you can re-install just that application.

Donate if you can to a very helpful developer who deserves our support.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.