Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Original poster
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
I'm trying to figure out how to do TV Out on my PowerMac G5, and using monitor spanning, not mirroring. I want to connect to my TV using composite (S-video will work, I'll just need an S-video to composite adapter). Apple has a DVI->TV Out adapter, which would be great, except I'm using the DVI port on my Mac for my monitor (VGA with the adapter that came with it). So, now, I'm left with a useless ADC port. Right now it seems like my only option is to buy a new video card with TV out built in, but that's way more money than I'd like to spend. But there has to be an easier way...does anyone know if something like an ADC->TV adapter exists? Thanks

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
Citizens Bank Park
I'm pretty sure Apple sells a ADC to DVI adapter for about $30. Then hook the DVI to TV adapter to that. Maybe not the best solution, but it should work.

ReanimationLP

macrumors 68030
Jan 8, 2005
On the moon.
grapes911 said:
I'm pretty sure Apple sells a ADC to DVI adapter for about $30. Then hook the DVI to TV adapter to that. Maybe not the best solution, but it should work.

That wont work at all since ADC is all digital.

StealthRider said:
I agree, that sounds like the best option, but I'd be a little wary about adapting the signal from an adapter. Let us know how it goes!

This wont work either due to again, ADC only carries digital signals, not both analog and digital, which is what your VGA monitor and S-video relies on.

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
Citizens Bank Park
ReanimationLP said:
That wont work at all since ADC is all digital.

This wont work either due to again, ADC only carries digital signals, not both analog and digital, which is what your VGA monitor and S-video relies on.

Are you saying that ADC is DVI-D and not DVD-I?

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
Citizens Bank Park
solvs said:
Um, you can buy an ADC to VGA converter for like $30. Then use the DVI port for the video adapter, which is ~$20.
Or get a ADC to DVI converter and use that for the Monitor. Then use the DVI to TV converter on the DVI port on the video card and hook that to the TV.

solvs

macrumors 603
Jun 25, 2002
LaLaLand, CA
grapes911 said:
Or get a ADC to DVI converter and use that for the Monitor. Then use the DVI to TV converter on the DVI port on the video card and hook that to the TV.
But his monitor is VGA. ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.